It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

Multiple MIDI Channel Outputs?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Joe Luca

Multiple MIDI Channel Outputs?

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 pm

I've recently configured Hauptwerk with Sonar via the VST link as per the instruction guide for MIDI recording.

Is there a way to record separate tracks concurrently and assign each manual, the pedals, etc. to have their own independent track? This would be extremely helpful for not only being able to localize and repair performance mistakes, but also for mixing afterwards.

The way it exists now, everything is on a single MIDI track. From a sequencing and post production point of view, it is very limiting. Thanks!

Best,
Joe

mdyde

Re: Multiple MIDI Channel Outputs?

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 am

Hello Joe,

Here's the relevant excerpt from the Hauptwerk user guide (pages 182-183 in the current v4.2.1 version):

You must only have one instance of the Hauptwerk plug-in loaded within your sequencer’s project, not separate Hauptwerk plug-in instances on separate tracks. Consult your sequencer’s documentation for how to achieve that. For example, in Cubase, you must load the Hauptwerk plug-in within Cubase’s instrument rack, and then set tracks to output to it via the instrument rack, rather than loading the plug-in directly within each track. In Logic Pro X you would insert the first track as a software instrument, then highlight the track and use ‘Track | Other | New track with next/same MIDI channel’ to create any desired additional tracks that use the same plug-in instance as the first track.

I don't have Sonar currently, but I would be extremely surprised if it didn't provide a similar means to route multiple sequencer tracks to a single plug-in instance, similar to Cubase and Logic.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Joe Luca

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Martin,

Thank you for replying. The answer however does not lie in Sonar, it lies within Hauptwerk.

When you link HW and Sonar via the VST Link, it does not appear that you can separate the manuals, pedals. pistons, etc into discrete MIIDI channel outputs. Sonar can certainly receive separate ones, but there does not seem to be that option from Hauptwerk....at least from the instruction guide I followed.

For my setup now, HW is configured to receive as MIDI inputs from the console: Channel 1 for the pedals, Channel 2 for the Choir, Channel 3 for the Great and Channel 4 for the Swell. Can the MIDI output for the VST Link in HW be configured for the same en route to an external sequencer like Sonar?

Best,
Joe

mdyde

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Joe,

What specifically is your aim in using a sequencer (e.g. Sonar) with Hauptwerk? Is your intention:

1) Just to use it as a substitute for Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder, i.e. just for recording and playing back performances that you played 'live' within Hauptwerk (perhaps tweaking the takes in the sequencer)? Or:

2) To use it for any other, or additional, purpose, such as composing, or use simultaneously with other virtual instruments?

For almost all sequencer users 2) applies, and for that the way you need to set it up is the way covered in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 189-194 of the current v4.2.1 version), with MIDI from an external MIDI sequencer playing the virtual Hauptwerk divisions using MIDI channels of your choice. Hence please try setting it up as described there (especially with the HauptwerkVSTLink ticked in the *left-hand* 'Console MIDI IN' column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, and with nothing at all ticked on the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab, and nothing at all ticked in the 'Sequencer MIDI IN' column).

Since you aren't then simply recording Hauptwerk's MIDI output you can then just create as many tracks as you like, each on whatever MIDI channels you prefer, routing them all to the (single instance of the) Hauptwerk VST Link plug-in.

[However, even for case 1) most sequencers have options to split incoming MIDI across multiple tracks based on the MIDI channels, such as Logic's 'File | Project Settings | Recording: Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording' option.]
Best regards, Martin.

Joe Luca

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks again for replying....
In answer to your question: the option I'm working with is #1....I'm looking to capture a performance in MIDI, tweak it, then convert it back to audio and do a post production mix outside of the realm of HW (hence, using Sonar).

You are correct that most sequencers (Sonar included) allow the splitting of MIDI information across multiple channels. I think however my question is getting lost in over analysis...So rather than talk in hypotheticals, what I want to do is send MIDI output to Sonar from the HW VST link as follows:
--Pedals on CH1
--Choir on CH2
--Great on CH3
--Swell on CH4
--expressions and pistons on CH5
Can it be done? Obviously, it's a completely different instrument, but the virtual Hammond organs like VB3 and Native Instruments Vintage Organs all work like this and it's extremely easy and flexible to work with.

If HW cannot do this, it's still (kinda) OK, but you don't have independent control of each manual, and therefore, do not have independent control of volume levels between manuals and pedals in post production. That becomes important when you are adding things like reverb and eq after the fact. I'd prefer to record on a dry organ and play with the sound of the mix afterward.

Again, thanks for your input and advice....

Best,
Joe

mdyde

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:35 am

Hello Joe,

Yes -- if you wish you can easily set it up that way, and with those specific MIDI channel assignments (or any others).

In that case, set it up is the way covered in the 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' sub-section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 189-194 of the current v4.2.1 version), with the 'HauptwerkVSTLink' ticked in the *left-hand* 'Console MIDI IN' column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, and with nothing else ticked at all in either column, and also with nothing ticked at all on the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab. Have your hardware MIDI IN ports enabled in your sequencer (Sonar), not in Hauptwerk, as is conventional in sequencer/DAW environments. Then in Hauptwerk, right-click on keyboards, etc., and use 'Adjust MIDI ... settings manually' to set them to use your desired MIDI channels/implementation (or use auto-detection if appropriate).
Best regards, Martin.

Joe Luca

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks, Martin....
I will experiment with that tonight and report back. I appreciate your input and patience :) !!

Best,
Joe

mdyde

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks, Joe.

Hope that helps to get it working in the way that you want it.
Best regards, Martin.

Joe Luca

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Works perfectly, Martin!
Thanks for your guidance on this.

Best,
Joe

mdyde

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks, Joe.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing