It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

New BDO pedalboard.

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

notdefined

New BDO pedalboard.

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Latest part secured for the PAB inspired console that I am attempting to build. The pedalboard was built to spec by Matt Arnold to BDO-32 specifications. It is made from solid white oak and maple thus it is heavy as a cyborg carrying lead bricks. The action is silky smooth with the reed switches connected to Roman Sowa's pedal midi controller. The expression pedals and roller were made by Magnus with electronics added by Roman Sowa. Matt is also making 144 stop tabs in black dyed wood with white engraving to match the legends in the PAB Gravissimo sample set. Building the console to even slightly resemble the original is going to test my woodworking skills to the limit. But, in a hat tip to the original builder, I will be getting the bench from Pecsi because there is no way I could build that and then expect it to support me or whomever else might plop their backside upon the bench.

Silken Path

Re: New BDO pedalboard.

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Very handsome, ND. Is that a curved non-radiating pedal board behind it?

I had a bench made by a barn builder in Georgia for a Hammond console for only $50. Ugly as homemade sin, but when the world ends, it will be cockroaches and this organ bench.

notdefined

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 pm

No, the pedalboard behind is a standard AGO spec concave, radiating pedalboard made by Allen.

Silken Path

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 9:20 am

Thank you. It will be interesting to watch your progress if you stick to this quality of components.

notdefined

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 6:05 pm

One of the reasons this console build is taking so long, besides me being a rank amateur, is that I want it to be as perfect as I can possibly build it. I cannot adequately express how impressed I was when I saw the PAB console in Budapest. The style and grace, coupled with the workmanship of the console, venue and the mighty instrument itself left me near speechless. It was almost a spiritual event. Even though I am unable to replicate the original exactly, nor would it be proper to do so as it is a unique creation, there will be a close enough resemblance that I wish for it to be of the highest quality within my ability to create so to pay homage to the original. That, like creating very good food, takes time. I'm not about to rush it either.

scottherbert

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 12:12 pm

"Heavy as a cyborg carrying lead bricks!" Now that IS a vivid image! :lol:

I agree with you on the striking beauty of that console. I don't know if you've planned it or not, but if I were to build one like it, I would carry the light alder/ black theme on to the keyboards. Having reverse color keyboards echoing the stop tabs seems (to me) like it would make it all the more striking.

Do you have any photos of your console build so far? I am more than interested!

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

notdefined

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Scott: Not yet, it consists of the various parts I have been getting since 2015. The keyboards are going to be interesting. I purchased the remaining stock of Lodouca keyboards from a pipe organ builder in South Carolina. Unfortunately, there is no information about where I might obtain the conversion electronics for them so I will have to build custom midi adapters but in the meantime I'll use CMK-3s. The original console has standard white and black keys, at least the stage console does. I will stick with that arrangement for now, but should I have second thoughts, then maybe a keyboard with rosewood naturals and bone accidentals. I want to build a tall cabinet organ with 2 manuals (in the early stages of it's build) and will indeed use reverse colors on the manuals and a short depth pedalboard.

As far as the PAB goes, I am sure that I will not be able to replicate it exactly. The bent wood sides will be too advanced for my meager skills, but the final rendition will indeed leave no doubt what I was using for an inspiration. If I can even get within a lame toss of the feeling I had when sitting at the stage console of the PAB organ, I'll be satisfied.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems