It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Hauptwerk at St. Barnabas Episcopal

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Hauptwerk at St. Barnabas Episcopal

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 3:57 pm

We delivered a repurposed Rodgers console to St. Barnabas Episcopal in McMinnville, Oregon yesterday. I'm including a rear view of the console showing my encoder install and a top view where we utilized some great decoders from our friends at MIDI Boutique. Also, it seemed like fun to show the lift we used to get the console into the rear balcony.

St. Barnabas is retaining a small Moeller pipe organ so it will be interesting to have the added flexibility as well as the opportunity to compare sounds. We will share information about the first concert in December very soon.

brooke.benfield

Re: Hauptwerk at St. Barnabas Episcopal

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Awesome job, you guys.

I sure hope that the inaugural concert falls on a day that I can attend.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Tweedle_Dee

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi Brooke,

It is a Lessons and Carols service on Sunday morning, Dec 11th. I'm playing a little with the choir, but mostly it will be Dr. Jeannine Jordan performing (thankfully, as I'm a beginner really).

ChangedForever

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 pm

NICE!!

That lift seems might handy, too!!

Mark

jkinkennon

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 pm

We were fortunate to have a retired contractor who planned the lift very carefully. He built a platform up in the balcony that the organ could be slid onto. There is a large frame for the Genie lift and a smaller carpeted frame that was built to slide off the Genie and onto the balcony platform. Without an understanding of the balance and forces at play this could have been difficult, as the lift would potentially be unstable as the organ was pulled off, so don't try this approach without a good understanding of the physics involved.

engrssc

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 3:24 am

Any idea of the "final": weight of the console?

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Ed, I would guess that the weight was 450 lb or so. It felt about the same as a small spinet piano, no more. I suspect that with the original Rodgers electronics it was around 600 lb. The hardest part was getting it up on the lift which was maybe 4 foot high when fully collapsed. At the top of the lift it is essential that steps be taken to insure the lift itself is not pushed around. The bottom frame was held firmly by guys on each end as the secondary frame with the console was pulled off and onto the balcony framework. Three pews were removed and 4x8 sheets of chipboard were used to protect the floor which was tile with carpeted aisles. I didn't see a scratch on the console when we were finished.

engrssc

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Totally respect the combined efforts. Been there, done that (once or twice).

Originally my Rodgers 340 weighed in at almost 800 lbs (789 lbs), Now somewhat more as it still contains all of the original analog "stuff" plus H/W add-ons.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 4:57 pm

I can't stop myself from commenting about collaboration, Ed. It sure is great when all the parties are mostly on the same page and are listening to each other. That has been the case at St. Barnabas as they have been a joy to work with. I'm sure you would agree that there are also times when it would be nice to have a totally blank canvas and turnkey install. The real world is usually somewhere in between which is what makes life interesting.

We have also been very aware of costs and one of the real pleasures with this job is it appears that the results per dollar will be amazing. Things like new SAMs with custom engraving, just as an example, would be great, but that would have to come at a later date if deemed important. We doubled the number of SAMs that were originally on the organ as I have a second Rodgers console which I will cut to desktop height, refinish, and use with touch screens. So that became the donor console.

The 15v power supplies came from the second console as well. The right one in the photo is stock Rodgers modified from -15v to +15v. The left power supply was cut down from a larger Rodgers supply which powered the entire organ. The chopped off end is visible, deliberately, as I was so pleased with the cutting and bending job that my brother-in-law did without the tools one would find in a large shop.

There is a relay controlling power to the +15v supplies which is controlled by the Organ Ready signal from HW. This allows me to insure that the supplies are only on if HW is running, if my encoder is running, if a sample set is loaded, if the console switch is on, etc. That adds a safety factor since this is a DIY console.

engrssc

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 8:26 pm

I also noticed the interesting way you did the expr ped potentiometer actuation and the overall really neat wiring job. Probably not the first one you did.

Common bus manuals? Added thumb pistions? Generals on the left (and pedal divisionals under the choir left (or are they on the toe studs ?) Divionals on the right under each manual? Did you have to make a new strop board or expand the original? I would guess the extra ones on the right under the swell to be other stuff? Will there be a touch screen or is this one headless? Computer and audio separate (rack)? How many audio channels? With a sub (or two)?

Looks to be set and ready for a Skinner? :roll:

Since having a bummer experience, I remove console cover lock or at least keep a spare key.. In this case. "they" had 2 organists, so I gave them 3 keys. Within 2 months, all 3 keys came up missing. Had to call a locksmith. $85 service fee to gain access.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 9:47 pm

The manuals are common bus so there are six boards handling three manuals, pedals, 86 stops, and the pistons. The pistons are for 15 generals on the left and the extra four top right pistons intended for sequencer or any other use. The pedal presets are on toe studs only though of course any other arrangement could be done.

I sanded and refinished the entire console including the stops board which came from the donor console with very minor mods otherwise. Still it required removing all the SAMs and using a custom frame to lift them off the board without rewiring. I replaced the crescendo lamps with LEDs and added LED lighting to the music rack.

No touchscreens are planned and with the sample sets being considered there won't be much relabelling needed for the stops. We already messed up with the key(s) which wouldn't be funny on a Sunday morning. The audio interface is a MOTU 24Ao. PC and interface will be maybe 15 to 20 feet away from console.

Twelve Behringer 2031A's set up as six front stereo pairs initially. Final routing subject to more listening I'm sure. There is 1 Tuba HT sub that will have one or two speakers added for the higher frequencies so that all the pedal division can be routed to the sub. There's a smaller Crown amp at the moment feeding a mono channel to the sub and to a single PA type speaker. The amp has an 80 Hz low pass filter set up for the sub and a matching 80 Hz high pass filter for the PA speaker -- a Wharfedale 12" wedge monitor/horn. The Wharfedale may get replaced by a pair of Behringer 2031A's. Some of the speakers are already mounted in the balcony on either side of the pipe organ chamber -- see the last photo for that.

engrssc

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Very similar setup on an organ I proposed recently. Will start the build after 1/17.

Does the pipe chamber have swell shads? Jim G's home instrument uses real swell shades, Very much improves the swell chamber effect over electronics swell pedals.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Yes, the very real Moeller pipe chamber has shades. The entire instrument is in a single enclosure. Think of the Moeller Artiste, and frankly it does a decent job for the small unit organ that it is. Just not much variety in registrations of course. Many small churches would love to have an organ like this -- we are all a bit spoiled after playing a selection of Hauptwerk sample sets.

I'd like to see a hybrid organ sometime in the future, but for now there are no such plans. I think the Moeller will continue to offer a safe choice for the visiting or fill-in organist who hasn't tried HW before.

I didn't mention earlier, but I will bore all of you by repeating that the encoder boards as well as my encoder/decoders for Allen organs are documented on my web site and there's no charge to build them and put them to use.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 am

Very nice. I really like seeing older consoles being reused for Hauptwerk. I'm not sure what plans you have for the sample sets but the Rodgers stop tab names can be easily changed if you use the thin stop overlays provided by Artisan organs. I converted a 1970 vintage Rodgers three manual console to Hauptwerk and applied the thin stop overlays to change the specification. The overlays fit so well that you really couldn't tell.

Tweedle_Dee

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for the tip. I haven't settled on a "permanent" set yet, but I've been bouncing between Velesovo and Oakland Aeolian-Skinner sets right now. I'm hoping I can try a demo of the new Schantz, but I don't see any demo for it (hint! hint!)

Right now I have sticker labels on the stops which doesn't look great, but no one looks up in the loft anyway.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems