It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

Hauptwerk Drive Requirements

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

iBuildMacs

Hauptwerk Drive Requirements

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi. We need some build advice from the community. A customer purchased a Hauptwerk system with four drives:
256GB Flash Storage (1500MB/s)
512GB Flash Storage (1500MB/s)
1TB SSD (500MB/s)
4TB HD

He was not sure if the operating system should be installed on the 256GB or 512GB drive.

My questions:
How big is the Hauptwerk application?
How big are the sound libraries?
How big of a drive is required to record to?

What is the ideal drive configuration for optimal performance?

For reference, the remainder of the system:
Apple Mac Pro (2012/13)
12-core 3.46GHz
128GB Memory
GTX 980 4GB GPU

NickNelson

Re: Hauptwerk Drive Requirements

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm

My experience, based on (so far) fairly modest sample sets:

My C: drive (SSD) has the OS, Windows 7 Ultimate, HW program and a few small ancilliary programs and takes up 48 Gb.

My D:drive (conventional HD) Has the installation files for one fairly big (Hereford Willis) and a selection of smaller organs and uses about 100 Gb.

My F: drive (SSD) is only used for organ caches an is currently using 38 Gb.

The D: and F: requirements will vary enormously according to the the user's taste (and pocket) for large organs. Personally, I'd think an additional 4 TB HD would hardly be necessary, but other users will probably have different views.

Nick

iBuildMacs

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes, from speaking with another member, it seems like the samples / sound libraries can go up to 1TB.

So far, I figure the following to be the ideal configuration:
256GB Flash - OS and Hauptwerk
256GB Flash - cache
2TB SSD - samples / sound libraries

mnailor

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Putting cached sample sets on SSD or flash will speed up loading an organ.

I would use the 1TB SSD for the sample cache. My 512GB SSD only holds about 20 sample sets, so I have to leave out some I bought. Don't constrain the cache size too much -- you'll regret it!

The 512GB drive should be good for the OS and apps with expansion room, and the 256GB drive could be the Hauptwerk installation and user settings.

The big HD is great for the installed sample sets, downloaded installation files, and Hauptwerk backups.

Some of the biggest organs in 6 channel surround take 50 to 80GB on the cache disk and nearly 100GB of installation files, not including the RAR files they rode in on.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:04 pm

IBuildMacs supplied me with my MacPro 2010 12 core - 3.33Ghz, 96GB Memory. I installed a 256 solid state drive in my previous 2008 8 core but it was far too small (important) despite having faster load time
(not as important). I traded it for a larger conventional hard drive. The Esztergon is a 70GB sample set. My 8 core had 32 GB of memory which was fine for most of my sample sets except th Esztergom.

Compared to the price of a new 12 core "coffee can" , the older 12 cores are equally as fast (Geek Bench 30,000) and far less expensive.
Antoni

Antoni Scott

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

IBuildMacs supplied me with my MacPro 2010 12 core - 3.33Ghz, 96GB Memory. I installed a 256 solid state drive in my previous 2008 8 core but it was far too small (important) despite having faster load time
(not as important). I traded it for a larger conventional hard drive. The Esztergon is a 70GB sample set. My 8 core had 32 GB of memory which was fine for most of my sample sets except th Esztergom.

Compared to the price of a new 12 core "coffee can" , the older 12 cores are equally as fast (Geek Bench 30,000) and far less expensive.
Antoni

mdyde

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 am

Hello iBuildMacs,

I'd suggest having a quick read through the following document sections that discuss Hauptwerk storage recommendations:

- 'Store drives' section in: https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf (page 6).

- 'Installation: background information: planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide: https://www.hauptwerk.com/support/documentation/ (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version).

If I was to set up a Mac Pro myself for Hauptwerk use I would probably go for:

- 1 TB SSD for the OS and all of Hauptwerk, except for the 'sample sets and components' portion (an option in its installer in Custom mode).

- 4 TB 7200 RPM or 10,000 RPM hard-drive for the 'sample sets and components' portion.

However, instead using a 512 GB SSD and a 2 TB hard-drive respectively would probably be sufficient for many people (allowing for a few large sample sets).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

iBuildMacs

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Martin, thank you for your input. It's appreciated because we get many inquiries for Hauptwerk systems.

I will offer him your recommendation along with a more performance oriented configuration since it seems he wants the absolute best performance.
OS and Hauptwerk: 1TB PCIe SSD or Flash Storage
Sample sets & Components: 4TB 7,200rpm HD or PCIe SSD (or maybe a 2TB PCIe SSD with the ability to later add another 2TB if needed)

mdyde

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.

iBuildMacs wrote:OS and Hauptwerk: 1TB PCIe SSD or Flash Storage
Sample sets & Components: 4TB 7,200rpm HD or PCIe SSD (or maybe a 2TB PCIe SSD with the ability to later add another 2TB if needed)

Personally I wouldn't bother with an SSD for the 'sample sets and components', since the performance of that drive would only make a significant difference when installing a new organ or loading a new organ for the first time (or if changing rank memory options subsequently for it) -- its performance wouldn't make a significant difference for day-to-day use. If a 2 TB SSD was an option then I would use that for the OS+Hauptwerk (instead of the 1 TB SSD) and still use a 4 TB 7200 hard-drive (or perhaps 10,000 RPM if the price wasn't much higher) for the 'sample sets and components'.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs