It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 pm

Requesting advise to midify a Yamaha Electone organ

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

OrganeriaMIDI

Requesting advise to midify a Yamaha Electone organ

PostTue May 16, 2017 5:49 am

Hello, friends. I mean those analogical models from 70's having two 61-notes keyboards and a 25-notes pedalboard, such as E-5AR, E-10AR, EX-42, etc. What is the best approach? Is it advisable to get rid of all the old electronic and controls and built-in speaker? Is it possible to keep the drawknobs and buttons in service? A friend of mine has asked me to midify his some damaged old companion. Also there are lot of them in my country, most out of service, without hope for parts or technical service.
Thanks in advance for every tip.
Rafael.

organtechnology

Re: Requesting advise to midify a Yamaha Electone organ

PostTue May 16, 2017 8:27 am

OrganeriaMIDI wrote:Hello, friends. I mean those analogical models from 70's having two 61-notes keyboards and a 25-notes pedalboard, such as E-5AR, E-10AR, EX-42, etc. What is the best approach? Is it advisable to get rid of all the old electronic and controls and built-in speaker? Is it possible to keep the drawknobs and buttons in service? A friend of mine has asked me to midify his some damaged old companion. Also there are lot of them in my country, most out of service, without hope for parts or technical service.
Rafael.

Hello Rafael,

There were several discussions, some with photos, on the forum over the years so you might research that as a starting point. The main things I would want to know are; "What are the matricies of the keyboards and pedal board and what MIDI controller best fits that matrix."

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14947&p=120056&hilit=Electone#p120056

Once that is determined then the rest will follow easily. I am assuming that all the Yamaha electronics are removed and replaced with modern digital MIDI.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

toplayer2

PostTue May 16, 2017 8:52 am

The "console" shown below was fabricated with two 61 note manuals and a 25 note pedalboard that were removed from a Yamaha HX-1. These were fitted with MIDI encoder boards made by Roman Sowa's Midi-Hardware (see link). The top manual is a Novation Launchkey and the table comes from Ikea.

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php ... oduct=MBBS

Earlier Yamaha keyboards are no doubt different from the HX-1, but as long as there is one contact per key to a common bus, the MBBS boards will work.

Joe Hardy

OrganeriaMIDI

PostTue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello, Thomas. That was a very complete and informative post. I remember I did a search for the topic, but it was before the date of that post. Thanks a lot.

organtechnology wrote:
OrganeriaMIDI wrote:Hello, friends. I mean those analogical models from 70's having two 61-notes keyboards and a 25-notes pedalboard, such as E-5AR, E-10AR, EX-42, etc. What is the best approach? Is it advisable to get rid of all the old electronic and controls and built-in speaker? Is it possible to keep the drawknobs and buttons in service? A friend of mine has asked me to midify his some damaged old companion. Also there are lot of them in my country, most out of service, without hope for parts or technical service.
Rafael.

Hello Rafael,

There were several discussions, some with photos, on the forum over the years so you might research that as a starting point. The main things I would want to know are; "What are the matricies of the keyboards and pedal board and what MIDI controller best fits that matrix."

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14947&p=120056&hilit=Electone#p120056

Once that is determined then the rest will follow easily. I am assuming that all the Yamaha electronics are removed and replaced with modern digital MIDI.

Best regards,

Thomas

OrganeriaMIDI

PostTue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Joe, your information is gold. Thank you

toplayer2 wrote:The "console" shown below was fabricated with two 61 note manuals and a 25 note pedalboard that were removed from a Yamaha HX-1. These were fitted with MIDI encoder boards made by Roman Sowa's Midi-Hardware (see link). The top manual is a Novation Launchkey and the table comes from Ikea.

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php ... oduct=MBBS

Earlier Yamaha keyboards are no doubt different from the HX-1, but as long as there is one contact per key to a common bus, the MBBS boards will work.

Joe Hardy

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing