It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 pm

HW4 Organ Preferences for the OAM Trost sampleset

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

abaymajr

HW4 Organ Preferences for the OAM Trost sampleset

PostFri May 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Yesterday I revised the release notes for the OAM Trost sampleset I became a bit confused about some (apparently) discrepant recomendations between the sampleset author and Hauptwerk manual. The first one is to disable harmonic-shaping filter, when in combination with wind supply model, as the sampleset release notes say. On the other hand, Hauptwerk says for "disable harmonic-shaping filters" option: "play more pipes at once but less realistically, specially tremulants". How to conciliate those recomendations? Also, the notes say to turn down to zero "Random pipe detuning adjustment" in Configure General Options, but in Configure Organ General Options, say to leave at 100%. Considering HW4 does only have only one Organ Preferences window, what should I do? Leave it at 100% or reduce it zero?

Also, do those recommended values for air flow randomization (turbulence) adjustment, tremulant depth randomization adjustment and wind modulation depth adjustment apply to the HW4 at the same amount or ratio?

mdyde

Re: HW4 Organ Preferences for the OAM Trost sampleset

PostFri May 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Hello abaymajr,

Everything on the 'Organ settings' menu (including the Organ Preferences screen) is organ-specific, so any changes you make for one organ won't affect any others, and if you want to set some of those preferences differently for one particular organ then that's no problem.

abaymajr wrote:The first one is to disable harmonic-shaping filter, when in combination with wind supply model, as the sampleset release notes say. On the other hand, Hauptwerk says for "disable harmonic-shaping filters" option: "play more pipes at once but less realistically, specially tremulants". How to conciliate those recomendations?

Usually the harmonic-shaping filters add considerable realism to the wind supply model and tremulants, but presumably Prof. Maier (OAM) has prepared the samples in that sample set in some way so that they're optimised for playback without those filters. I don't know off-hand what/why -- I'd suggest contacting Prof. Maier directly to verify if needed.

abaymajr wrote:Also, the notes say to turn down to zero "Random pipe detuning adjustment" in Configure General Options, but in Configure Organ General Options, say to leave at 100%. Considering HW4 does only have only one Organ Preferences window, what should I do? Leave it at 100% or reduce it zero?

I think the sample set's release notes were probably written when Hauptwerk v2 or v3 were current. Assuming so, in Hauptwerk v2/v3 setting either of that general preference, or its corresponding organ preference, to zero would result in there being no random tuning, so to achieve the same effect in v4 you would just set the organ preference to zero.

abaymajr wrote:Also, do those recommended values for air flow randomization (turbulence) adjustment, tremulant depth randomization adjustment and wind modulation depth adjustment apply to the HW4 at the same amount or ratio?

Yes -- a given value will give the same effect in v4 as it did in v2/v3 (but some settings were duplicated between general and organ settings in v2/v3, as above, in which case the two would combine in the expected way, e.g. multiply together for percentages).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support