It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 pm

Possibility of Saint-Sulpice sample set?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

kkbzn

Possibility of Saint-Sulpice sample set?

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi all.

I would like to ask you if a you know if anyone is ever going to make Hauptwerk sample of Saint-Sulpice organ in Paris?

telemanr

Re: New

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm

One would think not. For a number of reasons. Ambient noise during recording, permission problems, huge size, and reverb time would mean simply huge RAM requirements. It just doesn't seem practical.
Rob Enns

dcitron

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Also, Daniel Roth has famously said that there is only one St. Sulpice (meaning he will not allow it to be replicated via sampling).

One might suggest that the uniqueness of St. Suplice would be an argument in favor of allowing sampling (as a sort of virtual backup), but ...

scottherbert

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Didn't someone on here create a composite replica of St Sulpice?

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

dcitron

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:41 pm

I thought so too, once you mentioned it, but "all" I found was this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14379

mdyde

Re: Possibility of Saint-Sulpice sample set?

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 am

[Topic title edited, to make it relevant to topic's subject.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Arp

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 5:17 am

Also, Daniel Roth has famously said that there is only one St. Sulpice (meaning he will not allow it to be replicated via sampling).

By the same reasoning we could not distribute reproductions of Leonardo's Mona Lisa, because the original is unique. That is musical fundamentalism

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 5:46 am

Hello KK:
I´ve seen in your posts that you are new -and welcome¡- to this dreamland of HW...Hinsz.... St. Sulpice... In my first encounter I even imagined that sampling an organ was as easy as taking a picture to the facade and record one instant each pipe... and that was all¡ Now I understand the complexity of this task and wonder how we have so many organs at our disposal, several Cavaille-Colls included.

Now I wish I would had had in that time an introductory book like Spencer´s:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14329,

Also, please me tell you about another page full of interesting pictures and guidelines to make your project a reality:
http://www.pcorgan.com/index.html
Luis

scottherbert

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 am

dcitron wrote:I thought so too, once you mentioned it, but "all" I found was this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14379

Indeed, that is the very one! :D I thought St. Sulpice was in there, but instead it was Rouen, whoops. :oops:

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

mkc1

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:31 pm

dcitron wrote:Also, Daniel Roth has famously said that there is only one St. Sulpice (meaning he will not allow it to be replicated via sampling).

With all due respect to Monsieur Roth, I wouldn't think it would be his decision to "allow" it or not....

ReinerS

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:16 pm

mkc1 wrote:
dcitron wrote:Also, Daniel Roth has famously said that there is only one St. Sulpice (meaning he will not allow it to be replicated via sampling).

With all due respect to Monsieur Roth, I wouldn't think it would be his decision to "allow" it or not....

While the final decision certainly lies with the parish as the owner of the church and instrument, I very much doubt they would decide against his wishes or his vote in this matter!

mkc1

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 pm

ReinerS wrote:While the final decision certainly lies with the parish as the owner of the church and instrument...

My understanding is that the church and likely the instrument within it are owned by the civic authorities.

http://www.paris-with-a-parisian.com/2012/09/the-problem-with-french-churches/

You may well be correct about their reluctance to go against the wishes of M. Roth though.

dcitron

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

I have heard from others who have tried, that any kind of note-by-note recording of St. Sulpice was forbidden (even setting up an audio recorder and "experimenting" with the organ). When I asked why, the second-hand quote that I got was that M. Roth had said "there is only one St. Sulpice" and that he was specifically against a virtual copy.

I've searched around through various correspondences and can't find it in writing, so it must have been either a face-to-face conversation that I had either when I toured the organ loft there, or a separate conversation I had with an organist who had been there.

I know, I know: citation needed :?

Return to Hauptwerk instruments