It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

New Hauptwerk Extension Project

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

subbas32

Re: New Hauptwerk Extension Project

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello murph,

FWIW, it may not be possible to do anything with the Dom Bedos set. I believe even compass extensions are forbidden by the papal authority.

I wasn't aware of this, but I do now also see the comment on the Sonus Paradisi website about the wishes of the papal authority regarding "extensions of tonal compass." I will contact Sonus Paradisi to find out what the policies are regarding this sample-set.

Scott and sjkartchner,
Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

Jake

Tremulant

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:
martinus wrote:Hello fellow forum members!

Jake has been doing a number of projects for me and the results are incredible !

It would be interesting to know several projects Jake has done for fellow hauptwerkians. Perhaps some of us could be interested in getting them also.
Luis

Hello Luis,

Jake has done an extension to the Utrecht sampleset which I am very happy with.
He goes into detail (including pictures) of the specific features added.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13170

Thanks again Jake!
Tremulant

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Tremulant wrote:[

Jake has done an extension to the Utrecht sampleset which I am very happy with.
He goes into detail (including pictures) of the specific features added.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13170

Thanks again Jake!
Tremulant

Thanks Tremulant for the tip. in fact, I´m interested only -for now- in extending Utrecht to 61 notes. So I can play better some Wagner´s transcriptions and modern pieces; besides the superoctave coupler will be more useful and effective.

jerrynazard

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Here is another Rotterdam vote. Looking forward to the finished product!

Cavaillé-Cool

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 pm

My vote is Rotterdam dry. I do not own the wet sample set.
Paul

subbas32

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Hello all,

I've contacted Sonus Paradisi and the good news is that a Dom Bedos extension is still a possibility, despite the restrictions on the original sample-set.

Hello Tremulant and Luis,

Thanks for your comments! Extending the compass of Utrecht would be relatively quick to complete. I'm not sure how many people are interested, but I would be happy to do this while we choose an organ for a more elaborate extension.

jerrynazard and Cavaillé-Cool,
Thanks for your votes! Here is an updated summary of the number of votes for each sample-set:

Sonus Paradisi: Rotterdam Wet (8 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Dom Bedos (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Freiberg (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Utrecht (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: St. Omer (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Rotterdam Dry (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: St. Maximin (1 vote)

It looks like we are converging to Rotterdam Wet, but let's give it a few more days.

Best regards,

Jake

James

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 2:55 pm

I have the Dom Bedos extension from Jake, and it has made playing the sampleset a joy! I highly recommend it. (I paid him for it, and have no financial considerations in saying this.)
James

johnstump_organist

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 12:33 pm

I would vote for the Rotterdam Wet, but I would hope to see it expanded only with sounds from within the set itself. It is fairly complete as is and could benefit from just a few tweaks. I would not want to see you try and turn it into something it is not and bring in sounds from other sample sets.
My main wishes would be (in order of preference):
The Chamade division places into its own division. I would be happy to have the split stops turn into single stops. I only see the benefit of split stops when you only have one keyboard.

The chamade Orlos duplicated in the Bovenwerk as an Oboe. The HW modeled trems for it would be fine.

The Swell Celeste extended down to Tenor C. Maybe the two Viola stops extended to make a 4 Celeste II - I would avoid adding Sub and Super couplers to this organ, they just seem so out place to me on such a well balanced / designed instrument.

All three manual 16 flues duplicated into pedal (maybe the Rugwerk Dulciaan 16 as well)

Tabs on the simple jamb page for some of the missing couplers for which I currently use the HW master couplers, i.e. Brustwerk to Rugwerk and Bovenwerk, Bovenwerk to Rugwerk (without it coupling on through to the Hoodfwerk) and of course couplers for the new separate Chamade division to the other divisions and maybe a unison off for at least the Bovenwerk so I could put the Chamade division there, but still couple to the Bovenwerk to another division.

Maybe the Bovenwerk Praestant duplicated into the Rugwerk as an Unda Maris with the Rugwerk Praestant.

Maybe the Terts 3-1/5 set to play at 8' pitch from tenor e up to give a flute celeste.
Of course all of this on a simple Jamb, I would accept some stop name abbreviations if the squares on the simple jamb will have to somewhat smaller to make room for the new stuff.
Just my two cents worth of thought.
John

subbas32

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for your kind comments, James!

Thanks for your ideas, John! All of them would be relatively easy to implement.

Like we did for the 4-manual Caen extension, I anticipate that we will have separate page views for an extension in the style of the organ builder, and another with somewhat more nonstandard features (for example, the stops from other instruments, the split pedal, etc.). The original organ will be kept intact as much as possible. In addition, I will also try to make it possible to enable and disable as many of the extra features as possible. For example, there will be a switch to turn the keyboard/pedal extensions on and off.

I also got another vote for St. Omer:
Sonus Paradisi: Rotterdam Wet (9 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: St. Omer (3 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Dom Bedos (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Freiberg (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Utrecht (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: Rotterdam Dry (2 votes)
Sonus Paradisi: St. Maximin (1 vote)

I also understand that there is some interest in smaller extensions which modify organs to meet AGO standards:
    1. Extend manual compass to 5 octaves
    2. Extend pedal compass to 32-notes
    3. Include enclosures for all divisions besides the Great/Grand Orgue/Hauptwerk/Hoofdwerk etc
    4. Add AGO couplers
    5. Simple Jamb with AGO stop layout
This is something I would be happy to do in parallel as this would be quick to program. Of course, the original organ is also left intact.

Best regards,

Jake

tomaszartur

PostSat Oct 15, 2016 1:07 pm

My vote is Rotterdam!

Tom

Btw, the extended Caen sample set is just incredible! Thank you!!!
I wondered if there is any possibility to have this same feature as the beginning of the video (link below) from St Eustache, Paris? Or maybe Hauptwerk got that already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHSYIOW7UM

subbas32

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 12:25 am

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your vote and comments!

I wondered if there is any possibility to have this same feature as the beginning of the video (link below) from St Eustache, Paris? Or maybe Hauptwerk got that already?

As far as I know this is not available in Hauptwerk, but it is certainly possible to code this up in the ODF. If I understand correctly this is a Sostenuto switch as commonly found on theatre organs. Is it simply a switch which sustains all note that are depressed on a specific keyboard until the switch is turned off? or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,

Jake

Martijn70

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 3:46 am

subbas32 wrote:Hello Tom,

Thanks for your vote and comments!

As far as I know this is not available in Hauptwerk, but it is certainly possible to code this up in the ODF. If I understand correctly this is a Sostenuto switch as commonly found on theatre organs. Is it simply a switch which sustains all note that are depressed on a specific keyboard until the switch is turned off? or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,

Jake

The sostenuto works as follows at St Eustache: a played note or chord is sustained until the sostenuto is switched off or a new note/chord is played which switches the current sustained note/chord off and the new note/chord is sustained.

best regards,
Martijn

mdyde

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 4:23 am

tomaszartur wrote:I wondered if there is any possibility to have this same feature as the beginning of the video (link below) from St Eustache, Paris? Or maybe Hauptwerk got that already?

Hello Tom,

Just to confirm -- Hauptwerk doesn't have sostenuto or sustain functions for all organs, although sample sets can include those types of functionality (as many of the theatre organ sample sets do).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 5:12 am

mdyde wrote:...sample sets can include those types of functionality (as many of the theatre organ sample sets do).

For example: PAB has this feature from the extended edition.
http://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/products/pab/overview
Luc

ostrovitch

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 6:32 am

I vote for Rotterdam Surround
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments