It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

iStop (Intelligent Stop) - new MIDI Boutique product!!

A forum for Hauptwerk hardware vendors to post information about their products.
  • Author

jdp

iStop (Intelligent Stop) - new MIDI Boutique product!!

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 8:18 am

Dear Friends,

Today we announce the release of our new product - iStop.
(Promotional code at the end of this announce!)

This is the MIDI control unit which you needed to build stop jambs with "live stop labels".
This unit works simultaneously as LCD "label" controller and stop encoder-decoder/driver.
It can work with SAM/SDK solenoid-operated stop switches as well as with lighted momentary pistons.

When working with SAM/SDK switch:
- Upon Stop On/Off command received from Hauptwerk (for example on preset recall), iStop unit will move the SAM/SDK switch to proper position to reflect the new stop status.
- Upon manual change of SAM/SDK switch, iStop unit will send to Hauptwerk status update message.

When working with lighted piston or combination of momentary switch and LED:
- Upon Stop On/Off command received from Hauptwerk (for example on preset recall), iStop unit will update the status of the LED to reflect the stop status.
- Upon manual piston/switch actuation, iStop unit will send to Hauptwerk status update message.

The 2x8 LCD display on iStop supports Hauptwerk text message protocol so that it can be updated upon loading each sampleset to actual stop name.

Each iStop unit has three essential parameters to make it unique within same Hauptwerk installation:
- Hauptwerk LCD ID for the display;
- Stop Channel;
- Stop Note.

The LCD display will respond to Hauptwerk text message addressed to its ID.
The stop will respond to that Stop Note on Stop Channel when controlled by Hauptwerk and will send that Stop Note on that Stop Channel when manually operated.

There are few more user-configurable parameters.

All parameters are uploaded by device-specific SysEx messages.
We have developed free Windows utility for this purpose, but since the SysEx format is open, the unit can be configured using third-party software, sequencers etc.

Last but not least: iStop is chainable. Many units can be chained on single MIDI line so that entire set has common MIDI input and MIDI output. This woud greatly simplify the wiring and installation.

We offer various iStop sets (bundles) at verrry reasonable prices.

More details can be found on product pages:
http://www.midiboutique.com/index.php?r ... arch=istop

The promotional 15% discount is valid between 12 February and 12th March 2016 for all iStop related bundles to everyone that used following promotional code:
ISTOPPROMO

Jordan
http://www.midiboutique.com

IainStinson

Re: iStop (Intelligent Stop) - new MIDI Boutique product!!

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 9:25 am

This looks most interesting and quite a good size 5.8 x 3.3 x 2.9 cm (2.3 x1.3 x1.1 inches) (width x height x depth ?) and could work well with conventional stops to provide a console that adapts to the samples set loaded. It might be nice to have a simpler way to set the stop names than entering them into the HW LCD configuration page. The links to the SAM connections is a really good idea.

It is a pity that this is not combined with a switch so that you could touch/press the display to change the state of the stop rather than having to hook it up to a separate stop knob or key. Perhaps an alternative product?

I hope Midi Boutique do well with this!

iain

jdp

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Iain,

In fact each iStop can be user-configured to display static text.
But this would turn it into static lighted label, right?

The idea here is to have labels controlled by Hauptwerk per loaded sample set.

How do you imagine combining LCD display with switch? Making the LCD itself act as switch?
Adding mechanical switch behind LCD would add cost. Plus a lot of mechanical issues related to LCD movement guiding, etc.
Adding touch sensitive mask to LCD is more possible, but would add even more cost.
We could try this as customization on iStop...

Our goal was to offer cost-effective 3-in-1 solution for Hauptwerk stops, without need of separate MIDI scanner-encoder, MIDI decoder-driver and set of LCD modules.

Exotic ideas are always welcome but not always feasible :)

Jordan

NickNelson

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 pm

jdp wrote:Exotic ideas are always welcome but not always feasible.

