It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

Most similar organ to Duke Chapel in Durham, NC

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

montyjnc

Most similar organ to Duke Chapel in Durham, NC

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 am

Good morning! (Or whatever time a day it is for you :) )

In the coming future, I will be spending quite a bit of time on the organ of Duke Chapel in Durham, NC, USA. The organ is a colossal 1932 Aeolian. Can anyone reccommend the most similar sample set to this organ that I could use to practice? If I had to guess, perhaps the Father Willis from Salisbury Cathedral?

Thanks for your help!

mnailor

Re: Most similar organ to Duke Chapel in Durham, NC

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am

Based only on the specification, since I haven't heard it, you might look at the Aeolian-Skinner samplesets from CLR Resourses and Sonus Paradisi. There isn't a 1930s Aeolian or equivalent.

castaway

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Back in the early seventies, while I was a resident in Pathology at Duke Medical School, I used to practice on the Chapel Organ from 12 a.m. to 3 a.m every Sunday morning. At that time the organ was is in a state of moderate disrepair, but even then it was magnificent. (The 32 foot pedal reed had been disconnected because of the fear it might damage the building. At least that is what a fellow organist there told me!) You are in for a treat. I have not been back to hear the restoration of the Aeolian.

There is nothing available from North American in Hauptwerk format that would be of use to you. Even the recent releases of Skinner organs in North America -- organs with actual "concert room" acoustics (Garden Grove) or minimized recorded reverberation (Los Angeles Congregational) do not approach the incredible acoustics of the old Duke Aeolian.

Considering Hauptwerk equivalents in English organs, I find recordings of even the Salisbury to be uninspiring.

Albert

1961TC4ME

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Well, here's a video example of the instrument and all I can say is wow, what a set it would make! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xugbgfg371s

I too found myself in this position awhile back, no current Aeolian Skinner sample set in a large acoustic available, and I too was trying to find that one instrument that is as close to something like this example as I could, but at the same time it had to be within my budget as well.

Although nowhere near as large, it does have its similarities in sound and the large beautiful acoustic as well, so I finally settled on the Dingelsteadt from SP as being closest and within my price range.

Otherwise I too would agree, if it's in the budget, the Salisbury by MDA would likely be the closest example you're currently going to find.

Marc

mnailor

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Yep. As much as it pains me to do this, I add fake reverb to US samplesets, even the really good ones like Portland Rosales.

murph

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm

ARMLEY!!!!!!!

jharmon

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm in total agreement with Marc on both the Dinglestaedt and Salsbury. They, along with the Caen are the most realistic sample sets I use. The Caen and Dingestaedt are both greatly enhanced and improved by Jake's (Subbass) inexpensive modifications. Jake is at customhworgans@gmail.com.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am

Hereford by Lavender Audio could be another one to look at.

Marc

montyjnc

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you for the recommendations! Also, this was before Aeolian became Aeolian skinner (I believe)

adri

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I heard the organ before getting to play the Flentrop and both organs, although totally different, are totally wonderful. I told Jiri that sampling either one would be a great idea. The acoustics there are also fantastic!

adri

addendum:

PostMon May 08, 2017 11:06 am

There's also a 2 man. Brombaugh organ in a good sized side chapel, very well suited for early music.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments