It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

why autodetect every time?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

TimR

why autodetect every time?

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 pm

I have to autodetect my keyboard every time I start Hauptwerk.

Is that operator error on my part or just the way it works?

Martin_Dümig

Re: why autodetect every time?

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Hello TimR,

you have to detect your keyboards for each sample set one time, but if you reload this sample set later, it should remember the assignments of keyboards.

How do you shut down your system with Hauptwerk? Does Hauptwerk have the option to store the detected parameters for the next Startup? How do you load your sampleset when you start Hauptwerk?

Do you plug in your keyboard to the same USB-port every time, and is the keyboard plugged in before Hauptwerk is started? Hauptwerk relies on the names of the midi-interfaces. If you plug your keyboard to different USB ports, the names may be different.

It works without problems (most of the time) at my setup.

Best regards - Martin
You can play Bach on every organ.

engrssc

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:44 pm

As Martin mentioned.any changes to the computer (system or software) will cause/require auto-detection to be re-done. If you need to change anything on your computer for any other (than Hauptwerk) purposes, you can (for example) write down the system (connections) that you used for Hauptwerk initially or you can mark the plug connections with coloured tape (or what I use) different colours of nail polish. Everything must be exactly the same as when you shut down Hauptwerk (the last time you used it). This is how Windows works, not from Hauptwerk.software.

Rgds,
Ed

TimR

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Most similar problems have been operator error.

I use the same keyboard, plugged into the same Audio/MIDI interface, a Fasttrack Pro. I turn on the Pro before starting Windows, then start Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk tells me it can't find the Pro and do I want to start off line? So I do, and then the Pro is there, and then I autodetect the keyboards and everything is fine.

It's a bit curious though.

jkinkennon

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 pm

I didn't see the answer as to whether you have Hauptwerk set to start automatically. If so you may need to delay the HW startup a second or two to give Windows time to recognize the audio interface prior to HW starting..

ppytprs

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 7:43 am

I had a customer who had this with a Fast Track. I've stopped using them because of it. I can't remember how he solved it, but I'm sure he did. Try a different USB port.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 5:35 am

Hello Tim,

TimR wrote:I use the same keyboard, plugged into the same Audio/MIDI interface, a Fasttrack Pro. I turn on the Pro before starting Windows, then start Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk tells me it can't find the Pro and do I want to start off line? So I do, and then the Pro is there, and then I autodetect the keyboards and everything is fine.

When Hauptwerk launches, it queries the list of MIDI port names from Windows. If you get that message about your Fast Track Pro MIDI device being missing, but then still subsequently see an entry for your Fast Track Pro device in the list of MIDI ports then it must be the case that Windows (as a result of the device's driver) is reporting a slightly different name for the device/port each time the PC boots, which will result in it appearing to be a completely different device to Hauptwerk (and any other MIDI applications), thus invalidating MIDI settings that you had detected/stored for the 'old' device/port.

Some things you could try:

- Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your PC's motherboard. (Check on its manufacturer's website.) BIOS updates can often fix strange USB issues.

- Make sure that you have all current Windows updates installed. (Use Windows Update to check for updates, apply all available, reboot, then keep repeating until there are no more. Note that you might need to click the 'check for updates' button *twice* before Windows actually performs the check.)

- Just in case it's relevant somehow, try (re-)installing the current version of the driver for the Hauptwerk USB key, which is available on our main downloads page: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ .

- Also make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware installed for any other USB devices you're using on the PC, and especially your audio/MIDI interface(s). (Check on their manufacturers' websites.)

- If your audio/MIDI interface(s) have dedicated mains power supplies then make sure you always use them, to try to ensure that the devices have sufficient power.

- Make sure that you always keep your Fast Track Pro connected to the computer, and powered up, whenever you're using Hauptwerk, and using the same USB port. (If you connect it to a different port then the device's driver, and thus Windows, might report a different name for the device, so you would expect to have to auto-detect settings for it again.)

- If that doesn't solve, try each different USB port on the PC (exit Hauptwerk first etc.), especially any USB 2.0 ports, if available. Perhaps the Fast Track Pro isn't fully compatible with some or all of the USB ports on the PC, especially if USB 3. (USB 2 devices should in theory work in USB 3 ports, but in practice some devices do have compatibility issues.)

- If those things don't solve it, try connecting all of your MIDI interfaces to a good-quality (e.g. Belkin) *powered* (N.B. *not* 'bus-powered') USB 2.0 hub. That should help to ensure that all of the USB devices have enough power, and may also help if any of your USB devices aren't fully compatible with any of the PC's native USB ports. It may also help to stop Windows and/or the driver renaming renumbering USB devices internally.

- Try disconnecting any other non-essential USB devices from the computer, in case they're cause some kind of compatibility problem with your USB-MIDI interfaces.

If none of that solves it then probably the best course of action is to contact M-Audio for support directly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)