It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

Software for Looping Samples

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

subbas32

Software for Looping Samples

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 am

Hello,

Could someone recommend software for looping .wav files? I don't mind paying for a good quality loop finder.

I have tried a few free programs, but I still have samples for which none of these programs finds at least one satisfactory loop.

Thanks, and best regards,

Jake

johnstump_organist

Re: Software for Looping Samples

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Have you tried the one from pipeloops.com. I don't think it is free but I hear it is supposed to be good.
John

subbas32

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 3:19 am

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried the one from pipeloops.com

Unfortunately the software from PipeLoops was discontinued about two years ago.

Best regards,

Jake

mdyde

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 3:46 am

Hello Jake,

Zero-X Seamless Looper was the other major looping tool a few years ago, when I made the original St. Anne's sample set. I don't know off-hand whether that's still available, or whether any other new looping software is available.

If samples have a lot of pitch and/or phase variation, then occasionally they simply can't be looped successfully. Multi-rank sample like mixtures also sometimes have that problem; it may simply be that there aren't any two points at which the pitches and phases match (i.e. that would be successful loop points). In those cases you basically have the following choices:

- Discard the sample and re-pitch a copy from a near neighbour.

- Use a long cross-fade to try to mask the issue. (Not ideal, since it will introduce some phase cancellation and/or the cross-faded portions will be sounding together at slightly different pitches.)

- Perhaps find some software that can analyse and re-synthesize the sample with less movement of pitch/phases.

All are compromises.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

subbas32

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 5:25 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your answer.

Zero-X Seamless Looper was the other major looping tool a few years ago, when I made the original St. Anne's sample set. I don't know off-hand whether that's still available

This software has also been discontinued. As far as I can see, it is only possible to download a demo version which doesn't allow one to save loops.

Best regards,

Jake

mdyde

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 7:05 am

Thanks for the information.

That's a shame.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

toplayer2

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 am

I use Sound Forge for all sample processing. IMO, looping is a learned skill that requires lots of practice. Poorly done loops will be quite audible. Having long samples (6+ seconds) allows more flexibility to find acceptable loop points. Sometimes a particular sample can require a large amount of time and effort to loop so that the looping is inaudible. As Martin said, once in a while a sample is hopeless and it is necessary to repitch a neighboring pipe.

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

RickC

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 am

Yes, SoundForge is excellent. It will do an almost perfect job if you've a great deal of patience and time, and the recordings are well-behaved. Alot faster if the recordings are good (and you're lucky) is LoopAuditioneer. I'm using version 0.7.0.1, and I'm not sure where I got it or if it's still available. Pretty sure it was free.
Some recordings will always be problematic, especially the mixtures. In looking at the Willis Studio Series, at least some of the mixtures are recorded one rank at a time (I'm only looking at the Demo version, unfortunately). That seems to be the ideal way to handle mixtures because of the phase issues, but recording them that way could be extremely difficult.
Rick

itsabird

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello Jake,
Perhaps you could contact forum member NicholasA (Nick Appleton). He has written a program named 'autoloop'. I don't know how good it performs. You could also have a look at his website: http://www.appletonaudio.com/sw-project ... /download/
itsabird

subbas32

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello Joe, Rick, itsabird,

Thanks for your feedback!

I use Sound Forge for all sample processing.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like a nice suite of tools.

Alot faster if the recordings are good (and you're lucky) is LoopAuditioneer.

Perhaps you could contact forum member NicholasA (Nick Appleton). He has written a program named 'autoloop'.

I have used both of these programs in the past and both have given good results most of the time. It's just that every once in a while I encounter a rank which is particularly difficult to loop (sometimes multiple consecutive notes that don't loop well).

Best regards,

Jake

ggoode_sa

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 2:10 am

I use the opensource LoopAuditioneer by Lars Palo. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/loopauditioneer/

It has some nice advanced batch options, as well as sample tuning.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs