It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

How or where to learn the pronounciations of organ stops?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Christian Liu

How or where to learn the pronounciations of organ stops?

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm

English is so far the only foreign language that I can read and write, but most of the names of organ stops are non-English.
Then, How, or where, can I learn the right pronounciations of them? Thank you all!

Best Wishes,
Christian Liu

telemanr

Re: How or where to learn the pronounciations of organ stops

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:21 pm

You might ask here if you are in doubt.
For instance Salicional is pronounced Sal-ish-un-al with the stress on the second syllable. Slurred all together of course.
And Diapason is Di-a-pay-zun accent on third syllable. Di as in die, a like the a in at.
These examples might not work without some explaining of how to pronounce each syllable as I've done for Diapason.
Rob Enns

organsRgreat

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 pm

What about starting with Hauptwerk itself? In England I've heard

Horpt work – which I think must be wrong

Howpt work – which seems an acceptable compromise

My guess is that a native German speaker would say Howpt verrk. What is usual in English-speaking countries, and does American pronunciation differ? I believe the word should be pronunciation, not pronounciation? No disrespect to the original poster – I was always useless at languages at school! And again, American usage may differ - like color (American) and colour (England).

telemanr

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 pm

I would say Howptwayrk usually or Howptverk if I were being very Teutonic or perhaps a tad precious.
I'm Canadian but I don't think Americans would be much different with the first pronunciation. Perhaps Howpwerk if they had never analyzed or really looked at the word carefully. That would apply equally to a Canadian.
Rob Enns

RichardW

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 pm

My old French master used to tell the story of a person who refused to come to the UK until he could pronounce every English word absolutely perfectly. You also need to know that we had, and still have, an extremely successful play in London called "The Mousetrap". I believe it is now in its 64th year.

When said person decided he had perfected the language he took a boat to England and the train to London. The first thing he saw upon arrival at the train station was a newspaper billboard with the headline:
Mousetrap Pronounced Success
He got straight back on the train!
Richard

Christian Liu

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 7:11 pm

organsRgreat wrote:What about starting with Hauptwerk itself? In England I've heard

Horpt work – which I think must be wrong

Howpt work – which seems an acceptable compromise

My guess is that a native German speaker would say Howpt verrk. What is usual in English-speaking countries, and does American pronunciation differ? I believe the word should be pronunciation, not pronounciation? No disrespect to the original poster – I was always useless at languages at school! And again, American usage may differ - like color (American) and colour (England).

I'm really sorry, I made this foolish mistake in spelling. It should be "pronunciation".

telemanr

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Spelling errors such as that are not really important. No need to apologize.
Rob Enns

Return to Performance practice