It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

Zutphen Baderorgel for Hauptwerk

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Zutphen Baderorgel for Hauptwerk

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 am

The eight months of the work-of-love are over now, and I have the pleasure to introduce the Zutphen Baderorgel Sample Set for Hauptwerk. It is one of the most famous Dutch organs, the finest surviving example of the work of the organbuilder Hans Henrich Bader, built in the first half of the 17th century, later enlarged, recently carefuly restored.

The instrument consists of 3 manuals and a pedal, alltogether 38 sounding stops.

The sample set can be used in Hauptwerk version 4.2 and higher, the Advanced version is necessary due to the size of the virtual instrument. It is available in a surround (6-channels) and a separate 2-channel variant exists in the form of the semi-dry sample set.

The sample set is encrypted, hence no use outside Hauptwerk is possible. The listening position of the surround variant can be varied via a built-in mixer. The result is achieved by blending the direct and diffuse virtual pipes in any desired ratio.

More details, including the specification and audio demo samples of the instrument may be found on the Sonus Paradisi web pages: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/t ... model.html

Sincerely,

Jiri Zurek
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

adri

Re: Zutphen Baderorgel for Hauptwerk

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 5:22 pm

zurek

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Many users asked for a demo sample set of the Zutphen virtual organ. I uploaded one small set now. It is accessiblefrom the web presentation of the sample set.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

josq

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks, I am curious! I am wondering how the sample set handles the Bovenwerk when both tremulants are engaged.

murph

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Very nice demo.
This set has the best example of how rears SHOULD sound that I have heard, yet.
Have sample set producers finally figured out to use cardioids (or hyper-cardioids?) for rears? (and diffuse fronts?)

Hopefully more of the same is forthcoming!!

zurek

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 am

The Bovenwerk and the two tremulants: on real organ, you can engage both tremulants simultaneously. In Hauptwerk, theoretically, if using the artificial tremulant, then, there is no problem and both tremulants could be eventually turned on - as on the real organ. However, there is no musical result on the real organ when both tremulants are switched on at the same time, such use is excluded if you want to produce nice music.

Therefore, in the model, the tremulants are exclusive, only one can work at any given moment.

Yours,
Jiri
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

OrganoPleno

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 am

zurek wrote:The Bovenwerk and the two tremulants...

Very much enjoying the new Zutphen Organ! The tremulants in particular are the nicest I've found on any sample set. Entirely pleasing.

For the moment, I've loaded just the "diffuse" samples, until I get a new computer with sufficient RAM. But I did a test load with each division, one division at a time, using the full acoustic (direct, diffuse, and rear) which amply demonstrated how much more additional character and richness can be achieved that way.

But even with diffuse alone, the Organ is quite a pleasure.

zurek

PostThu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 am

The installation DVDs for Zutphen finally arrived today from the factory, for anyone who needs to order them (in addition to download, which is always possible from the Sonus Paradisi web pages).
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

hsiegers

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 7:55 am

Hello all,
I have purchased this sample set a month ago, the surround version.
Loaded only the front - and rear samples without the tremmed ones as much as possible in 20 bit.
The pedaal device in 16 bit to save memory.
I have only 14 gig RAM to use, so it barely fits.
I have made some adjustments in Hauptwerk to get more realistic and better sound quality, when the organ is fully played some reeds (mixtuur for example) are too soft in sound and cearity.
Further on the full Rugwerk section needs to be a little bit higher in pitch to get better sound quality.

I want to recommend this sample set to you all, because it it marvellous how it sounds.
There was some comment about this sample set, nevertheless this is the money more than worth!

Harm

zurek

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 7:46 am

It is interesting. When preparing the v 1.0 of the ODF for the Zutphen Surround sample set, I decided to set the internal Hauptwerk brilliance settings to -1.4 dB for the Direct samples, and -2.5 for the Diffuse and Rear samples. This decision was due to the fact, that on all my testing setup, the sample set appeared to be shrilling too much. On headphones, as well as on several different speaker groups. Adjusting the Hauptwerk equalizer resulted to balanced and coherent sound to my ears. None of my beta testers protested, on the contrary, after I made this adjustment, one of them replied with an enthusiastic comment. I was sure that this settings is the correct settings to make the sample set the most fitting the "spirit" of the original organ.

Nevertheless, it was reported to me, that several users on the Dutch Hauptwerk forum expressed their criticism, now I can read it also here: that the virtual organ lacked the clarity. Well, it is certainly not true on each of my Hauptwerk setups for my ears or for the ears of my beta-testers. However, well, it is probably time to re-consider the topic, based on the criticism of the several users.
I prepared the ODF v. 1.1 where the brilliance settings is -0.3 for the direct and -0.6 for the diffuse and rear channels. It still leaves some headroom against shrilling, and certainly the brilliance is close to the default value. The update can be downloaded from the Sonus Paradisi web.

The pitch deviation of the samples was adjusted and left within the +-5 cent range in the original version, although this creates room for audibly mistuned samples here and there - however, many users argue that this improves the realism of the virtual organ. However, those who like to play the organ very well in tune, can use any of the Temperament charts. The Zutphen temperament is similar to Valotti-Young. Nevertheless, I have added a special Temperament chart to the 1.1 update called "Zupthen Baderorgel" which is the temperament read from the samples (derived as weighted mean values of the cent deviation for each key of the organ). It can be used instead of the Original Organ Tuning. Please remember to set the Random Tuning Error (Organ Settings) to some minimal or 0 value.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

zurek

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 5:02 am

Finally, I uploaded the updated version of the Zutphen DEMO sample set. It can be downloaded from the web presentation of the sample set.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

Unda Maris

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am

Very nice DEMO- Set! THX - but: Octave 2, C1, stacc.-Realise-Sample :( What's that?

Return to Hauptwerk instruments