I've been tinkering with something along the same lines intermittently. Rather than using a lamp of some sort to indicate the stop state, I thought it might be effective to just invert the display - this of course doesn't require repainting the characters as there is usually a single command to the LCD to do it. Changing the background colour would be another possibility.

Nick

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

I was wondering too, the black with green background say incandescent backlight. What would the life be on this?

Eric

jdp

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 1:08 pm

NickNelson wrote:
jdp wrote:Exotic ideas are always welcome but not always feasible.

I've been tinkering with something along the same lines intermittently. Rather than using a lamp of some sort to indicate the stop state, I thought it might be effective to just invert the display - this of course doesn't require repainting the characters as there is usually a single command to the LCD to do it. Changing the background colour would be another possibility.
Nick

Nice idea which only requires firmware modification.
Putting this in improvements checklist :)

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I was wondering too, the black with green background say incandescent backlight. What would the life be on this?
Eric

Thank you for reading carefully :)
In fact they are all LED. A stupid copy-paste mistake.
Fixed already.

Jordan

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 1:40 pm

I wondered as LEDs or CFLs are normally used.

Thanks,
Eric

Romanos

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 am

I thought that Johannus really hit on a genius idea with their new consoles- where you change samples and the stop knobs all have their own e-ink displays that change too. Looks like we could finally do this with hauptwerk! I'm not able to build a new console at this time, but you can better believe I'm going to work these into the budget once I get to build a new console! This. Is. Awesome!

organtechnology

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Romanos wrote:I thought that Johannus really hit on a genius idea with their new consoles- where you change samples and the stop knobs all have their own e-ink displays that change too. Looks like we could finally do this with hauptwerk! I'm not able to build a new console at this time, but you can better believe I'm going to work these into the budget once I get to build a new console! This. Is. Awesome!

Can you supply more information about this technology? Such as what model is it in or where you saw it on an organ?

Thanks,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Romanos

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 12:34 pm

http://www.johannus.com/en-eu/collection/home-organs/live/iii

Their new LiVE series has e-ink displays that change with each sample set. Still doesn't sound nearly as good as Hauptwerk, but is essentially this idea in practice. This is a relatively new model and I'm not sure it is even being sold in the US.

Romanos

RichardW

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 am

I think e-ink is a proprietary name and e-paper is the more generic equivalent.

In my mind's eye I envisage the mid-level system being like the Johannus example. Then the high level product would have drawknobs with circular insets in the ends to more closely resemble some more traditional implementations. If the system could be modular all the better.

Those two versions are obviously organ-specific but a more popular option would be to make something more like a Novation Launchpad with a display in each button. That would be useful for Hauptwerk and also other MIDI users.

Interesting times.
Richard

Romanos

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 10:10 am

RichardW wrote:Then the high level product would have drawknobs with circular insets in the ends to more closely resemble some more traditional implementations.
Interesting times.

I too had envisaged such a thing. Round e-paper displays are manufactured (think the one model of the pebble watch) that could make for great stop knob heads. Further still- they are color e-paper displays. You could even have reeds in red!

oliver_mayes

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 2:09 pm

I have download the instructions and cannot find any dimensions. Not on website either.
Does anyone know the dimensions of
(1) the circuit board
(2) the bezel around the screen
(3) the screen
I am trying to make a CAD drawing to make stop panels with lighted drawknobs.
Ollie

organtechnology

PostThu Jun 02, 2016 2:51 pm

oliver_mayes wrote:I have download the instructions and cannot find any dimensions. Not on website either.
Does anyone know the dimensions of
(1) the circuit board
(2) the bezel around the screen
(3) the screen
I am trying to make a CAD drawing to make stop panels with lighted drawknobs.
Ollie

Look in section 5 of the istop_usman.pdf manual.
dimensions 5.8 cm W x 3.3 cm H x 2.9 cm D; approx 2.3 in x 1.3 in x 1.1 in
2 rows of 8 characters.

but I think you hve these so ask Jordan directly.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.
Next

Return to Vendors (consoles & MIDI/computer hardware)