It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

Hauptwerk not recognizing Launchpads on boot up

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

jerrynazard

Hauptwerk not recognizing Launchpads on boot up

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

I recently built a new computer and used Hauptwerk backup to transfer settings. Hauptwerk is set in the startup folder to launch automatically on boot up. It will not recognize my two launchpad units. I mark them offline, hit OK on the MIDI device window without making any changes, and everything loads. Drivers are up to date. I know that this subject has been previously covered in this forum. Sorry to bring it up again, but I could not find the previous discussion. Many thanks! -Jerry

Andrew Grahame

Re: Hauptwerk not recognizing Launchpads on boot up

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:18 am

This occasionally happens to me on an unpredictable basis. The cure I've established is to (a) close Hauptwerk, (b) unplug the offending launchpad, (c) reconnect it, (d) then relaunch Hauptwerk. No need to shut the computer down. I have my 6 Launchpads labelled with their Windows device numbers so I can go straight to whichever one happens to offend. There's no rhyme or reason which I've been able to establish as to why this happens. My Hauptwerk computer is a PC running Windows 7 64-bit. I unplug the USB cable from the launchpad itself. I am running the 6 launchpads through powered USB hubs - 4 into one hub for the left side of the console, and 2 into a second hub for the right side.

Andrew

mdyde

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 4:23 am

Hello Jerry,

To add to Andrew's reply, I'd recommend also setting the 'Minimum time to wait on start-up' setting to about 15 seconds on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab. That should help in case, as the computer boots, Windows is sometimes launching Hauptwerk before Windows has finished loading the Launchpad drivers (or any other relevant drivers/components).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 am

An Incidental thought. Recently I came across a similar situation in that LaunchPads (2 of them) were starting fine for approx 3 months. Then they stopped. What actually happened was that during that time (3 months), all kinds of computer junk files had accumulated which slowed the booting process of Windows and as Martin mentioned needed to allow more startup time of the L/P's. But the real fix was to running a cleaning program (CC)and get rid of the junk. Amazing (to the computer owner) how much faster and "peppier" his [i]old[/i ]computer was. Something like when the computer was new. :shock: No need to add time for LaunchPads to startup. 8)

(I suggested he leave the "allowed" time as it had been. Then when the L/P's stopped working he would know it was time to clean up his computer. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks Martin. I'll apply that setting to my computer too. For weeks on end the computer loads normally, then out of the blue it drops a launchpad at random on startup. I have been unable to spot any consistency about it. I'll let you know if this setting makes a difference. I do run CCleaner on this machine from time to time - though not for a while - and recently spent some days defragmenting the main external hard drive where all the major Hauptwerk files are kept. Time for some more housekeeping I think.

Andrew

mdyde

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 am

Hello Andrew,

P.S. To clarify, in case it's relevant, the setting I mentioned would only be appropriate if you had set Hauptwerk to launch automatically when the computer boots (otherwise, i.e. if you were launching it manually, it would just make Hauptwerk unnecessarily slow to launch).
Best regards, Martin.

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am

Thanks Martin. I've used both manual and automatic launching at various times. This problem used to occur more often with automatic launching, but it's also been known to happen on manual launching which is what I currently use. Earlier tonight 1 launchpad had to be replugged. I'll experiment further and see what happens.

Andrew

mdyde

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks, Andrew.

In that case (manual launching) the setting wouldn't help (unless conceivably you happened to launch Hauptwerk manually straight away after booting). Presumably a USB issue or driver issue.
Best regards, Martin.

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 6:00 am

I'll keep looking for clues, Martin. It's not bothered me greatly, but if the problem can be tracked down and solved that would be very good.

jerrynazard

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks to all! Did the above and reloaded the launchpad drivers. All is well. Many thanks for the help.
-Jerry

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing