It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Can a PC (laptop) be used to control a Mac (Mini)?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Can a PC (laptop) be used to control a Mac (Mini)?

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:34 pm

I was asked this question, since I've never done (or had to do) this, thought I'd asked the computer experts here. The laptop has a touch screen and the Mac Mini is buried in a basically headless setup. It's a chore to set up a screen, keyboard/mouse to make changes (to the Mac Mini) is why I believe the question came up.

Is an added program needed? Communication via USB or? Appreciate and thanks in advance,

Rgds,
Ed

johnh

Re: Can a PC (laptop) be used to control a Mac (Mini)?

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:44 pm

VNC?

engrssc

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks, John, I saw that as a possibility, just have not done it. Are the two connected via USB?

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Sometime ago I used VNC for this, This video might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13vIi37TkCg, VNC viewers (which you would use on the PC or tablet controlling the MAC) are free. The connection is via the LAN (Wi-Fi or wired) Others may have more recent experience...

Iain

dcaton

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Teamviewer is another option. I use it at work for controlling Mac build machines. It's free for personal use.

engrssc

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm

You guys are fantastic ! And fast on the replies. :)

As I alluded to above, can this remote desktop control be done via a wired connection (USB maybe?) between the 2 computers vs using a network? Security concern plus what if there is no network available?

Wonder how often this technique has been used with/for Hauptwerk? 8)

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 pm

You can use an Ethernet crossover cable to connect the two machines (this replaces the network) or connect them both to an Ethernet switch (which is not connected to anything else).

I don't believe that USB to USB connections would support general access; typically USB to USB computer connections use special USB cables (to avoid power conflicts?) and use bespoke file transfer software. Connection via the LAN does not need special software.

Iain

engrssc

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 pm

The crossover cable worked just fine. Thanks for the tip, Iain.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 6:29 am

Has anyone used TightVNC. https://www.tightvnc.com/. ? If so, any issues?

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Presently using a PC for HW. We can connect a laptop via ethernet (network Cat 6 crossover cable) and use RDC (Remote Desktop Connection), There still is an issue. Being headless there is no way to see and click on the "remote" icon which refers to the laptop and appears on the PC page prior to startup. This when the PC has shutdown and has been re-started automatically for instance after power is restored. This isn't a normal situation as we leave the PC powered on 24/7.

The PC is powered thru a UPS which has worked well. However, recently the power utility had to shut down the mains for an extended amount of time, at least beyond the ability of the UPS to keep the HW computer powered up. Since we had to be able to click on the (remote) icon prior to startup/login, we had to connect a monitor and mouse.

Searching for a possible solution, we came upon this article which in essence tries to start/run an application exe (in this our case this would be Hauptwerk) prior to startup/login. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I always was of the opinion that HW required the OS to be up and running in order to start.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12491364/how-to-run-application-exe-before-windows-startup

Basically I see some possibilities esp after reading the input from the person posting the last reply. 8)

Thoughts?

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs