It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Custom Couplers

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

darthaido

Custom Couplers

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi everybody. I'm currently working on CODM based on La Trinite Paris (1962 rebuild). I am having trouble with "unison on" and the "anches on/off' ventils (for all divisions). I can get one or the other to work on their own, but not both. Also, I can't get either of them to be displayed on the "controls tab",(I am using ExampleCustomOrgan3 as a template). Any help or alternatives would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

Aido.

ldeutsch

Re: Custom Couplers

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Aido,

I do not know how you are doing this, but I would approach this in the CODM by creating two Hauptwerk divisions for each keyboard. The one that would be physically connected to keys would be for the Jeu de Fonds and contain those ranks. The second, which would not be connected to a keyboard (e.g. floating) would for for the Jeu de Combinaison (or Anches). You can then create the ventil as a regular 8' coupler from the Combinaison division to the Fonds. The only other thing you will have to do is account for all intermanual couplers correctly by having them in pairs (for the corresponding two source divisions) that are wired together.

Les

mdyde

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 3:52 am

Hello Aido,

To add to Les' reply, also have a look at the ExampleCustomOrgan2 organ definition, and in particular how the Choir's 'Swell Reeds' coupler is implemented, for an example of something similar.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

darthaido

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello Les and Martin.
Thanks for the advice. I have the pedal reeds floating and have the "pedal reeds on" working. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the "pedal unison off" working while the "pedal reeds on" is on. I have looked at the ExampleCustomOrgan2 organ definition for hours and tried everything. Apologies if I'm not explaining this very well.

Best regards.

Aido

mdyde

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Hello Aido,

darthaido wrote:I have the pedal reeds floating and have the "pedal reeds on" working. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the "pedal unison off" working while the "pedal reeds on" is on.

Things get trickier with 'unison off' couplers, since you effectively need to 'and' the states of two things together:

- Whether the 'reeds' coupler is on, and:
- Whether the 'unison off' coupler is off.

Note also that a CODM coupler is classified automatically as a 'unison off' coupler if its source and destination division codes are the same and its pitch increment is zero. Hence you would probably want:

- A 'Pedal Reeds' division.
- A 'Pedal Reeds' coupler from the main 'Pedal' keyboard to the 'Pedal Reeds' division's *keyboard* (i.e. set CoupleDestinationKeyboardRatherThanKeyAction=Y).
- A 'Pedal Reeds Unison Off' coupler on the 'Pedal Reeds' division, which copies its state from the main Pedal division's unison-off coupler. (That coupler would then internally couple from the 'Pedal Reeds' division's keyboard to the 'Pedal Reeds' division.)

That way the Pedal Reeds division's keyboard would be coupled to the main Pedal keyboard if, and only if, the Pedal Reeds coupler way on, but the Pedal Reeds ranks would only sound if the 'Pedal Reeds Unison Off' coupler was also *not* drawn.

darthaido wrote:Also, I can't get either of them to be displayed on the "controls tab"

Stops/couplers/tremulants are only included on the default (generated) 'Controls' screen tab if their source division (for combinations) is in the range 1-5, i.e. one of the standard divisions. For other source divisions you would need to use the CustomDisplayN_... attributes to make the virtual controls visible. (The generated 'Controls' tab is only really intended for basic functionality.)
Best regards, Martin.

darthaido

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 9:33 am

Hello Martin.

Thank you very much for your help. All couplers are working perfectly now.

Best regards,
Aido.

mdyde

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks, Aido.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I would like to pick up this thread with another tricky situation: a reeds coupler in combination with a sub-octave coupler.

Division 2 is Grand-Orgue
Division 9 is Combinaisons Grand-Orgue

Division 9 coupled to division 2 is coupler 10011 (custom coupler 2 to manual 1).

Division 2 sub-octave is coupler 1105. However, this coupler does not couple division 9 to division 2 16ft.

I think, that this may be done with an invisible coupler and <CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState> / <CustomCoupler_KeyActionTypeCode>, but I can't see how. Which coupler code can be used, as 10011 is already in use?

Thanks in advance!

Best, Chris

mdyde

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello Chris,

I'm very sorry -- I'm probably not going to be able to look at this for a few days (we need to get Hauptwerk v4.2.2 available as a matter of urgency, so that Hauptwerk can be installed on OS X 10.11).

Is anybody else able to help? If not, please remind me once v4.2.2 has been released and I'll try to look at it properly for you.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks Martin, I can wait...

Chris

mdyde

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 6:06 am

Hello Chris,

My apologies for taking so long to look at this properly.

I think that all you'd need to do would be to create an extra coupler with its attributes set the same as your 10011 (eODSA_Couplers_CustomCoupler2ToManual1) coupler, except for:

- CouplerCode = 10012 (for example, or any other unused number in the eODSA_Couplers_CustomCoupler1ToManual1, ..., eODSA_Couplers_CustomCoupler8ToManual1 range)
- CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState = 10011
- CustomCoupler_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromSourceToDest = -12
- StoreInDivisionalCombinations = N
- StoreInGeneralCombinations = N
- AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput = N
- [Display attributes set not to be displayed.]

Does that do it?

chr.schmitz wrote:Which coupler code can be used, as 10011 is already in use?

Any unused one in that eODSA_Couplers_CustomCoupler1ToManual1, ..., eODSA_Couplers_CustomCoupler8ToManual1 range. Being custom couplers, you can use the codes freely for whatever you like.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Martin,

I am currently traveling. As soon as I am home I will give it a try.

Thanks a lot!

Best, Chris

chr.schmitz

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 5:11 am

Martin,

thanks a lot for your tipps! Everything seems to work now as expected.

Best, Christoph

mdyde

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks, Christoph.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)