It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Mac Demo Installation Error

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

spf3054

Mac Demo Installation Error

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Hello,

I've been interested in the Hauptwerk system and am trying to install it on a new MacBook Pro to test some of the features before investing in all the components and a dedicated computer. I've downloaded the software and when trying to install receive the following message:

Warning
The following disk images couldn't be opened.
Image: InstallHauptwerk_v4.2.1.003.dmg
Reason: Protocol wrong type for socket

I tried searching for this error and couldn't find anything specific to Hauptwerk, but did find reference to this indicating the OS is too new for the software trying to be installed. Is this the case, and if so what are my options?

The MacBook has OS X El Capitan version 10.11.5, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, and 8gb RAM. Not a Hauptwerk specialized computer, but I believe it satisfies minimums to at least run the demo. I've also downloaded the demo twice and receive the same message.

Thanks for your help,
Stephen Freeman

organtechnology

Re: Mac Demo Installation Error

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi,

I think OSX 10.11.4 works but it appears that 10.11.5 is too new for now. Martin usually catches up within a few weeks but you may try rolling back to 10.11.4 if possible.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 am

Hello Stephen/Thomas,

Thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk.

The current version of Hauptwerk (v4.2.1) definitely does extract, install and work properly on OS X 10.11.5. I just checked again, for good measure. Sometimes we need to produce updated versions of Hauptwerk for major new operating system versions, but that shouldn't be necessary for minor ones.

From a brief internet search of 'dmg Protocol wrong type for socket', it appears that some people started getting that error when trying to open any .dmg files after the OS X 10.11.5 update, so presumably it's a bug in the OS X 10.11.5 upgrade itself that affects some Macs. Perhaps try:

- Reboot the Mac.

- If that doesn't solve it, make sure that the downloaded file has the same MD5 checksum that's listed on our downloads page for it, i.e. make sure that the file downloaded in full and isn't corrupted.

- If that doesn't solve it, see whether you can open any other .dmg files.

- If not, performing a clean re-installation of OS X 10.11.5 might well fix it (although I appreciate that's something that you might prefer to avoid).

- Failing that, perhaps try contacting Apple for support.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks Martin. Is OSX 10.11.5 the latest?

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 am

I'm running OS X 10.11.6 public beta 3 so it's not a released OS yet. Will be trying a fresh load of HW later today and will report my results. I'm betting it will work fine.

EDIT: Had no difficulties loading Hauptwerk on my Mac Mini using the above beta OS.
Last edited by jkinkennon on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 12:07 pm

organtechnology wrote:Thanks Martin. Is OSX 10.11.5 the latest?

Hello Thomas,

Yes -- OS X 10.11.5 is Apple's latest publicly-released (non-beta) operating system version.
Best regards, Martin.

spf3054

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Thank you all for the trouble shooting suggestions. I ended up having to go into Recovery Mode to re-install the OS. After doing so the Hauptwerk software installed and is working great.

The only problem I am having now is the strong desire to use more than just the trackpad to pull stops and play one key at a time! :lol:

mdyde

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 am

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you managed to get it resolved.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 am

jkinkennon wrote:Had no difficulties loading Hauptwerk on my Mac Mini using the above beta OS.

How much RAM are you using and which vintage of the Mini? Any notable advantages using this new OS? Just curious.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 pm

engrssc wrote:
jkinkennon wrote:Had no difficulties loading Hauptwerk on my Mac Mini using the above beta OS.

How much RAM are you using and which vintage of the Mini? Any notable advantages using this new OS?

Don't recall seeing an answer regarding the above.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Heavens, I don't try to keep up with OS changes. I'm running 10.12.1 Beta at the moment but haven't used HW on the Mac-mini except to load it a time or two in the last 6 months. It's an i7 (late 2012) vintage with 16GB of RAM. I do all my normal computing on it now since the RAM is not expandable at least at this time.

I've got HW on my PC with 96GB for the full Goerlitz. Unfortunately I don't have a console in the house at the moment and keep building other people's consoles first so lately I've played Hauptwerk a few times from a Roland keyboard only. I'm thinking of cutting the top off a three manual Rodgers, refinishing the bottom and adding a new desk surface as I will try touch screens for a bit. This Rodgers has four swell shoes and the usual full AGO pedalboard. But I'm rambling on...

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)