It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 pm

Fatar keyboards durability

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

maestropotvin

Fatar keyboards durability

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:11 am

Hello all,

Today I tried Fatar wooden keyboards. They looked great and I enjoyed the feel of them.
One comment the gentlemen showing me the keyboards made was that the plastic puffs (that create the tracker feel) could last up to 5 years before needing replacement. This has me a bit worried because I do not want to have to open my console every 5 years to replace parts.

That being said I would like to know of your experience with the Fatar keyboards with regards to durability, other thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you.

Stéphane

engrssc

Re: Fatar keyboards durability

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:29 am

Five years is possibly conservative generally speaking. Contained in that are many variables, such as how often and hard the manuals are played and even the location climate. Unfortunately, everything wears out including organ players. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 am

I would expect this to be the case. The contact strips would certainly wear out in 5 years of heavy playing in that time frame. Things that would last indefinitely for an amateur like myself give different mileage for those who practice a number of hours every day.

I'm curious what experiences our professional organists can share.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 am

I use 3 beautiful ebony keyboards. I had a problem with a key contact after months of use, but placing the replacement strip was very easy. I recommend to get and keep several replacement parts just in case.

maestropotvin

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you for your replies.

The keyboards on the console are from the 1980's and still work fine, but they are plastic keys.

In all honesty my hope, if I get new keyboards, is to install them and not have to open the console again ever!!!

If the Fatar will require repairs in 5+ years, can you recommend other wooden keys keyboards?

Thank you,

Stephane

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

I Utilized the original Contact Rails that came with my Wurli. Pipe console, after a thorough cleaning of the sterling silver wire, contact blocks, and the silver tipped shorting bars. I kept having missing notes on my organs and cleaning the contacts helped, only to have other notes go missing ! So I checked my options and decided to try Optical Switching rather than magnetic. "I HAVE NOT HAD ONE MISSING NOTE" in the past 5 Years. :roll:

All my keys, and all my pedals are optically switched, The keys have a very noticeable Positive feel when playing the organ ! I will provide you with any info you want if you, DM me !
---( No hysteresis & No Problems--- ! ) :D

jkinkennon wrote:I would expect this to be the case. The contact strips would certainly wear out in 5 years of heavy playing in that time frame. Things that would last indefinitely for an amateur like myself give different mileage for those who practice a number of hours every day.

I'm curious what experiences our professional organists can share.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm

I worked in Musical Instrument repair shops, and Kept a sizeable supply of Rubber Contact strips as well as rubber key guides, for many keyboard makes, as in Professional Use, the bubble contacts simply did not last any longer than the Silver Contacts ! :oops: Best wishes, RSVP, Mel

maestropotvin wrote:Thank you for your replies.

The keyboards on the console are from the 1980's and still work fine, but they are plastic keys.

In all honesty my hope, if I get new keyboards, is to install them and not have to open the console again ever!!!

If the Fatar will require repairs in 5+ years, can you recommend other wooden keys keyboards?

Thank you,

Stephane

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

You may be able to get replacement Bubble Contact Strips,
If the old ones should fail, after long use ! :roll:

maestropotvin wrote:Thank you for your replies.

Thank you,

Stephane

engrssc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

maestropotvin

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Can anyone recommend more durable keyboards then?

Thanks.

organtechnology

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 pm

maestropotvin wrote:Can anyone recommend more durable keyboards then?

Thanks.

Sure for about $4,000/keyboard you can get wood keyboards from Europe that will be more durable.
I think that I can get Organ Supply Industries keyboards to you for around $3,000. These are keyboards that are probably good for 30 years or so of Sunday playing as they have gold contacts. Cheeks will add another $300 or so per manual.

If you do not play Rock and Roll on them in concert 5 nights a week Fatar keyboards will last a long time and if they fail just unplug it and put a new one in. It will still be cheaper than a pipe organ keyboard with tracker touch but if that is not one of your criteria, go for it.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

seh52

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Interesting discussion about durability.
Many organists seem to decry the miracle of plastic keyboards.
My 19 year old Johannus SW-30 plastic keyboards work as good as new, and show no signs of wear. Also, they are easy to clean with Windex after some visiting organists smudge them up.
Plastic may not feel as good as wood, but it works and lasts--old Hammond keyboards, for example.

engrssc

maestropotvin

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks Ed.

I purchased the keyboards on ebay.

Best,

Stéphane

engrssc

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I have the same (wooden) keyboards on my Rodgers 340. Beautiful touch and very reliable. Just be careful around the wire contacts under the keys. You don't want to disturb them. Appears all the wiring is intact including the wiring for the thumb pistons. Should make connecting everything relatively easy.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI