It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

My organ works

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

donFrancesco

My organ works

PostSat Oct 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi everybody, I'm don Francesco, from Italy. I'm happy for the possibility to share my works with this community. I already had a glance at your works! Congratulations!
In 2009 I started building organ consoles, or parts of them, in my free time, using almost completely self-made material (contacts, mechanical devices etc.) or material going to the town dump.

Opus I

In 2009 I midified a pedalboard from a broken organ and used it with two midi keyboards and one touch screen. This was my first experience with Hauptwerk and jOrgan
Opus I complete building report is here

Opus II

In 2010 I started the first complete organ project. It still lacks a painting now.
ImageImage
I used little neodymium magnets to se the initial key opposition at about 120 grams, that in mechanical organs is due to the resistence of the key valve caused by the air pressure in the wind chest.

The stops are typical italian "manetta lombarda", with two pedals for the "Tutti" and the "Free combination". They are mechanical so they actually work as the real ones: the "Tutti" pulls in all the stops, while the "Free combination" pulls in only those stops who have been drawn out.
ImageImage
A video of the functioning of the "Free combination" is available here.
Opus II complete building report is here
The first play of the Opus II is here

Opus III

Now I'm working to a new project:
4 keyboards
32 notes pedalboard
128 LED-lighted stops
128 among thumb and toe pistons
3 expression pedals

I've already recovered 2 keyboards and a 32 notes radial pedalboard from different dead organs.
I hope to update the post in few months...! See you soon

ChangedForever

Re: My organ works

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am

Don,

Just wanted to say that's a VERY interesting setup you have!! Very imaginative!! Good luck with the build; I'm getting close to starting my console project since the weather is finally in the 60's & 70's instead of the 90+'s!!

Keep us posted.... ,
Mark

ldeutsch

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 5:31 pm

don Francesco,

Do you have a video demonstration of the actual "free combination" system? The video you posted is a computer animation. I would love to have a nice video of the actual system to use in talks I give on computer technology. After all, the free combination is essentially a small random access memory (RAM) built of wood. I have shown diagrams of the Cavaille Coll systems in lectures, but a video of a contemporary one would be even more fascinating.

Les Deutsch

donFrancesco

PostSat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for your comments! I'm happy you liked the stop mechanism. If you have tried the Brescia, St. Carlo sampleset, you can notice that the virtual stops works the same way... Is an italian device used for many organs between 1700 and 1800.
ldeutsch, as soon as possible I make a video for you!
Thanks
Fr Francesco

Antoni Scott

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 9:02 am

Hello DonFrancesco:
Nice to see that you are building consoles. I have tried the same thing, except I try to find old electronic organs that have no more use and retrofit them for Hauptwerk rather than start from scratch.

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 am

donFrancesco wrote:I used little neodymium magnets to se the initial key opposition at about 120 grams,

ISee you soon

Ciao don Francesco¡ Very ingenious¡ Could you please include a picture showing how you managed to fix those magnets in the keyboards? ¡Grazie tante¡
Luis

donFrancesco

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Hello DonFrancesco:
Nice to see that you are building consoles. I have tried the same thing, except I try to find old electronic organs that have no more use and retrofit them for Hauptwerk rather than start from scratch.

very good... I don't think we are a lot on this planet doing this kind of work.. we are really rare specimen :lol:

Could you please include a picture showing

As soon as I can I will post a picture..! and the video of the free combination :roll:

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems