It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

Wireless Headphones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

tskille

Wireless Headphones

PostMon May 08, 2017 8:07 am

Hi!

I have just bought my first Hauptwerk-system, right now I'm just waiting for the dedicated computer to arrive - but I haven't figured out what headphones to get. There doesn't seem to be much written about wireless headphones here, is there any particular reason? I've tried googling a little about latency, and the results I have found are mostly related to computer-gaming, and I've seen some people say that they don't experience any latency with e.g. the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless. Might this be a good headphone for organ-playing? Or even Sennheisers RS 160 or HD 4.40? I guess there must be some difference weather it's a radio (RF)-signal or a bluetooth signal as well...

I just thought it would be annoying playing and practicing with the cable dangling around all the time...

Best regards
Torkil

magnaton

Re: Wireless Headphones

PostMon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm

From my understanding there is a loss of fidelity when transmitting audio wirelessly. Here on the form, many of us continue to look for ways to improve the audio playback experience. Bluetooth 4.0 is suppose to resolve some fidelity loss but the signal is still compressed, is it not? If you are using headphones for HW playback, you are sitting in one spot on the bench so personally I don't see the mobility advantage of a wireless set. I would opt for a wired version for better audio quality.

Danny B.

jwillans

PostMon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm

I also recall a report that there was a latency when using bluetooth headphones such that the sound was massively delayed. I would suggest going the well trodden path of wired.

adrianw

PostMon May 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I say don't go there!

I have the RS160s which are pretty good for recorded music but not for live playing. The latency (which of course adds onto otherwise unnoticeable latencies in the HW system) is certainly noticeable when playing. I haven't measured it, but it is enough that though at first it seems tolerable it soon becomes wearing.

To be fair Sennheiser themselves warn that they are unsuitable for live use on their website:

note while the sound quality of these headphones is fantastic for any type of music, they were not designed for use while recording/tracking and monitoring or musical instrument practice (performer wears the headphones while playing).

Also, there are occasional but irritating random connection issues and of course they need to be charged to work.

I have gone back to HD650s - always near-perfect sound, always ready-to-go.

engrssc

PostMon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I'll still take my K712's even with the long orange cord. Very flexible and the quality of sound adds a new (very good) dimension. :D Quite a bit betterr than my spkrs which aren't cheap either.

Rgds,
Ed

tskille

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks for your feedback!
Back home I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770s, which I thought would work well, but I'm currently living abroad for a couple of months, so I don't have them with me. I'll see if I can find another temporary solution. I have very good IEMs, but that might be a strain full for long periods...

tskille

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:48 am

I ended up going for both the wireless Sennheiser HDR/RS 180, and the AKG K712. Convenient with the wireless when I need a page turner, since I don't have any speakers atm... The AKGs haven't arrived yet, but I have the wireless Sennheisers, and latency really isn't an issue. It's so minimal it's not really noticeable - I'm not sure if I can perceive any latency, or if I think it's a minimal latency since I know it's there. But it works very well to play with! And lovely to not have any wires dangling around my head!!

I have a Komplete Audio 6 sound card, do I need a headphone amp as well, I'm then thinking of the AKGs, not the Sennheisers...

telemanr

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:05 am

It appears to have a phone jack so I would think that would suffice for the K712. I have a pair and use the phone output on my MOTU Ultralite.
Rob Enns

Return to Amplification