It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

Windows 10 compatibility with Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

barry48

Windows 10 compatibility with Hauptwerk

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi,
Like most of you, I have been offered an upgrade to Windows 10 for free (must be a catch somewhere...nothing is really free). I am quietly confident that my home office computer running Windows 7 will upgrade with no problems running mostly Office applications. The big question is the organ computer, an i5 processor, Z77 motherboard and 8 G of RAM, also running Win 7.
Does anyone presently run Hauptwerk on Windows 10? If so, what was your experience with Win 10/ Hauptwerk during and after the upgrade? Can all Hauptwerk saved settings be restored to a higher grade operating system? Does the Hauptwerk licencing USB key drivers work on Win 10? I have been told that the Edirol UM-1 MIDI interface drivers may not work with Win 10. (Can't see much on the driver sites).
I would be interested in your views / experiences.
Best regards,
Barry

kwbmusic

Re: Windows 10 compatibility with Hauptwerk

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 8:06 pm

barry48

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks Keith,
I had done a search on the compatibility issue, but most of the posts didn't shown up. Guess I will wait and see the sort of problems others experience before leaping in.
Thanks again
Barry

mdyde

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 3:08 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

kwbmusic

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 12:36 am

Well I have done it!! With a bit of faith in that my RME400 audio /Midi interface had a listed driver for Windows 10 I have installed the new system to my organ PC.
The two disasters were, no driver for my Edirol PCR800 keyboard and the Launchpads (3 of them, 1 of which is the S type) didn't work.
Downloaded a Windows 8 driver for the Launchpads but that didn't work either.
Couldn't find any USB drivers for the keyboard but in a flash of inspiration I realised that I could remove the USB connection and connect with Midi. Yes it worked.
So I now have three working keyboards (2 keyboards and pedalboard previously worked through midi and continued to do so). I'm happy to leave the Launchpads for the moment as I am sure that Novation will release a driver some time soon..
Wow, I can resume breathing!
Keith.

kwbmusic

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 1:24 am

A follow up! I expected all my mid learn settings to be still there. But no, the Windows upgrade wiped them out. I expected to see display lights on my Launchpads but as no information had been retained that would not be so. I now realise the Launchpads do work, but I will have to go through the midi learn process again. More that a dozen organs but so be it
It would appear that I have upgraded and will get everything to work.
Keith

barry48

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 1:31 am

Hello Keith,
Didn't the settings backup within Hauptwerk work with the newer operating system? Re-learning that many organs will be something of a tedious job. I'm not looking forward to that, so may leave it on Win 7...which works well.
Cheers,
Barry

kwbmusic

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 1:57 am

Oh dear. I am relatively experienced with Hauptwerk but I committed the cardinal sin !. Forgot to back up recently. However thanks to your prompting I do have a backup fro a month or two ago. Will try it. Thanks.
Keith

mdyde

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 am

Hello Keith,

Presumably the names that Windows reports for your MIDI devices has changed under Windows 10. If so, Hauptwerk would have reported that the previous devices appeared to be missing (since the only means that Windows provides to identify MIDI ports is by the names that Windows presents for them), and Hauptwerk would have offered you the options to keep settings for the 'missing' MIDI devices and mark the as off-line, or to clear settings relating to them.

Either way, if the device names have changed then you would have to auto-detect settings for them again, since if the devices' names have changed then they will appear to be new devices, so previously auto-detected settings (even if restored from a backup) would no longer be applicable.
Best regards, Martin.

gerrit

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 am

Which raises the question: could it be possible to add in a future HW version an option to switch/copy auto-detect settings from one device to another, even if the source device is no longer connected? I think many users have midi-devices connected via usb and will likely experience this problem when updating to W10. So if this option could be added somewhere within the next year, this could be an enormous time saver!
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 4:36 am

Hello Gerrit,

We do have an enhancement request logged for a wizard (or similar) to allow a user to migrate all settings from one MIDI port to another.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 5:18 am

Could you “bulk” change the midi port by adjusting the midi port in HW’s midi assignment menu?
(“old” = previous name for the midi usb devices; “new” = their current names. You need to know the correspondence between “old” and “new “ !)

You need to do this for each organ
1. Start HW saying the “old” midi devices were temporary offline.
2. Update the HW midi in / out list to include the “new” midi devices
3. Then in each organ looking at the midi assignments for the organ,
for each “old” midi interface,
select all of the stops pistons etc. which were assigned to that “old” interface and change the midi interface to the corresponding “new” midi interface.
4. Take a backup.

When ALL the organs have been updated, restart HW and this time chose the option to delete the “off-line” midi devices.

Whilst not straight forward, it would perhaps be better than having to redo the AutoDetect.
Iain

mdyde

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 5:29 am

Hello Iain,

Yes -- it's possible to do that, although it does mean visiting each of the relevant settings screens for each each of your organs, so it's fiddly (and potentially error-prone) and might possibly not save much time compared to auto-detecting the settings again.
Best regards, Martin.

dhm

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Another alternative would be to change the MIDI In device name (and MIDI Out, if necessary) to "Any enabled port". This saved me a great deal of time when testing different interfaces. It takes a couple of minutes for each sample-set, but only has to be done once.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 3:20 am

A footnote to Douglas' reply: it's very important that you *only* do that if you're only ever have one single MIDI IN port connected at a time. If you do that and have more than one MIDI IN port connected (now or in the future) then you have a high likelihood of getting unexpected results, since you would effectively be preventing Hauptwerk being able to tell some MIDI messages apart (by their MIDI ports).
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs