It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

Felt for Pedalboard

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Albo

Felt for Pedalboard

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:46 am

Hi
I've had a pedalboard in my garage for a few years and now I've retired will have time to spend restoring it's use for Hauptwerk. When I took it apart, the felt underneath the front of the pedalboard appeared badly worn. I want to replace this. Has anyone got any suggestions as to the grade of felt to use or are there any alternatives?

Thanks
Alan

Andrew Grahame

Re: Felt for Pedalboard

PostThu May 11, 2017 7:43 am

Your best bet would be to locate a supplier of piano materials near to where you live. For pedalboards you need "cushion felt". The thickness will influence the depth of touch. AGO console dimensions state that this should be ½ inch at the front line of the sharps.
Andrew

magnaton

PostThu May 11, 2017 10:22 am

Be careful not use "piano felt" which tends to be hard and very compressed. Felt for an organ pedal board is called "bumper felt" or sometimes "down felt". Andrew is correct, 1/2" thick and needs to be soft so a hard pedal attack (bottom felt) or quick release (top felt) will remain silent.

Here in the states, I had to contact a professional organ (build/repair) company as the parts supplier wouldn't sell to me directly.

Danny B.

jkinkennon

PostThu May 11, 2017 11:26 am

I've used F7 felt strips 1" wide by 1/2" deep available in a variety of lengths from Grainger here in the U.S. I've also tried F3 which is a bit more durable but noisier so i guess that's the tradeoff as the F7 is quiet but softer and will compress in less time than a firmer grade like F3.

Price is very fair at Grainger. Just do a search on their site for 'F7 felt strip'.

Andrew Grahame

PostThu May 11, 2017 11:28 am

Just to clarify - I didn't specify an actual thickness of felt. The ½ inch measurement refers to depth of touch ( the amount of key travel). You would need to figure out the felt thickness to give this much key travel.
Andrew

jkinkennon

PostThu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

I agree on the thickness of the felt needing to match the pedalboard. The 1/2" will be right for the Rodgers and Allen consoles and was correct for one AOB pedalboard I have. Others, especially older pedalboards, might well need a different thickness or even width for that matter.

Albo

PostThu May 11, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Many thanks for your replies.

This has given me something to work with. Thanks again

Alan

johnh

PostThu May 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Organ Supply Industries offers part number

6110.00 "Pedal Hammer Rail Felt".
Select gray felt for up and down
stops at toe end of pedal keyboard
thumper bars.

54"L x 1-1/2"W x 1/2" T

GrahamH

PostFri May 12, 2017 4:22 am

In the UK, Kimber-Allen list pedal board felt in their catalogue (which you can view on-line and download), but no details, so you would need to telephone.
Proper felt costs an arm and a leg - so by the time handling, carriage and VAT charges have been added, be prepared for an arm and two legs. But having the proper stuff certainly makes for a nice job.
If you know a friendly Organ Builder that would be a good avenue to try.

Graham

Albo

PostFri May 12, 2017 4:40 am

Thank you again for the suggestions of some organ suppliers and builders. Thanks. Most helpful.

Alan

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI