It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

Rodgers 4-manual Phase I complete

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Rodgers 4-manual Phase I complete

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 am

Interesting that a USB hub would reset (from a power surge if I understand correctly?) Which brand hub is that?
Wondering if a (good) surge protector on the Behringer monitor load side would have helped. I've never found the cheapie surge protectors do anything except sell power products (strips). I did find a power strip that turned the outlets on one at a time. But lost track on the brand/model. But it did minimize load spikes.

I've been looking at a possible hub problem for an installation that I didn't do, but haven't thought about a power issue.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Ed, I think it was a USB hub failure that locked up my computer as the problem continued on UPS until I moved the USB power supply onto the UPS power. Whether or not six Behringers with switching supplies will suck enough power at turn on to create much of a surge has a lot to do with power routing and the dynamics of the event which can vary just based on power line distances and how much of the surge gets absorbed in the wiring without tugging on the computer or external USB power. It's all on one 15A circuit which is plenty under the static load when all the power supplies are stabilized.

Another solution would be to sequence the power so that not all of the monitors powered on together. The choice of Uninterruptible Power was driven in part by my desire to protect the server grade hard drives and a Samsung EVO SSD from power issues. UPS is just a good thing in general and I was surprised that the largest unit stocked at the local Best Buy was on sale and very affordable.

The other USB hub issue I had was that with the computer on and the USB hub power off this particular model tried to power my encoders from the computer USB port where the USB hub connected. The computer USB port failed, presumably from trying to supply more than the normal 600mA. That is NOT how I would design a hub.

Romanos

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am

To easily control what comes on when I started using a PylePDBC70. You can read about it in http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13923. It is literally a large power bank where each outlet has its own on/off switch. I use this to turn on my speakers one at a time from one place and it works like a charm and keeps any power drain from being an issue.

jkinkennon

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 am

Now that I have tried a UPS system I don't think I'll be running without one again. Still, the six Behringers turning on together occasionally makes the UPS kick in and "grrr" at me for a second or two. In my case I have one relay set up already for the speakers so I'll probably add another, slightly delayed, so all of the switching happens automatically.

I do like the Furman equipment otherwise and that's a nice power setup, Romano. You have made a lot of impressive choices on your entire setup for that matter.
Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems