It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

My new Hauptwerk setup

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Mike Ludwig

My new Hauptwerk setup

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks to the outstanding support received from Martin, my new setup is up and running beautifully. It is truly like being at a real pipe organ and reminds me when I used to practice at St. Pauls Cathedral here in Southern California. Not visible in the photo is an Alesis surround sound system in which I hung satellite speakers about 7 feet from the floor (my ciilings are about 15 feet high), in about a 10-foot square around me. They produce a very realistic sound! Thanks for an amazing program!

Mike Ludwig

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 2:07 pm

Here's a shot of the studio showing the high ceilings that I think help produce a very realistic sound when playing.

Mick Berg

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello Midiwriter.
Could you please email me personally at mickberg@aol.com.
You say you used to practise at St. Paul's Cathedral. If that's San Diego, I have their old Klann console (from the Moller) with Hauptwerk installed. I'd like to talk with you.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Mike Ludwig

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes that's me. I will email you, but do you have any photos you could post here? That sounds very interesting!
Mike

Anton Heger

PostFri Jan 05, 2007 4:07 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the photographs! Can you give some details about your Alesis sound system? Typenumber etc.? And how sounds the 16 feet bas tones?
Until now I am using a headphone (a sennheiser hd205) and that sounds very good, but sometimes I would like to play organ without it! And then is my search for a soundsetup which is also able to reproduce the lowest bas tones with a satisfying quality.

Kind regards,
Anton Heger

Mike Ludwig

PostFri Jan 05, 2007 11:41 am

Hello Anton and everyone, yes I forgot to mention the bass! It delivers very realistic bass reproduction down to the lowest stop. It literally shakes the building even at low volumes due to the clearity of sound.

It is an Alesis ProActive 5.1, and I got it from Guitar Center. Here is the web link:
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=25

It has 500 watts of power, and here is its subwoofer:

It comes with a certified Dolby decoder, and it will faithfully create a surround signal from a stereo input with one of the decoder's digital effects. Here is the decoder's control panel:
It will accept either direct analog input or digital coax or optical, depending on the connections you can feed it from your computer or sound source.
It is perfect for hauptwerk because I feel it faithfully reproduces sounds from the highest squeak to the lowest rumble. As an experiment I deactivated all sound but the subwoofer, and hit the lowest notes, and you hear just a low rumble and see the windows and doors shake!

Return to General discussion