It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

Add virtual RAM?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

seh52

Add virtual RAM?

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 pm

My Windows 10 i7 has max of 24 GB RAM. Would it help to add virtual memory via settings for hard drive virtual memory, or adding USB stick flash memory with ReadyBoost? Or would that make some problem for HW?

organtechnology

Re: Add virtual RAM?

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi Stan,

Virtual RAM is too slow for Hauptwerk. The basis for the Hauptwerk Sample Sets is to have all of the pipe .WAV files in RAM and only in RAM. Solid State drives, memory sticks (CMOS) are still too slow for Hauptwerk and even after they are fast enough the buss speed of the R/W is still going to be an issue (too slow).

My recommendation would be either a new computer or new mother board and CPU with at least 8 RAM slots and an 8 core processor and all the drives would be SSDs. That should be pretty easy to do for a computer shop.

Best regards,

Thomas

edit: It might be possible to put 8GB or 16GB simms in your present motherboard which could increase your RAM.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

seh52

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks, Thomas!
The tech says my bios limit to 24 GB RAM, even though there are 6 slots that can take 8 GB each. Can HP bios be updated to handle more RAM?
Stan

mdyde

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 am

Hello Stan,

seh52 wrote:Can HP bios be updated to handle more RAM?

You would probably need to check that with HP. E.g. look on their website to see whether any BIOS updates are available for your specific motherboard model, and, if so, what new functionality the BIOS updates provides.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs