It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 pm

70 speaker Hauptwerk organ

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

pedro

70 speaker Hauptwerk organ

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi All
If a person were to think about building a Hauptwerk setup with a lot of speakers,where could you start looking for info regarding speakers and amplifiers, for best prices ect.?
The system would use 2 speakers for one organ rank.
The Motu 24 I|O would be good audio interfaces to use.
Any info is appreciated.
Greetings
Pedro

mdyde

Re: 70 speaker Hauptwerk organ

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 1:07 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

scottherbert

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi Pedro, I remember Leo Christopher (chris-037) had an arrangement like that. Perhaps searching the archives might yeild something about his setup? I remember that he loved it.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

magnaton

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Whoa, being the sound geek I am, I love this topic!

As you probably know there are 2 main avenues here:
- Multi-channel amps servicing passive speakers
- Active studio monitors

The latter is great for us hobbyist as we can simply plug in a new monitor pair when funds, space, or permission is allowed :)

If this is for a planned project where 70 channels are needed on day 1, then this will require some research and comparison. It might help if we knew the details of the installation. Regardless here are a few tidbits:

Search the forum for studio monitor recommendations. If you are planning a bulk order, you are bound to get a good volume discount from some dealer regardless of the brand.

Multi-Channel amplifiers can be expensive and they are not that plentiful. Here is a 12 channel amp at a great price.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1260-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier-60wpc--300-8150?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Here are 2 forum threads that feature successful large multi-channel HW setups:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13670&p=101126

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10333&p

Danny B.

pedro

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks a lot!
I would buy one of the Dayton amps ,and try out 12 speakers for now.
Might be a good amp even at the price.It weighs 40 pounds ,which is a good sign.
Does anybody have any threeway bookshelf speakers in mind that will do a good job for one organ rank?
I will be using a good sub to,which i already have
Pedro

magnaton

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm

A speaker discussion a while back mentioned these:
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488406009&sr=8-3&keywords=Polk+Audio+TSi100

If you have a powered Sub, you won't need a 3 way speaker. Most multi-channel installs, even the commercial organs (Allen, Walker, Rodgers) make use of mainly 2 way speakers (plus Subs for 16' & 32' ranks) . The vast majority of studio monitors are 2 way.

Danny B.

organtechnology

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 am

pedro wrote:Hi All
If a person were to think about building a Hauptwerk setup with a lot of speakers,where could you start looking for info regarding speakers and amplifiers, for best prices ect.?
The system would use 2 speakers for one organ rank.
The Motu 24 I|O would be good audio interfaces to use.
Any info is appreciated.
Greetings
Pedro

Hey Pedro,

Since there are 12 semitones in an octave I believe 24 channels/amps/speakers would contain enough outputs for the Hauptwerk algorithm to use one stereo pair for each semitone and harmonics thereof. Now whether it would work that way is another question.

Since I am currently researching the application of Dante AoIP to Hauptwerk organs, it occurs to me that a 32 channel Atterotech Break-out-box would be a good fit for this project. One cat 5 cable to the unD32 BoB and 24 short audio cables in the chamber for the 24 speakers and 2 for the subwoofer is all that is needed. Dante software Sound Card is ASIO or Core Audio compatible and the Dante Controller patch panel runs on the same computer or an external one.

Of course you could use the MOTU AVB system with an MOTU 8A + 24Ao to get about the same result. The MOTU 8A needs to be USB fed and the AVB Cat5e goes from the MOTU 8A to the MOTU 24Ao which can be pretty remote.

The 24 powered speakers can be had for ~$150.00 each while the Servo Subwoofers from Austin are about $1000.00 each. total about $4,600

The MOTU 8A is $795.00 and the 24Ao is $995.00.

The Dante system is about $2250 for the unD32 BoB and less than $100 for the Software Sound Card and Dante Controller.

So either system is around $7,000 total.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Amplification