It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

Reaper 2 front + 2 rear channels

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Reaper 2 front + 2 rear channels

PostMon May 22, 2017 4:33 am

Hello All,

After a repair of my PC, I had to reinstall all my programs. Unfortunately, I don't recover my initial configuration of Reaper for my convolution reverb. I had 2 front channels for the dry and wet signals balanced, and 2 rear channels for the wet signal only. Now, the rear channels contain the same as the front instead of the wet signal only. My current settings are:
- Master track
- Track 1 (Hauptwerk)
- Track 2 (Front)
Track 3 (Rear)
Is there something wrong in my settings?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Luc

mdyde

Re: Reaper 2 front + 2 rear channels

PostMon May 22, 2017 6:12 am

Hello Luc,

Did you transfer your Hauptwerk settings (via 'Backup | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk) to your new PC, and, if so, have you avoided changing the audio routing settings in Hauptwerk since doing so? (If so, then we can assume that your Hauptwerk settings are still as you'd like them to be.)

If so, in Hauptwerk, are you routing the wet+dry mixed audio to the HauptwerkVSTLink's channels 1 and 2, and the wet signal to its channels 3 and 4? In particular, are you doing the wet+dry mixing within Hauptwerk, or trying to do the mixing within Reaper?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostMon May 22, 2017 6:35 am

Hello Martin,

I have restored all the HW settings from my backup, therefore the audio configuration must be right. I did the same with Reaper, but unfortunately, it doesn't restore all the settings as it does in HW. The division in two stereo pairs (dry +wet and wet only) was organised inside Reaper, not inside HW. If you mean another way could be easier, I would be happy to try it, but in this case I should need a tutorial, both for HW and Reaper settings.

Cordially,
Luc

mdyde

PostMon May 22, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks, Luc.

In that case, hopefully some other Reaper users might be able to advise (since there are people on the forum with considerably more in-depth knowledge of Reaper than me).
Best regards, Martin.

murph

PostMon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Luc,
In the master track. under add new hardware.... hit the DELETE button.
In the routing for track 2 (HW1/2) under add new hardware output, select the output on your sound card that does your front speakers.

In the routing for track3 (hw3/4) select the hardware outputs for your rears.

This should do what you want, assuming the "receives from" on track3 is HW1/2 outputs.

ludu

PostTue May 23, 2017 3:24 am

Hello murph,

Many thanks for your answer. I have made the corrections you suggest. Now the rear pair gives a signal with reverb, but the front pair sounds completely dry despite the reverb activated one this track. Have you an idea of what to do?
Luc

Jan Loosman

PostTue May 23, 2017 7:50 am

Hello Luc

I must say the outlay is a bit puzzling.
In which track do you have Hauptwerk VST in track 1? and do you route to everey track from there?
First of all you can delete al the extra tracks and only use the front and rear track. (save your current conf first to be sure)
Every VST has a IO tracking button. Look if this sending every track to the corresponding track 1>1, 2>2, 3>3, etc. but i guess this is not corrupted.
Since you use 4 parent channels you must set in every track parent channels 1-4 (or more if necessary) and track channels set to 4
In track 3 you have to correct this .
In the lower right of this track audio 3/4 now goes to 1/2 this must als be 3/4.
See if this helps?

Regards jan

ludu

PostThu May 25, 2017 9:14 am

Many thanks murph, Martin & Jan for your posts. I am afraid Reaper is too complicated for me. A real gasworks in which I have spent so much time, too much! I mean the best for me is trying an external module like the Lexicon MX-400. I hope the quality will be equivalent. Does anyone have made a comparison between Lexicon and a convolution reverb?
Luc

jkinkennon

PostThu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

The Lexicon MX-400 will produce wonderful results and be much simpler to use. The simplicity alone will allow better results for most users.

Yes, I love Reaper and convolution reverbs, but these products are complex with so many opportunities to make mistakes in their configuration that it becomes a study in itself. Most organists would prefer to study music and its performance and needless complexity isn't helpful most of the time.

magnaton

PostThu May 25, 2017 4:38 pm

jkinkennon wrote:The Lexicon MX-400 will produce wonderful results and be much simpler to use. The simplicity alone will allow better results for most users.

I've always wondered how to incorporate this unit into a multi-channel setup? The MX-400 allows reverb for 4 channels but if you have 8 or 10 channel audio channels do you buy a couple more Lexicons?

Older Hammond tone cabinets, not Leslie (for tonewheel organs) had the reverb driver pointing straight up where as the organ tone fired from the front. With reverb turned up and standing a few feet away you didn't really notice that the forward drivers were dead dry. Would that clever design work for HW, say reverb on every other speaker in a multi-channel setup?

Danny B.

jkinkennon

PostThu May 25, 2017 11:51 pm

I prefer the software plugins for reverb since it's possible to run multiple independent instances for multichannel systems. I'm currently running 5 instances of Seventh Heaven for 10 channels total. That lets me set earlier reflections for front channels and more late reflections for the back.

With Reaper it would be possible to set up tracks that behave like aux sends to a hardware reverb's inputs. That would allow additional flexibility, but then one is back to the complexity we would like to avoid. The returns from the hardware reverb could be fed into tracks that would distribute them to multiple front or rear channels. Not so ideal as what can be done with the software plugins but good enough for this type application. I don't find organ reverb to be nearly as critical as reverb for voice or piano -- just my opinion.

mdyde

PostFri May 26, 2017 3:55 am

magnaton wrote:I've always wondered how to incorporate this unit into a multi-channel setup? The MX-400 allows reverb for 4 channels but if you have 8 or 10 channel audio channels do you buy a couple more Lexicons?

Older Hammond tone cabinets, not Leslie (for tonewheel organs) had the reverb driver pointing straight up where as the organ tone fired from the front. With reverb turned up and standing a few feet away you didn't really notice that the forward drivers were dead dry. Would that clever design work for HW, say reverb on every other speaker in a multi-channel setup?

People with dry/direct multi-channel speaker systems often also use aux mix-downs to feed the dry/direct channels mixed-down signals through one or more stereo reverb processors, themselves driving additional speakers (e.g. positioned amongst the dry ones, or perhaps behind the player/listener).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing