It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 pm

Armley Schulze

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Andrew Grahame

Re: Armley Schulze

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:18 am

It must be the luck of the draw. My dongle update came through within 24 hours, and I had not yet begun to download the files.

And my thoughts re the upgrade from Armley 32 to 57 - well, folks, you've heard it already from others! Absolutely stunning! Especially nice to hear all the colour and variety in the quieter ranks. Congratulations David - another masterpiece!

Andrew

mdyde

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 am

Gerryo wrote:I hope you have better luck getting a dongle update than I am having. Another day and no update!
This is the second consecutive time I have had trouble. Hope it doesn't develop into a pattern. Up till now, I had the highest regard for the customer service at Milan. Sigh....

Hello Gerryo,

Our apologies for the delays. Now that it's Monday, hopefully you'll only have a very few more hours more to wait until my U.S. colleagues get to it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

smfrank

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 am

I have oodles of sample sets. Little ones. Big ones. Really big ones! I buy almost all new sets that arrive from early 19th century on. Over time, I have had various favorites. My 'go to' instruments. But now, it is settled. This one is magnificent in every way.

The sound is incredible. INCREDIBLE!!!!! The graphics are superb. I have two 27" monitors on either side and the landscape jambs are life size and so very easy to read. No extra 'things' to distract. Amazing how complete this organ is with only 57 stops.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Steve
Steven Frank

Gerryo

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am

You guys are just killing me! Mine is downloaded, installed and I can't use it! Boy am I hoping this gets resolved by the time I get back from my trip!!!

ChangedForever

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Gerryo ---- interesting, I got my dongle update from Milan within 8 hours (today), but the bank hasn't even taken the money OUT of my account yet to pay Lavender Audio yet!! Go figure.... you have the software but no dongle.... I have the dongle but no software.....

Life is strange sometimes...
Mark

jwillans

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 am

I was curious to see a photo of the Schulze's console and found one here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/albums/72157605700214166/with/2593413764/

NickNelson

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:36 am

Yes, if it's not obvious the console is in the box you can see in the left hand photo of the second row of organ pictures.

Nick

murph

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Ordered this evening! (Got tired of waiting and had used the original funds elsewhere.)
Hopefully the dvd/key arrives quickly. Can't wait.

David Butcher

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Firstly, many thanks to everyone for the interest and especially for the really nice feedback in this and other threads concerning this set. It's really appreciated!

Unfortunately, a bug crept into the standard (non-enhanced) 57 stop multi-channel organ definition, meaning that the Swell Cymbal wouldn't sound when drawn. Not sure how I managed to miss that! :oops: This was corrected on the 25th March so is only a problem for orders placed before that date. For anyone affected by this, there's a patch available for download on the Support page - please note that the enhanced multi-channel set and both single-channel sets are unaffected by this. My apologies for this bug.

Visitors to Contrebombarde.com will know of Agnus Dei's wonderful contributions to that site. I'm very grateful and pleased that he has offered some of his Armley recordings to be featured on the Lavender Audio Armley Demos webpage - these are now online there and the range of recordings will grow over the coming weeks.

Best regards,

murph

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Hey, it must be really difficult to track all the upgrade options presented. An error is allowed. It's only human. Keep up the good work.

jwillans

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:23 am

David,

David Butcher wrote:Visitors to Contrebombarde.com will know of Agnus Dei's wonderful contributions to that site. I'm very grateful and pleased that he has offered some of his Armley recordings to be featured on the Lavender Audio Armley Demos webpage - these are now online there and the range of recordings will grow over the coming weeks.

Are the demos created using the Chancel, Nave or Surround version of the samples?

IainStinson

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks for the excellent demonstrations. Iain

jwillans

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 12:18 pm

I rarely buy sample sets - I think in the 10 years or so I have been using HW I have bought three: the Mount Carmel Skinner, the Salisbury and the Pusztaszabolcs (PSZ). The Skinner I have not used in many years although I am very much looking forward to the updated version of this. The PSZ was a purchase to facilitate the learning of a particularly piece of music and I have similarly not used this in many years. Therefore the Salisbury has been my sample set of choice and the more I play it, the more I discovery new tonal palettes and colours - I can sit for hours and improvise on the Salisbury and thoroughly enjoy myself.

My reluctance to buy new sample sets is primarily around having the opportunity to really get to know the instruments in detail. As I have discovered with the Salisbury, for me this really takes time. However the most recent demos of the 57 stop Armley Schulze convinced me that this was an organ I really wanted to get to know better. The excellent demos by Agnus Dei demonstrated a spectrum of subtle colours and incremental layering of sound that really appealed to my taste in organ character and repertoire (and indeed introduced me to a new composer - Alec Rowley - who I am ashamed to say I was previously unaware of).

I bought the set on Friday and managed to have it installed by Friday evening and have played for a limited number of hours over the weekend. All I can say is that it is everything I want in a sample set. The tonal colours are even more impressive than in the demos: there is much more of an immediacy of sound than the Salisbury, with a reverb that while impressive, does not compromise the clarity (I am currently using the single channel set). This is a sample set that I feel I can use for detailed practice as well as performance. I can well understand why one other forum member mentioned that the tonal qualities of the (real) organ at times reduced him to tears. I am still learning this instrument, I haven't yet worked out how to satisfactorily register the grander side of this organ including the hugely impressive Mixture V. But I will and I am very much looking forward to it.

murph

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm

The usb key arrived today. So far, the full version is even better than I had hoped for. The blend on the echo foundation stops is/are amazing! The full string chorus is just sublime.
(More playing required....)

If anyone is interested, the full extended loaded in 24 bit un-compressed uses 92.3Gb inc OS etc.

Well done David on another stunning set.

kwbmusic

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 12:33 am

Are you sure murph? The User Manual state 30GB plus OS, 92.1GB seems way out?
Keith
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments