It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

Repitching ONE note of a purchased sampleset

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

162_Ranks

Repitching ONE note of a purchased sampleset

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 3:14 pm

I am the owner of a lovely paid sampleset (I won't reveal which one) which is wonderful except for EXACTLY ONE beating mistuned mixture note. The producer does not wish to fix it as it is "historically accurate."

Since it is in the mixture, I can't fix it with the Advanced voicing tools. Is there a "shake-and-bake" set of instructions for simply repitching a neighboring note from the same rank to fix this?

It is an encrypted set if this matters.

Eric Sagmuller

Re: Repitching ONE note of a purchased sampleset

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm

I've had this problem with several sample sets. The mixture note is out of tune within the trio or whatever composition it is, and there is no way to fix it that I know of as each mixture note is recorded with all pipes playing at the same time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I wish there was a way to fix it.

Eric

ReinerS

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi,
if it is an encrypted set, there is nothing you can do (since you cannot repitch the sample itself and you cannot edit the definition file).
Unfortunately, if the producer is not fixing it, there is nothing you can do yourself.

Best regards
Reiner

ldeutsch

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 5:24 pm

If the mixture was sampled as a single rank (as if often the case) then the only way to completely fix this is to go back to the original pipe organ, tune the errant pipe, and resample the note. If the samples were not encrypted, you might try writing some inverse Fourier transform software to separate the errant pipe from the rest of the ranks - but even thought this is possible, I would not recommend it ...

You could also write a CODM version of the organ and leave out the errant sample. The CODM will interpolate the missing note from the ones on either side, which I assume are in tune. As long as this note is not at a brake in the mixture, this technique would work.

Les

162_Ranks

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Hmmm -- that is frustrating. Is there an active feature request to allow the voicing tools to substitute a neighboring note without having to build a whole CODM organ (which I have not idea how to do)?

If not, I'll create one.

ldeutsch

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 10:58 pm

That's a great idea. As it stands, if the sample set is missing a pipe that the ODF requires, HW generates an error and stops loading. Perhaps someone should move this topic to "suggested enhancements."

Les

ludu

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 5:18 am

I agree. A feature allowing the voicing tool to substitute an adjoining note should be great, not only for mixtures but also for notes sometimes so much detuned that it's impossible to reach the correct tune.
Luc

jrball

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Would this work?
Use a speaker and mic to record an adjacent note; assuming the same breaks.
Repitch it in a new wave file.
Trim and add markers.
Replace the old encrypted file with the new wav file.
Will Hauptwerk allow a single unencrypted note?

ReinerS

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 1:06 pm

simple answer:
no
actually, Hauptwerk has no problem using a mix of encrypted and unencrypted file, but each one has to be specified correctly in the definition file. SInce that is also encrypted, you can't edit it.

162_Ranks

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 10:00 am

I sent a feature request to MDA to add this capability to the Advanced Voicing tools. Fingers crossed!

mdyde

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 7:43 am

162_Ranks wrote: Is there an active feature request to allow the voicing tools to substitute a neighboring note without having to build a whole CODM organ (which I have not idea how to do)?

ldeutsch wrote:That's a great idea. As it stands, if the sample set is missing a pipe that the ODF requires, HW generates an error and stops loading.

ludu wrote:I agree. A feature allowing the voicing tool to substitute an adjoining note should be great, not only for mixtures but also for notes sometimes so much detuned that it's impossible to reach the correct tune.

Hello 162_Ranks/Les/Luc,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've logged it as an enhancement request for future longer-term consideration, although implementing it generically, i.e. in such a way that it worked properly with any rank from of any sample set (for those sample sets for which their producers' licences would allow it), would actually potentially be very involved (e.g. because sample sets fairly often have different configurations of attack/release samples for different pipes, even neighbouring ones, different per-pipe settings that affect how the samples are played/loaded in terms of loops/markers/reading sample pitch information/etc., and since simply re-pitching a another sample by a fairly large amount may sound unnatural, and would also potentially require per-pipe anti-aliasing filters being applied).

The Custom Organ Design Module is designed to handle re-pitching pipes from their neighbours automatically (it generates the organ definition file from scratch based on the samples present, rather than having to rely on the existing pipe/sample settings that the sample set producer has specified in their existing organ definition), but I do of course appreciate that creating your own CODM organ definition is a significant amount of work if you only want to change one pipe.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)