It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

Release of the Wonder Morton 4/23 VTPO

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Release of the Wonder Morton 4/23 VTPO

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 am

Hi,

Melotone Sound Productions are pleased to announce the release of the Wonder Morton 4/29 VTPO sample set for Hauptwerk! Many thanks to all those involved in gathering information about the Wonder Mortons, and to those in the testing team. Please go to https://sites.google.com/site/meltonesoundssa/home/a-wonder-morton-423 for more information.

Images and some demo tunes, plus the order form, are available from the link.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

ggoode_sa

Re: Release of the Wonder Morton 4/23 VTPO

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 am

We've had a couple of great performances given to us from players of the Wonder Morton 4/23, Kiss by Kiss (I'm Falling in Love With You) played by Don Springer (hear it at http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/24340), and the March from the 1934 RKO movie King Kong played by Iain McGlinchey (see https://soundcloud.com/melotone-sounds/rm423_king_kong_im_mp3). I've added them to the Wonder Morton 4/23 web page as well, so both are now accessible from there (https://sites.google.com/site/meltonesoundssa/home/a-wonder-morton-423).

Enjoy the music!
GrahamG

Erzahler

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 pm

A great Wurlitzer example and organist in Australia that you may not know;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaBA2mabWs
http://www.sydneyorgan.com/Orion.html
Last edited by Erzahler on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jharmon

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 8:31 am

Graham - Ian always provides great performances. The thing that struck me immediately was the difference in sound between the sample pieces. Ian seems to have an excellent reverb setup leaving a great natural sound. Has he indicted the audio set up he uses?

ggoode_sa

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 am

Hi,

From Iain's discussion on FaceBook - Iain McGlinchey: "There's nothing that fancy with the reverb. I used apple AU matrix that comes with every mac."

But yes, reverb makes the instrument sing :)

jharmon

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks Graham,

Since 2010 I have fought through various convolution reverb setups. I never liked the results that well and gradually quit using theatre sets and convolution reverb. Your information from Iian sent me to Apple Au Matrix today and suddenly I found the theater sets sounded much better. To those with the Apple Au Matrix - try it. It even works well with some of the classical sets with no or little reverb.

jharmon

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 am

I just downloaded the new Morton sample set. Graham has done an excellent job and I think for the price this is an excellent instrument for the theatre enthusiasts.

imcg110

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi
Here is a screenshot of the settings I used on the recordings with Apple AU matrix reverb:
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/uploads/24459/Screen%20Shot%202017-03-04%20at%2018.43.42.png

jharmon

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Iian,

This was so gracious of you. Can't wait to try this tomorrow. My modifications were close but this will be perfect.

Organorak

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 am

Am having fun with this sample set - I've no real experience with theater organs and whilst the free Paramount 310 was nice to have a bit of fun with, this is a far more comprehensive sample set for my four manual console.

I have two questions that I'd appreciate help with. Graham might be interested in knowing that I have painstakingly created a photorealistic j-organ "console" suitable for two portrait orientation 1920x1080 touchscreens as I believe he has used j-organ himself and the supplied two monitor images were suitable for landscape monitors not portrait.

(1) I've successfully connected around 250 stop tabs between j-organ and Hauptwerk, but am struggling with the "toy counter" buttons. They response to Hauptwerk's autodetect function, but when I press the buttons in Hauptwerk I only get a brief and feint momentary sound whereas if I hold the button on in Hauptwerk I can get a continuous sound for e.g. the bell. I expect it's something to do with the MIDI settings for stop controls in Hauptwerk (momentary on-off etc) but having tried quite a few the only setting that j-organ seems to be able to trigger is the momentary on off MIDI. What should I be doing differently?

(2) My keyboards (but not pedalboard) are touch sensitive. Is there any way in which I can take advantage of that to make the second touch stops sound if I play more heavily than usual? Or alternatively is there a simple way to tweak the second touch stops to sound on "first" or conventional touch without having to do clever things in the CODM?

Many thanks for the advice!

mdyde

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:35 am

Hello Organorak,

Organorak wrote:(2) My keyboards (but not pedalboard) are touch sensitive. Is there any way in which I can take advantage of that to make the second touch stops sound if I play more heavily than usual? Or alternatively is there a simple way to tweak the second touch stops to sound on "first" or conventional touch without having to do clever things in the CODM?

If any given virtual keyboard supports second-touch then Hauptwerk will allow you to trigger it using either:

- Real 2nd touch key contacts, or:
- MIDI polyphonic (key) aftertouch exceeding a chosen threshold, or:
- MIDI note velocity exceeding a chosen threshold, or:
- MIDI channel aftertouch exceeding a chosen threshold.

It should auto-detect those automatically (automatically picking the 'best' of those trigger types that was heard from your hardware during auto-detection), but you can also configure it manually by right-clicking on the relevant virtual keyboard (e.g. the Accompaniment), selecting 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...', and configuring the 2nd touch settings near the bottom of the right-hand settings pane.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ggoode_sa

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:37 am

Hi!
Great to hear that you're creating your own GUI with jOrgan. I do this a lot too :)

For the 2nd Touch question - yes. Right click on the Accomp, select "Adjust MIDI/Trigger setting manually...", then in the configuration panel find the Theatre organ 2nd touch input from MIDI keyboard section (bottom right) and configure it as shown below (click on the image to see it in full size):

Set the MIDI velocity threshold to a value that suits you playing. Do this for the Great as well.

You'll also have access to the extra Stops as your using jOrgan. Click on Organ Settings -> Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons... then scroll down to the bottom of the list. The X Stops are not on the Hauptwerk console but are available for those with MIDI consoles. etc. :

For the Toy buttons, how have you configured them in jOrgan (you can contact me at ggoode.sa@gmail.com to discuss the jOrgan bits further - I'd love a copy of your disposition!)

GrahamG

Organorak

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Many thanks Martin and Graham - success with second touch on the manuals!

Incidentally my pedals have only a single contact, but by enabling second touch and setting its velocity trigger to 0 I found that enabled any depression of a pedal note to trigger the second touch and thus control the second touch stops as though they were "first touch" stops.

I have messaged Graham to see why j-organ isn't communicating properly with Hauptwerk for the toy counter stops.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments