It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

Allen Theater Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Allen Theater Console

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 am

I've been slowing down but have finally finished another Allen conversion. This one is a theater console that I obtained with most of the original electronics already missing. The bench is borrowed from a Rodgers organ and only a music rack is lacking. It sounds as if a friend will take the console and build the music desk. Working SAMs of course. Largest expense was the trip to Utah to pick it up.

ChangedForever

Re: Allen Theater Console

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 9:46 am

Yippeeee - a new project - thanks for sharing. Looks wonderful. Love your ..."shop"!! Good luck with the customization! Please continue to share your pix with us newbies (like me...)

Nice weekend,
Mark

jkinkennon

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 1:40 pm

My shop looks an awful lot like my garage! The spouse is hoping that she can have half the garage back before winter.

engrssc

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Expression pedal hardware looks somewhat familiar. Nice work on the conversion ! :)

Pray tell, what is that piece of equip on the lower left? Not an undercover toaster I presume. :roll:

One console I built long ago had a large pwr supply that doubled as a bagel warmer. :shock: Fresh bagels with flavored cream cheese and some great tasting Starbucks was my "reward" when I used to pull those all nighter organ building binges. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Thats the original Allen power supply for the SAMs. There are four control lines in that activate 44v output pulses so that the SAMs get switched one division at a time, though so fast that it seems they all switch at once. There's a decent 5v supply inside that chassis as well that I use to power the I2C boards. Also has a circuit that trips the input breaker if any SAMs see more than a short pulse of power.

It's the fact that I can reuse this supply and the driver boards on each Allen SAM that allows me to do the conversions without conventional MIDI decoder boards. That keeps the encoder/decoder costs at about $200.

ChangedForever

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 am

I do like your expression pedals, too! I will be building my two in a few weeks.... I think I have your parts list you were kind enough to post earlier this year (or last....) :idea: .

Thanks for great pic,
Mark

engrssc

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 7:48 pm

jkinkennon wrote:Thats the original Allen power supply for the SAMs.

Part number? I would be interested in finding one from a parted out console that powered SAMs in that manner. Very clever.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:30 am

The part numbers I've seen for the Capture Power Supply are either 905-0086-x or 905-0084-x where 'x' is the revision number. The 0086 version has a higher voltage for draw knobs somewhere near 60V. The 0084 at 44v is for tab stops.

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Please be careful,
"60 Volts is way to much power for any but Allen's high voltage SAM's",
most of the available SAM's, operate on 12 to 14 Volts ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems