It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

Armley Schulze

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

NickNelson

Re: Armley Schulze

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 am

That's 30Gb per channel (chancel, nave and ambience).

Nick

deWaverley

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 am

I don't (yet!) have this sampleset, but I notice that the webpage says:

All three stereo channels loaded at 24 bit, all loops and lossless compression has been measured as requiring 50878 MB of RAM

PeterD

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 am

Timeline

Mon 10.55 ordered Armley Schulze
Mon 3.12pm e-mail from David Butcher with delivery details
Mon 3.53pm MDA Licence update e-mail
Mon 4.12pm Licence update submission
Mon 4.20pm Licence update received

Absolutely first class Customer service all round from Lavender and MDA

Thanks so much..... Just waiting for the Post !

Best to All

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

ChangedForever

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Got my Armley dongle loaded yesterday - VERY lovely organ!!! Thanks David, again!

Bri

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 am

HI,
Whilst browsing around (Forum - Contrebombarde?) I noticed a reference to the supplied registrations on the Armley and the fact that one of our illustrious colleagues had made some adjustments to the supplied registrations, or created new ones, that another colleague thought were well worthwhile.
Unfortunately, as is always the way, I cannot now find the reference. I would love to find out who has these alternative registrations and request the information, if they are feeling that generous!
I am hopeless at registering and am always grateful when a sample supplier includes some.
I spend more time trying to register than I do playing - so any assistance is always much appreciated.
Here's hoping!
Cheers
(If you haven't bought this set yet - you don't know what you're missing)

jharmon

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 pm

You are probably referring to Jake (Subbass) who has made some excellent enhancements to several sample sets. Contact him at customhworgans@gmail.com.

Bri

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks for that, but no, I am actually referring to registrations.
I do have one of Jakes marvellous products, that for the Caen, made a huge difference.
Problem is, I spent an unusually long time the other day browsing the forum and then listening to all the Armley recordings on Contrebombarde, and what grabbed my attention was what I described earlier. I really should have followed it up there and then, but didn't!
I was hoping someone might notice this post and know what I am referring to, the only alternative is to try and trace my steps. Will not be that much of a hardship - listening to the Armley -

dhm

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 am

Can you clarify what you mean by "the supplied registrations"?
Are you referring to the default divisional combinations as supplied in the sample-set?
(These can, of course, be altered at any time.)
Or are you implying that some stops had been changed/added?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jharmon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Bri - sorry I misinterpreted what you were seeking. I don't recall seeing any registration suggestions for the Armley. By chance might you have remembered Daniel Cook posting his registrations for the Salisbury and thought of the Armley?

Bri

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:42 am

Hi,
No, it was definitely for the Armley because that was what I was browsing on Contrebombarde.
(Have remembered it was Contrebombarde rather than this forum.)
Thanks everyone for the suggestions anyway.
I am going to re-browse Contrebombarde! (determined to get there in the end!)

Bri

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 am

FOUND IT!!
It was on Contrebombarde.
I will not mentioned the persons involved until I have contacted them in case they object.
Thanks to all for attempts to help.

Bri

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 am

After all that, it turns out that there was a misunderstanding on my part!
The conversation related to the Salisbury and was a general chat on the basics.
Serves me right for eavesdropping!

David Butcher

PostWed May 03, 2017 8:55 am

Hello all ...

Firstly and most importantly, many thanks indeed for all of the kind comments made on this and the other Armley thread since my last post. All of your feedback is very much appreciated!

Just a few things I wanted to mention ...

• There is a problem with one of the release samples on the multi-channel set. Specifically, the medium note duration release sample for the Pedal Quinte, note 48 (tenor C), sounds very strange. This affects the surround sample only. I have fixed the problem and there is a patch available for download at the top of the Support page. Not sure how that managed to slip through the testing net, but sorry for the bug.

• I have been asked if anyone has had a go at programming the Hauptwerk master crescendo for the Armley set? Please let me know if you have and are willing to share the associated combination set.

• Agnus Dei has been very busy making music with Armley over the past few weeks and the Demos page now has a lot more content than when I last posted. Sincere thanks again to AD and I will also try to upload some files which demonstrate some of the features of the Enhanced set.

Best regards to all,

jharmon

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:39 am

Would anyone using the Salisbury and Armley be willing to give their comparison of the two instruments?

jwillans

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:16 pm

jharmon wrote:Would anyone using the Salisbury and Armley be willing to give their comparison of the two instruments?

These are two quite different instruments but I'm guessing you are interested in a comparison of the sample sets.

The Salisbury is a hugely impressive instrument and wows visitors with its range and particularly approaching full organ, individually stops sound impressive and blend well across the plenum. I feel when I am playing the Salisbury I am slightly detached from the instrument and I think this possibly reflects positioning of the microphones when recording the samples. For this reason I am comfortable with performance or improvising on the Salisbury and in this respect can play it for hours, but practicing and learning new material to a lesser extent.

The Armley is an equally beautiful instrument, I use the chancel samples only which are recorded close to the pipe work (although I do have the multi-channel set) which gives a real sense of engagement with the instrument. It feels like I am at the console and this brings out the marvellous tonal colours of the instruments more so than the Salisbury and particularly in the flues. The reverb is sufficient on this instrument to make this suitable for both performance and practice and the stops blend as equally well as the Salisbury. I find voicing the Schuzle with the reeds and Mixture V more challenging than the Salisbury, but this reflects the organ (and my ability) rather than a characteristic of the sample set.

Both instruments are exceptionally in their original and virtual form and I would be hard pressed to choose between them. I would say that the Armley represents very good value for money, and the fact that it allows me to practice and perform would perhaps push me towards this this as a first choice if I did have to choose. I don't think you will be disappointed with either.
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments