It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

Portrait layouts for Krzeszow sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

chr.schmitz

Portrait layouts for Krzeszow sample set

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 am

Hi Hauptwerker,

I am looking for beta testers for a visual enhancement for the Krzeszow sample set (it might even work with the Krzeszow demo). The enhancement is installed as a separate package. It should not touch the original organ.

The original Krzeszow sample set provides only a 1,500x1,000 pixel layout. Due to the photorealistic representation of the stops, it is a little bit difficult to utilize, especially on portrait screens.

I created 6 (3x2) new screens in a 4k resolution (3840x2160). However, as I used only a handful of new graphics elements, it should not be to memory hungry.

The screens in detail:

1. Left and right jambs as extension of original portrait layouts.
2. New left an right jambs (with a reordered stop layout) in landscape mode (these had to be created in order to create the next 2 layouts).
3. New left an right jambs (same reordered stop layout as in 2) in portrait mode.

I put some screen shots on a WordPress website: https://chrschmitz.wordpress.com/krzeszow/

Any comments are most welcome!

I failed to solve one problem. I have not been able to exchange the original couplers of Krzeszow (3 to 2, 2 to 1, and 2 chamber pitch couplers) with a standard couplers (1-P, 2-P, 3-P, 1-2, 3-2, and 3-1). I am still working on that. I would appreciate any advice.

If someone is interested to beta test the visual extension, please drop me note and I will provide a download link.

All the best,
Chris

IainStinson

Re: Portrait layouts for Krzeszow sample set

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 1:47 pm

Your new layouts look very good and will make this fine sample set easier to use. I'd be interested in testing them

Iain

einer_von_weitem

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 3:31 am

Good idea -- the original layout of the stop knobs for the Krzeszów organ is not easy to handle. However, the usefulness of the new screens would be eliminated for me if the original couplers were exchanged for "standard" ones! I want to play the instrument as is, not as I would like it to be. So, by all means ADD standard couplers if you like (ideally they would be graphically distinguished as not being part of the original instrument) but do not remove the original couplers!
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

chr.schmitz

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 am

Hello einer-von-weitem,

thank you very much for your comment!

In the meantime I figured out how to implement the new couplers. Currently I am performing some tests and look into the possibility to add engagement and disengagement sounds („borrowed“ from one of the original couplers).

The original Engler organ has 4 couplers:

Copula 3 couples Brustwerk to Hauptwerk. This coupler is still there as Copula 3-2.
Copula 2 couples Hauptwerk to Positiv. This is a very uncommon coupler. Instead of this coupler you have in the new layout Copula 1-2, which couples Positiv to Hauptwerk.
2 Kammerton couplers.

With both Copula 3 AND 2 engaged, you couple all manual stops to the Positiv. With both Copula 3-2 AND 1-2 engaged, you couple all manual stops to the Hauptwerk (which is nowadays more popular).

I understand the difference:
Originally you may have (Hauptwerk + Positiv) on manual I and Hauptwerk on manual II.
With the new coupler scheme you may have Positiv on manual I and (Hauptwerk + Positiv) on manual II.

I do not understand, why you would need the 2 Kammerton couplers. They make only sense in combination with the Kammerton pedal stops, which I left off in the cleaned up new layout.

In 1737 the Kammerton stops and couplers were a smart idea and great engineering. However, in 2015 with the Hauptwerk software you can easily change the pitch of the whole organ, if required.

In the new layout I tried to remove all stuff, which is probably never used (I know, this might be also true for the valves). Therefore, you don’t find neither the Kammerton stops nor the 2 Kammerton couplers in the new layout.

However, in case you want to be as close to the original as possible, you can still use portrait layout no. 1, which is a cleaned up representation of the original stop layout including the original (Kammerton) stops.

Putting the missing coupler 2-1 back onto one of the screens would not be a major issue - maybe a design issue. But is this coupler really important? If yes, where should it be placed?

Again, thank you very much for your comment!

Best regards,
Chris

seh52

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 am

Great idea!
Is it possible to offer a single screen option with the whole organ, too?

chr.schmitz

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 am

Sure! But unfortunately it's lot of work!

It might be an idea to create a complete new interface with CODM. When I started I just wanted to have a stop layout, which allows to work with easily. The original stop layout is extremely hard to manage.

So I created the first layout. Then I realized, that it was not possible to move a stop easily from the left to the right jamb or from the right to the left jamb. Unfortunately I could not create a new portrait layout with a different stop arrangement without a new landscape layout (with exactly the same rearrangement). This was the reason, why I created also a new landscape layout.

I will keep your request in mind. I have to think a little bit about how to manage this in a smart way. Currently I am limited to 1,500x1,000 pixels for the landscape mode, which will not allow to create a really high-def layout. Maybe a second alternate layout? Hauptwerk 4 allows 3 of them. Unfortunately I always have to start with one 1,500x1,000 pixel layout...

Best, Chris

chr.schmitz

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Last night I figured out, how the couplers can be implement. Done... :D

Today I connected the new couplers with some "borrowed" sounds from other Krzeszow stops and couplers. This was much easier than expected. I added some updated high-res pics on my WordPress site.

Best, Chris

IainStinson

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm pleased to report that I have tried Chris' new portrait layout this evening. It worked very nicely on my touch screens and made the organ much easier to manage. (It installed without any problem.)

I'm very grateful to Chris for this useful enhancement to this sample set.

Iain

chr.schmitz

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 9:42 am

Hi all,

the new layouts are finally done :-) I made all changes directly in the original ODF. Thanks for the valuable input given by all beta testers!

The sample set installs itself with a new UniqueOrganID (001981). For this reason, the original Krzeszow installation is not touched, and the extension can be easily deinstalled. On the other hand all programmings are not taken over. I do not know, whether this, and if yes, how this is possible.

There are several new screen layouts:

- New left and right portrait jambs with the original stop layout.
- A new landscape single screen jamb with additional couplers (1/P, 2/P, 3/P, 1/2, 3/2 and 3/1). This layout is optimized for readability. It does not use the calligraphic font, but instead Arial Narrow. I can read the stop names even on my MacBook.
- New left and right landscape jambs with a modified layout and the above mentioned new couplers.
- New left and right portrait jambs with a modified layout and the above mentioned new couplers.

The landscape screens use the original 1,500 x 1,000 pixel resolution. The portrait screens are made in 4k (3,480 x 2,160 pixels).

The Krzeszow extension can be found here: https://goo.gl/2UEk2g

Have fun!

All the best,
Chris

seh52

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for this tasteful and useful extension! Guest organists will be more likely to play this sample set, now that they can read the screenshot.

Jan Loosman

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Hello Chris

This is great :D
I was waiting for a more simple layout to play this wonderfull organ.
Installation was flawless.

Many thanks!!

Regards Jan

Olivero

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 6:52 am

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot!

Greetings,

Oliver

Arp

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 am

Very nice and helpful.
Thank you, Chris
Pio Micarelli

162_Ranks

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 10:31 am

I was really excited about this until I saw that there was no simplified "single monitor" layout included. I don't have room for Left/Right monitors yet.

Any chance you could find the time to add this?

Jan Loosman

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 11:09 am

I think you are mistaken. I installed it and use the single monitor screen
So it is in the package.

Regards
Jan
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments