It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

Headphones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: Headphones

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Not to high jack this post but tossing in the speaker question does kinda make it take a U-turn. For $1500 bucks assuming all else is in place (computer, sound card, etc.) I could come up with a very decent sounding system for that or less. A couple of decent 2 channel receivers can be had for $200 or less, I'd concentrate on the front speakers and you can get a very decent sounding pair of towers for $500 or less, the rear speakers don't need to be anything special, but if you wanted to splurge you could toss a couple hundred bucks at a pair if it bothers you to spend less. Then you shop around for a decent sub where again there's plenty that will do the job for $300 or less. Yep, you're not going to get down to the very lowest notes accurately but how many do? I scored a 15" Cerwin Vega sub for $125 at a pawn shop that does quite nicely. In any case it would sound very good and keep in mind here we're talking home use, we're not leading a congregation at church. :wink:

Marc

engrssc

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 5:40 am

Definitely pays to shop around whether for headphones, speakers, or anythings else "connected" here. Likewise, it's best not to make an impulse purchase. Personally I have a couple of "lists" such as really need vs really want. Then too, is a cost vs value. Asking around here is a good strategy because most likely, with the numbers of Forum members, there is quite an amount of experience in just about every phase of this "craft" :wink: I find sometimes it's best to wait a while for answers because not everyone checks on and responds "promptly". to questions posted here

Having said (all) of that, then there comes along a deal that we can't refuse :shock: and that throws any of the above advice out the door. :o

Rgds,
Ed

4AmericanClassics

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Everyone. I decided to get headphones for now because that gives me a portable system with the laptop that doesn't disturb the wife and babies. I can use the bass coupler or melody coupler to bring in the pedal division for now. This thread has helped me realize that a person can get very good headphones for the cost of just a starter speaker system. I did considerable searching on this forum and it appears there is many opinions on speakers, interfaces, and audio routing. When I get more money I can spend on my system, I will request to listen to the systems of fellow Hauptwerkers. Thanks everyone for sharing you experiences.

engrssc

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:24 am

It appears that you see that this virtual organ thing kinda is a work in progress sort of thing which makes for an
interesting project. Good luck and feel free to ask and there will be answers here. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Which headphones did you choose, and how do you like them so far? Thanks.

4AmericanClassics

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 pm

I am getting the AKG k712 but they haven't arrived. I am using my wife's Beats Studio in the interim. They sound harsh with Hauptwerk although they sound good with almost anything else. I also tried the Audio Technica ATH M50 which are not as enjoyable as Beats Studio. Both headphones give the impression that the organ is inside my head rather than being out in the room. I suspect that is a problem with any headset. The advantage I see with the headphones is being able to hear the full range of sound from 20hz to 20khz, the are portable, and I can practice when the babies sleep.

engrssc

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 am

Think you will find the K 712's to be comfortable both sound wise and physically. They adjust to one's head easily with an adjustable band and are relatively light weight. They come with 2 detachable cords (esp the 9" orange cord). I have a pair of A-Audio's also which compete with Beats Sound wise are good, but I found them heavy and tend to squeeze my head making them uncomfortable after a while. These seem to rate high with gamers as do Beats.

While the K-712 don't give the "in the gut" punch effect of a high powered sub, you can definitely hear the lows, esp pedal tones. Then, too, it depends on the sound source. Normal (if there is such a thing) audio from my H/W setup sounds very realistic (again whatever that is) while some recordings sound less so. All depends on who recorded the music and what they used. Myself, I don't prefer exagerated high or low end music, but more toward "realistic/natural" as you would hear in a live performance. Just mine and my ear"s "humble" opinion.

BTW, my favorite live recording mics are my AKG 414's. I find with real pipoes, using heavy pedals, 32' etc, can get boring if used too much when there are so many lighter, beautiful registrations available on many sample sets. I know some organist's prefer lots of full organ but there again, that's why we have choices. :)

(I still think using a 64' stop that very a few organs have (like the Wanamaker), makes it sound like a helicopter coming in for a landing.. :roll: )

Rgds,
Ed

jwillans

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 pm

I've also ordered a pair of K712's. What headphone amplifier is a good match for these? Note that I don't need a DAC since I will use an output channel from my 1010lt sound card as input to the amplifier.

engrssc

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:24 pm

One suggestion on the high end is the Music-Hall-HA11.1 Headphone Amplifier,

More modest, but still excellent is the Creek Audio OBH-11 Headphone Amp

Both of these will do justice to the K-712 without being extreme in either direction. One consideration, avoid using a cheapie, unregulated wall wart for a power source with any headphone amp. .

If you plan to use the headset with other audiophile type applications, you may want to consider a tube type headphone amp. There's a certain (hard to describe) "warmth" IMO about the sound of a tube amplifier.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm

A slight consideration in choosing a headphone amp is the quality of the signal prior to the h/p amp. Not worth spending too much depending on the source quality Obviously if there are problems, a high end headphone amp will just reproduce the problem better. I find it interesting, even many high end amps use those RCA connectors. :?

Rgds,
Ed

jwillans

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:47 am

engrssc wrote:One suggestion on the high end is the Music-Hall-HA11.1 Headphone Amplifier,

More modest, but still excellent is the Creek Audio OBH-11 Headphone Amp

Both of these will do justice to the K-712 without being extreme in either direction. One consideration, avoid using a cheapie, unregulated wall wart for a power source with any headphone amp. .

Thanks Ed. In the end after lots of analysis I ordered the following headphone amp:

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2PJQ0O/?tag=sgh-20

Which can be had for about $50 / £50 from other sources (e.g ebay). The reviews are excellent reporting an uncoloured sound with next to no background noise. I'll let you know how I get on. A close competitor was the Objective2 amplifier, but these are difficult to source in the UK:

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier

The design for which has an interesting background:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/nwavguy-the-audio-genius-who-vanished
http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html

engrssc

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 pm

The SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 seems to be getting mixed reviews, albeit more positive than negative. Esp in the area of quality control. In that regard, the odds are in your favor. More like it vs those that don't. Hope your"s works well for you. Let us know.

Rgds,
Ed

Trenchardb

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm

I use the professional 600ohm version of the Beyerdynamic DT880's (pretty much the industry standard mastering headphones). They are semi open back, transient response and frequency range is great, and they are extremely transparent. The best part is they are still comfortable after wearing them for many hours. I would highly recommend them!

engrssc

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Anyone wanting to check out their headphones, give a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5t-nuPolzY&feature=youtu.be

This is far beyond “a good recording.” It is professional-level, using multi-thousand dollar microphones, and preamps that are the best in the world, with none other than Joe Vitacco himself (JAV Recordings Inc) at the controls of the recording equipment.
-
This is the best recording we've heard, anywhere, from anyone, of the Midmer-Losh at Boardwalk Hall.. There is no distortion, there is no microphone overload. There are some truly undistorted samples of the 64' at the end. Starting beyond the end of the music at 01;55. (No, it's not a helicopter). They really (truly) are an exercise routine for your audio system. If you want to play this via your audio system, be careful of your sub woofers. Really. No kidding. :shock: Does some "dusting" off.

BTW, my K712's did quite well for themselves . 8) Better than did the speakers.

Rgds,
Ed

jwillans

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 pm

engrssc wrote:The SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 seems to be getting mixed reviews, albeit more positive than negative. Esp in the area of quality control. In that regard, the odds are in your favor. More like it vs those that don't. Hope your"s works well for you. Let us know.

To close the loop on this - the SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 is outstanding. I cannot imagine a headphone amplifier with a better quality sound - and it works well with the K712 which are notoriously power hungry (as I believe are the K702). Additionally it has a premium build quality with a brushed aluminium finish and a real weight to it. Highly highly recommended for only £50 / $50,
PreviousNext

Return to Amplification