It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

A New Console In Memphis

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Marc Cerisier

A New Console In Memphis

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 pm

I'm thrilled to share some pictures of the beautiful console Matt Arnold (Custom Organ Works) built for me.

Console:

Keyboards:

Pedalboard:

Bench:

Most of the console is constructed from cherry, with the naturals (manual and pedal), piston rails, expression shoes and foot rest made from maple. The base keyboard frame is Fatar, and the wooden keys were manufactured by Matt. The pedalboard is 30 notes, parallel-concave. There are strips of led lights shining up and down from the music rack, and over the pedals that are on a single dimmer. I'm using it with a 2008 Mac Pro and a dated, but very inexpensive Elo touch monitor (free Mac drivers). The monitor is mounted on a simple arm (through-bolted, not compression mounted) that I picked up at Micro Center.

I'm using the built in Mac audio at the moment, output either to Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers or to Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I'm sure I might upgrade the audio at some point in the future, but the point of the console for me is practice, not realistic playback—though I must admit that I'm very pleased with the sound quality. The console connects to the Mac with a MOTU Micro Express midi module I had on hand already.

At the moment, I'm playing the St. John Cantius sample set so graciously provided by Piotr Grabowski (more info here). It's disposition is similar enough to my "work" organ that it is very comfortable to play and register.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and Matt—feel free to chime in if I've misrepresented anything about the console. I truly can't speak highly enough about Matt. It felt a bit odd to design a custom MIDI console entirely over the internet and phone with a builder I've not (yet) met, but it turned out wonderfully.

Marc Cerisier
Memphis, TN

engrssc

Re: A New Console In Memphis

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Indeed reason to be thrilled. Very clean lines and the quality certainly shows. Congrats.

Rgds,
Ed

profeluisegarcia

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Lovely instrument. I share your enthusiasm. :D
Perhaps you also will feel sorry for not being able to take it in your trips¡ :( ¡
Luis

ChangedForever

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Marc --- very nice!! Thanks for sharing! I bet you'll have lots of fun playing! Love the Maple keys!

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

Romanos

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Very lovely. Nothing beats an organ at home! (But perhaps an organ at church.)

I was still working on my MM in performance at the time I acquired my console. A lot of my friends poo-pooed me and thought it seemed frivolous or a waste. How wrong they are! I play all the time. And few things are as awesome as practicing late at night, in your bathrobe, at home nice and warm in the dead of winter, before sliding off the bench, walking twenty feet and going right to bed. None of that 'pack up everything and haul it to church in bad weather at odd hours to practice' thing! And guess what? When all the practice rooms were taken, I had somewhere to practice (dry samplesets are great for learning notes and there are some good ones out there) while they had to wait. And all those little moments where you are in the mood to play for 10 minutes can finally be taken advantage of. Better still? Sunday morning warm-up at home before even going to church! (This is particularly useful to me since my church job is an hour away from home.)

Happy playing and all the best to you as your system grows (and in all likelihood, it will grow whether you mean for it to happen or not! :lol: )

fermata

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 3:30 pm

I love your console, and the fact that you darkened the stems of the accidentals on your pedalboard. I will do the same!

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems