It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

Windows 10 Creator Update

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Windows 10 Creator Update

Organorak

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 pm

What's the general feeling from the developer end (one for you Martin?) on Windows updates? On the one hand you advise users to ensure we are using the latest version of Hauptwerk and Windows. On the other hand, Windows has an annoying habit of causing blackouts to random users; for many Hauptwerk users the latest update will install automatically and unnoticed but there will be a few whose computers throw a wobbly. Probably a different few users' machines threw wobblies with last month's updates, and the current frustrated users didn't even notice the update. Why risk destabilising something that is running perfectly well?

My Hauptwerk PC is still running Win 7 - although I upgraded to Win 10 I had to roll it back as I encountered numerous issues (mainly graphics and monitor resolution problems) that were immune to several days of tinkering. Thankfully the rollback worked perfectly and if I feel brave in the future I suppose I could image by Win7 disk and try upgrading to Win 10 again to see if a later update works better.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 am

Hello Organorak,

Since Windows 10 Creator Update is effectively a new version of Windows (i.e. a new operating system, not just a minor update), except for test systems/partitions, my recommendation would be to wait until it's matured a little (perhaps for a couple of months or so) before installing it, and until we've had a chance to test it thoroughly with Hauptwerk. Apparently Microsoft themselves have actually advised people to wait before upgrading, until they've resolved some of the major initial bugs: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-creators-update-issues-microsoft-user-problems-manual-download-a7705091.html
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

tf11972

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Microsoft "blackmailed" me today to upgrade :evil:

After an update of the old version I still could logon on my HW-PC, but after that I got a black screen. A restart didn't help. Only upgrading solved this issue, I didn't want to restore from a backup.

Obviously it works :?
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

MattOlieman

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 am

My Windows system has been updated about a week ago to Windows Creator Version 1703. Regarding Hauptwerk, I've noticed no differences in performance or graphics.

jkinkennon

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am

I am still running the fast track beta releases of Windows 10 Creator with good results. I enable Game Mode for Hauptwerk and disable the Superfetch service.

I found out that it was a bad idea to try and enable Game Mode for Reaper at the same time. That created some resource confusion. Just running the mouse pointer across the Hauptwerk display would cause audio crackling. So don't try to use Game Mode to optimize more than the primary task which would be Hauptwerk in our case.

I keep my computer on the internet which is not the best mode of operation. I have seen very rare glitches with Windows Defender which I could turn off or reschedule if I were isolated from the network.

Frank-Evans

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Still running Windows 7 Pro/64 never a glitch... never on the internet.. :D

Tweedle_Dee

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 am

Unfortunately, I updated to Creator at the same time as upgrading to a MOTU Ultralite Mk4 (from an EMU1820.) I get significant crackling that comes and goes now, and sometimes the audio interface completely stops working until I reboot it. Game mode did not fix this. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Tweedle_Dee

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm happy to report that a very recent Windows driver and firmware update from MOTU fixed all my issues, at least from what I can tell after playing for 90 minutes.

Jan Loosman

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 7:00 am

After the creator update my elo touchscreens are not working correctly anymore.
I can perform a new calibration but after that they are still not working.

regards Jan

Jan Loosman

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 2:16 pm

After deinstallation en reinstall of the Elo drivers everything works again.

Regards Jan

IainStinson

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 am

I updated my main HW machine to Windows 10 "Creator" edition yesterday. All seems to working correctly (so far). I needed to free up some space on the SSD to enable the update to begin.
Iain

jerrynazard

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Message deleted. Sorry.....
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs