It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

Automatising/Recording stop changes in Cubase.

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

mrfdes

Automatising/Recording stop changes in Cubase.

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 6:57 am

Hello,
I am quite happy with the results of the free edition of Hauptwerk, but there is one thing I cannot figure out:
At the moment, there is no keyboard attached yet, but I use Cubase 5 for recording MIDI.

I have not yet found how I can record the stop changes in Cubase.
I have tried to use Advanced MIDI applications/Configure direct MIDI input/output manually, and then setting the stop to note on/off.
This seems to work to some extent, except, the stop(s) in question do (does) not light up, and any further MIDI file keeps using the stop combination that was previously selected.

I have also tried Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually, and I have tried about all the options there, but to no avail at all.

My settings are as follows:
MIDI In: Sequencer In
MIDI Out: Sequencer Out.

In Cubase, the Hauptwerk VST is selected, and I use the Automatsation read/Write settings to record.
Is there anyone who can help me sort out this problem, please?
If so, I have achieved what I want, ie. letting Hauptwerk do exactly what I want.

Thank you in advance.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Automatising/Recording stop changes in Cubase.

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 8:44 am

Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mrfdes

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks, Brett,
however, I have gone through the post you mentioned, and I have also gone through the HW and Cubase manuals, but nothing seems to do the trick.

Thanks anyway.

mdyde

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 9:29 am

Hello mrfdes,

Thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk.

Are you using the current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1)? If not, please upgrade to that first, since there have been various changes in Hauptwerk's sequencer MIDI implementation for better compatibility with Cubase (NRPN handling).

Also, can I first just make sure that you do actually want to use Hauptwerk with Cubase specifically in the way that the tutorials ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-sequencing/ ) cover, i.e. in accordance with the following (from their preamble)?:

The tutorial covers how you can set up Hauptwerk with a MIDI sequencer specifically for recording and playing live solo organ performances in a similar way to Hauptwerk’s built-in MIDI recorder/player, and using the same special, fixed, combination set-independent and hardware-independent MIDI implementation, for the reasons covered in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation' section in the Hauptwerk user guide. This type of configuration, and the associated fixed MIDI implementation, are intended to be appropriate specifically for solo organists playing live and then replaying and editing their performances. To be able to achieve this you need to configure your MIDI sequencer in a particular, and non-conventional, way (covered below), which wouldn’t normally be appropriate for other uses.

In particular, this type of configuration would not normally be appropriate if:

• the MIDI sequencer needs to control multiple virtual instruments simultaneously, as in a conventional recording studio, or:

• MIDI parts need to be recorded or entered by hand directly within the MIDI sequencer (for example, when composing pieces), or:

• the MIDI sequencer is sometimes used with virtual instruments other than Hauptwerk (since it probably wouldn’t then be convenient to reconfigure it before and after using Hauptwerk each time).

In any of those situations, we recommend not configuring Hauptwerk and the MIDI sequencer in the way covered in this tutorial, but instead configuring them in the (more conventional) way covered in the applicable one of the two sections in the user guide: 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally' or 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software'.

The 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 189-194 in the current v4.2.1 version) covers the conventional way to use Hauptwerk with a sequencer, including Cubase. (No separate Cubase tutorial is needed in that case.)

(We don't officially support Cubase 5 any longer, but I don't recall any reasons that it shouldn't work in the same way that's covered by our current Cubase 8.5 tutorial.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mrfdes

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you for all the help so far.
I am nearly there, however, I have the problem that, when I set the MIDI channel of any given keyboard to "Any", it records and executes the stop changes, but some of the notes or none of the notes play.
On the other hand, when I set the MIDI channel to something between 1 and 16, the notes play perfectly, but the stop changes do not execute, although the MIDI messages for the stop changes do appear in the Cubase List Editor.

I assume it is a slight oversight, any further advice, please?

Thank you in advance.

mdyde

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 am

Hello mrfdes,

Are you now trying to set it up exactly as described "Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)" section of the user guide?

If so, to clarify -- that section (page 192 in the current v4.2.1 version) doesn't actually say you should set the MIDI channel to 'any'; it says instead that you should set the MIDI channel to a specific value of your choice, but set the MIDI *port* to '<Any enabled port>'.

You just need the MIDI channels for the events in your Cubase project/track to match the values you've set for them in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.

mrfdes

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 am

Hi,
Thank you for all the help so far.

Things are getting better and better, while I am expanding bit by bit too.
I have now a keyboard attached, this will be more in the future, just like the free edition of Hauptwerk will be upgraded in the future too.

However, I am facing another problem now, and I am not sure what part of the setup to blame:

Everything works as it should when I use the Monaster or St. Anne, but when I use one of the theatre organs, such as Paramount 3-10 or Barton 3-7, when I play one of the manuals on my keyboard, I only get output on the compass of the pedalboard, ie. C-g'.
When I "paint" notes beyond that compass into Cubase they do seem to play.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

mdyde

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello mrfdes,

mrfdes wrote:I have now a keyboard attached

Are you using your MIDI keyboard to record directly into Cubase? I.e. is it enabled as a MIDI port in Cubase?

Are you now trying to set it up exactly as described "Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)" section of the user guide?

If so, you need to make sure that the MIDI keyboard is *not* also enabled anywhere in Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen (as covered in that section of the user guide).

From your description of the problem, I think you probably have the MIDI keyboard playing Hauptwerk directly, which is incorrect.
Best regards, Martin.

mrfdes

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks again.
Now the final point is that the stops are no longer responding.

I mean, they do switch on and off, and they speak, but they are no longer recorded in the MIDI File.

Where in the Handbook can I find more to put this right, please?

mdyde

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 4:15 am

Hello mrfdes,

The whole 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying real-time reverb' section in the user guide (pages 181-199 in the current v4.2.1 version) covers the main ways in which you can use a sequencer with Hauptwerk in detail, and the advantages/disadvantages of each approach.

For sequencing, there are basically two approaches:

1. The method covered in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section (pages 189-194), whereby you configure things manually and insert/record the data into your sequencer directly, rather than recording the events from Hauptwerk. Hence you would need to configure the MIDI events for the virtual pistons/stops (right-click on them and select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...' and insert those events into your sequencer project at the desired locations.

2. The method covered in the 'Recording, playing back and editing live solo performances with a MIDI sequencer dedicated to Hauptwerk (Bi-directional control of the sequencer from Hauptwerk)' sub-section (pages 184-189), whereby you have have full bi-directional recording playback of Hauptwerk's events (as well as full MIDI organ console control/integration ability), but need to set up the sequencer in a special way for Hauptwerk use exclusively. That's the method covered in our Cubase (v8.5) tutorial: https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-sequencing/2015/06/08/hauptwerk-with-cubase/ ... and for which the caveats I mentioned previously apply, i.e. these:

The tutorial covers how you can set up Hauptwerk with a MIDI sequencer specifically for recording and playing live solo organ performances in a similar way to Hauptwerk’s built-in MIDI recorder/player, and using the same special, fixed, combination set-independent and hardware-independent MIDI implementation, for the reasons covered in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation' section in the Hauptwerk user guide. This type of configuration, and the associated fixed MIDI implementation, are intended to be appropriate specifically for solo organists playing live and then replaying and editing their performances. To be able to achieve this you need to configure your MIDI sequencer in a particular, and non-conventional, way (covered below), which wouldn’t normally be appropriate for other uses.

In particular, this type of configuration would not normally be appropriate if:

• the MIDI sequencer needs to control multiple virtual instruments simultaneously, as in a conventional recording studio, or:

• MIDI parts need to be recorded or entered by hand directly within the MIDI sequencer (for example, when composing pieces), or:

• the MIDI sequencer is sometimes used with virtual instruments other than Hauptwerk (since it probably wouldn’t then be convenient to reconfigure it before and after using Hauptwerk each time).

In any of those situations, we recommend not configuring Hauptwerk and the MIDI sequencer in the way covered in this tutorial, but instead configuring them in the (more conventional) way covered in the applicable one of the two sections in the user guide: 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally' or 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software'.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)