It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

Pedal Divide

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

mmayse

Pedal Divide

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Has anyone used the CODM to create a Pedal Divide? Usually what that does is play the pedal stops on keys 1-12 and the couplers engaged on keys 13-32.

Is this possible? Thanks!

Max

mdyde

Re: Pedal Divide

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 5:24 am

Hello Max,

You would probably need to create some extra 'internal' (non-displayed, not allowing direct MIDI input/output) divisions with the appropriate compasses, coupled to the displayed/playable divisions.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 pm

My reply seems to have been one of the messages that was lost during the forum's recent problems, so I'll repeat it for information. If you just want to use one of the manual divisions on the upper part of the pedalboard, this can be done via Organ Settings > Keyboards.

If for instance you want the bottom octave of the pedalboard to operate pedal stops in the normal way, go to Pedals in the left hand column, then on the Primary Input tab set the MIDI note range to 036 (lowest) to 048 (highest), and MIDI channel to your usual pedal channel. Then go to the Input 2 tab , and set the MIDI note range to 049 (lowest) to 067 (highest), and the MIDI channel to that of the manual whose stops you want to play on the pedals.

If you want to divide the pedals at a different point, just alter 048 on the Primary Input and 049 on Input 2 accordingly.

The Organ Keyboards menu allows a total of 4 inputs, so you could have a up to 3 manuals permanently coupled to part of the pedalboard if you wish.

PCF

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 am

Good day,

I would like to create a pedal divide using CODM. I had a look at an OD where it was implemented, but that only helped partially. My intention is to create a pedal divide coupler where the bottom 14 notes only sound the pedal stops (on Division 1), and the remaining 18 notes sound the division (PO, GT, and / or SW) which is coupled to the pedal.

What I have done so far, is to create two additional:

On Division 8
(a) Pedal coupler (unison) for the lowest 14 notes;
(b) Pedal coupler (unison) for the remaining 18 notes;

On Division 9
(c) Pedal key action (unison) for the lowest 14 notes;
(d) Pedal key action (unison) for the remaining 18 notes.

For (a and c): StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey = 36 and StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys = 14
For (b and d): StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey = 50 and StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys = 18

As well as for each (a) to (d):

Stop.AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput = N
Coupler.DefaultToEngaged = N
Coupler.SwitchIsLatching = Y
Coupler.StoreInDivisionalCombinations = N
Coupler.StoreInGeneralCombinations = N
Coupler.AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput = N
Coupler.CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState = 1016 [i.e. Manual 3 (PO) to Pedal 8ft]

At this point, I am uncertain what to do now, specifically:
(e) How do I link the standard pedal couplers to the custom couplers?
(f) Should I duplicate (a) to (d) above for each additional standard pedal coupler (i.e. GT and SW to Pedal)?
(g) How do I create one "stop" (displayed) that will activate couplers (a) to (d) above, for each PO, GT and SW to Pedal?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best,
Pharny

mdyde

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 3:49 am

Hello Pharny,

Is my understanding correct that what you're aiming to achieve is the following?:

- A single display switch named 'Pedal Divide' (or similar), which behaves as follows:

- When that switch is *off* and you play a key on the pedalboard:
- - Any stops drawn on the Pedal division sound (across the full compass of the pedalboard).
- - Any couplers drawn on the Pedal division (Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, etc.) play (across the full compass of the pedalboard).

- When that switch is *on* and you play keys on the pedalboard:
- - Any stops drawn on the Pedal division sound, but only if the played key is one of the bottom 14 notes of the pedalboard's compass.
- - Any couplers drawn on the Pedal division (Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, etc.) play, but only if the played key is one of the top 18 notes of the pedalboard's compass.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 4:12 am

Perhaps worth adding that with some of these implementations (e.g. Kings Cambridge & Gloucester Cathedral) the "split point" is adjustable.

The purpose of the feature is to enable the organist to play a solo voice and an accompaniment on the pedal board.

Iain

PCF

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 5:12 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Phamy,

Is my understanding correct that what you're aiming to achieve is the following?:

- A single display switch named 'Pedal Divide' (or similar), which behaves as follows:

- When that switch is *off* and you play a key on the pedalboard:
- - Any stops drawn on the Pedal division sound (across the full compass of the pedalboard).
- - Any couplers drawn on the Pedal division (Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, etc.) play (across the full compass of the pedalboard).

- When that switch is *on* and you play keys on the pedalboard:
- - Any stops drawn on the Pedal division sound, but only if the played key is one of the bottom 14 notes of the pedalboard's compass.
- - Any couplers drawn on the Pedal division (Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, etc.) play, but only if the played key is one of the top 18 notes of the pedalboard's compass.

Hello Martin, yes, your understanding is correct.

PCF

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 am

IainStinson wrote:Perhaps worth adding that with some of these implementations (e.g. Kings Cambridge & Gloucester Cathedral) the "split point" is adjustable.

The purpose of the feature is to enable the organist to play a solo voice and an accompaniment on the pedal board.

Iain

That would be a great feature, but I can see more couplers coming! :D

I know that the Schoenstein & Co. organ in the LDS Conference Center in Utah has three such couplers, with three different splitting points, i.e. 12/13, 17/18, and 20/21.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 6:49 am

PCF wrote:Hello Martin, yes, your understanding is correct.

Thanks, Pharny.

Really the CODM isn't currently designed to handle that (it's designed to be fairly easy/quick to learn and use and sufficient for common/conventional organ features), but, I think you could probably do what you want as follows (the only exception being that you would need the switch that controls the dividing to operate inverted, e.g. being named 'Pedal Divide Off'):

- Division 1 would be the full-compass pedalboard, as normal, but none of the Pedal division's stops or couplers would be attached to it.

- Division 8 would be for the stops for the lower portion of the Pedal division (as defined by Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey and Division.NumberOfKeys). The Stop objects would be displayed and MIDI-accessible as normal.

- Division 9 would be for stops for the upper portion of the Pedal division (as defined by Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey and Division.NumberOfKeys). The Stop objects would be non-displayed and non MIDI-accessible, and they would copy their states from their equivalents from division 8.

- Division 10 would be for the couplers for the lower portion of the Pedal division (as defined by Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey and Division.NumberOfKeys). The Coupler objects would be displayed and MIDI-accessible as normal.

- Division 11 would be for couplers for the upper portion of the Pedal division (as defined by Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey and Division.NumberOfKeys). The Coupler objects would be non-displayed and non MIDI-accessible, and they would copy their states from their equivalents from division 10.

- Create a non-displayed, non MIDI-accessible coupler with source=division 1, destination=division 8, full compass, that defaults to engaged (i.e. is always on).

- Create a non-displayed, non MIDI-accessible coupler with source=division 1, destination=division 11, full compass, that defaults to engaged (i.e. is always on).

- Create a displayed, MIDI-accessible coupler with source=division 1, destination=division 9, full compass, named (e.g.) 'Pedal Divide Off'.

- Create a non-displayed, non MIDI-accessible coupler with source=division 1, destination=division 10, full compass, that copies its state from the displayed 'Pedal Divide Off' coupler.

I hope that helps. (I'll have to leave you to your own devices if you do want to try it, I'm afraid.)
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:12 am

The encoders, both keyboard and pedal board from MIDI Hardware all provide adjustable split point(s).

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/midihardware

Rgds,
Ed

PCF

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 am

mdyde wrote:
I hope that helps. (I'll have to leave you to your own devices if you do want to try it, I'm afraid.)

Thank you Martin, a very interesting solution! I think it will work.

Best,
Pharny

mdyde

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks, Pharny.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)