It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Does Hauptwerk "recognize" Johannes expression pedals?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Does Hauptwerk "recognize" Johannes expression pedals?

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm only mildly familiar with Johannes organs, the one in question is a smaller 2M that a friend has converted or better said, taken the built-in Johannes MIDI output and connected that port to a MIDI interface. Manuals and pedal board work fine. I think I've read that H/W doesn't react to Johannes stops or couplers, correct? How about the expr peds?

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

Re: Does Hauptwerk "recognize" Johannes expression pedals?

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I think it's dependent on the model. Mine had full support for keyboards, stops, and expression pedals back in the day, but it was a newish model back then; 2002 I think.

mdyde

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 am

Hello Ed,

Hauptwerk does have specific native support for the MIDI implementation Johnannus MIDI-capable models of which we're aware use for their stops, expression pedals, and most of their pistons. I wouldn't expect that there would be compatibility issues with models made in at least the last 20 years (but I can't absolutely guarantee it).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks, good to hear.

I will be able to check on this in a week or 2 when my doc says I can travel again.

Rgds,
Ed

Organorak

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Prior to building my own organ I played a Johannus 1405 which is a second (?) generation digital three manual instrument built in 1993 with MIDI out. I once used it to control Hauptwerk and found that the manuals and pedals were recognised but not the expression pedals.

Romanos

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 am

I have a Johannus Sweelinck 30 of about 2009 vintage I believe. It supports all three swell shoes and my crescendo pedal. Pistons and toe studs do not work however (the console has them wired internally, they do not send a midi signal out of the console).

organplayer

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 3:41 am

I have a Johannus 1210 (same as 1410 but only two manuals. The expression pedals don't send midi-signals. The reason seams to be (as I checked the wiring inside the organ) that the pedals a wired directly to the amplifier modules. They are just potentiometers for loudness. Now chance for midi.

wailukujohn

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 pm

I have two Johannesburg 3m organs, a 7 y/o Sweelinck and a 2 y/o Vivaldi. HW recognizes expression pedals on both but not the crescendo pedals.

AlbanyMusician

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 am

I have a new Johannes Opus 350 3-manual. My Hauptwerk recognizes CC 11 coming from my Johannes for expression pedals. They transmit on the same channel as the manuals they control; i.e, Gt goes out on CH 2, Sw out on CH 3.

AlbanyMusician

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

Touching on what Martin said earlier about Hauptwerk accepting keys, expression pedals, pistons, and stops from Johannes, I have two questions regarding mostly pistons.

1. Midi stop
My new Johannes Opus 350 has One midi stop for each manual. When a program code is stored in memory for that stop, it transmits to other midi instruments to turn on that particular sound in that instrument. With Hauptwerk, receiving stop commands is done via NRPN codes. Receiving piston commands is done via program codes. Thus if I press a Midi stop on my Johannes, I can touch a piston on Hauptwerk that has the same program code.
The midi stop tab on the Johannes is an on-off button. With some of my other sound devices, it can actually turn that program sound on or off. But with Hauptwerk and accessing pistons that does not work. The only way to turn off a piston is to do a cancel command. That is ok, and I understand that principle. My Johannes cancel button provides a general cancel to Hauptwerk as well.
So the real question is there a way for a program code coming from Johannes to control a stop rather than a piston? If that were the case, then the stop could be turned on and off.

Question 2: My Johannes transmit sysex codes when a piston is pressed. In cakewalk I can record and view that code received, and it is consistent with what Johannes says the numbering should be. However, I cannot transmit that same sysex code back to the Johannes. Johannes documentation says that sysex codes can be both transmitted AND received; yet I can only transmit, not receive. How do I get my Johannes to receive and comply with incoming sysex commands?

mdyde

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

Hello AlbanyMusician,

AlbanyMusician wrote:1. Midi stop
My new Johannes Opus 350 has One midi stop for each manual. When a program code is stored in memory for that stop, it transmits to other midi instruments to turn on that particular sound in that instrument. With Hauptwerk, receiving stop commands is done via NRPN codes. Receiving piston commands is done via program codes. Thus if I press a Midi stop on my Johannes, I can touch a piston on Hauptwerk that has the same program code.
The midi stop tab on the Johannes is an on-off button. With some of my other sound devices, it can actually turn that program sound on or off. But with Hauptwerk and accessing pistons that does not work. The only way to turn off a piston is to do a cancel command. That is ok, and I understand that principle. My Johannes cancel button provides a general cancel to Hauptwerk as well.
So the real question is there a way for a program code coming from Johannes to control a stop rather than a piston? If that were the case, then the stop could be turned on and off.

Hauptwerk has full native support (including auto-detection) for the MIDI program change MIDI implementation that Johannus organs use for their stops, and also for the sys-ex implementation they use for their main pistons. Hauptwerk certainly doesn't require NRPNs for stops, or require MIDI program changes for pistons.

You need to:

- First make sure that you've read the 'Playing Hauptwerk live from a digital organ' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 179-180 in the current v4.2.1 version) that covers how to connect things and also some very important points, especially that you can interface either the MIDI stops or pistons, but not both (which would inevitably result in the Johannus' combination system 'fighting with' Hauptwerk's combination system over the states of the stops).

- Make sure that the MIDI ports connecting to/from your Johannus are ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN/OUT') columns on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab (*not* the 'Sequencer MIDI IN/OUT' columns, which use a special fixed MIDI NRPN implementation), and likewise on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab.

- (If you're using Sonar at the same time as Hauptwerk then make sure that Sonar doesn't also have the MIDI ports enabled, since a MIDI port can safely be open in at most one application at a time, and sequencers such as Sonar don't natively have the functionality to integrate fully with Johannus implementations, as Hauptwerk itself can.)

- Make sure that Johannus is selected as the 'MIDI hardware/console type' on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | General preferences' screen.

- Then auto-detect the stops and pistons.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing