It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

Floating Divisions: Inputs and Routes

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Randall Mullin

Floating Divisions: Inputs and Routes

PostMon May 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Feeling grateful for Hauptwerk and what it means in my life is a daily occurrence. That being said, one of the most perplexing issues when dealing with the program is trying to understand the difference between the Input Tabs and the Route Numbers in the Organ Settings/Keyboard screen when setting up Floating Divisions.

In my own tutorial I have mapped out the Floating Divisions/Input Tabs/Routes by trial and error, because I cannot grasp the information as described on page 111 in the Hauptwerk User Manual.

So far, my understanding of the Organ Settings/Keyboard screen is:

1. Keyboards listed on left side = sample set virtual keyboards
2. Input Tabs on the top right = ?
3. Under Input drop down menu
Floating Division = physical MIDI keyboard (so that makes set up on page 110 easy)
Route Number = button number on Floating Divisions large control panel

So if the above is correct, what do the Input Tabs do?
If the Input tabs = buttons on the Floating Divisions screen, what do the Routes signify?

If someone else has asked this question before, please just direct me to that thread.

Many thanks,
Randall

p.s. I hope that a more graphical way of dealing with this can be utilized in a future version of the Hauptwerk User Manual.
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

IainStinson

Re: Floating Divisions: Inputs and Routes

PostMon May 29, 2017 7:07 pm

I hope this might help...

The input tabs across the top of the "organ keyboard" window allow a division to be played through up to 4 different input paths. You can assign a single division to be played from more than one physical keyboard. (For example select the Primary Input tab, auto detect a keyboard to play the division , then select the Input 2 tab and auto detect a different keyboard; both keyboards will now play the same division.)
<Edi:Input tab name corrected>

With floating divisions the multiple inputs enable you to set up some useful ways of playing instruments on consoles where there are more divisions than keyboards. You could for example configure this arrangement.
Floating Route 1
Manual 1. Great Division
Manual 2. Swell Division.
Floating Route 2
Manual 1. Choir Division.
Manual 2. Swell Division.
Floating Route 3
Manual 1. Great Division
Manual 2. Solo Division.
Changing the active floating route changes the current assignment.

The Great Division would be configured using the Primary Input (keyboard 1, Route1) and Input 2 (keyboard 1, Route 3). The Swell Division would be configured using the Primary Input (keyboard 2, Route 1) and Input 2 (keyboard 2 Route 2). The Choir and Solo Divisions would only use their Primary Input (1/r2 and 2/r3 respectively).

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

josq

PostTue May 30, 2017 1:29 am

Dear Randall,
Yes, floating divisions are perhaps the most abstract and hard to understand part of Hauptwerk. But once understood, they can be a very powerful tool.

For example, if a sample set has 4 virtual manuals, but your console has 3 physical keyboards only, then -while playing - you can assign any of the 4 manuals to any of your 3 keyboards. For that, you will need 4x3=12 route buttons.

As you can see on the large floating division control panel, no less than 20 routes can be programmed: up to 4 route buttons per division, on up to 5 divisions. However, per input tab you can only accommodate as many routes as there are virtual manuals. To accommodate all routes, you need multiple input tabs - for example one input tab for each floating division.

If I find opportunity, I will post a scheme as an example.

David Baldwin

PostTue May 30, 2017 3:34 am

I too struggle with floating divisions. I have a three manual console. Since most of the new big sets are four manual, I have to set up floating divisions. Each time I struggle, usually finding two manuals on one division. I always manage to sort it out eventually and am grateful for the facility. If there is a two manual organ, I set one manual to play two divisions, no need for swell to great coupler. The problem for me is really understanding it with a picture in my mind.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 4:28 am

Hello Randall,

I see Iain and josq have posted excellent explanations (thanks as always Iain and josq), but if you still need clarification then please let us know which specific concept you're having difficulty with.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 4:50 am

P.S. We do also have an existing enhancement request logged for a new dedicated grid-style screen for configuring the routes, so as to help to make it easier to visualise.
Best regards, Martin.

josq

PostTue May 30, 2017 4:54 am

I have just posted a scheme on the Dutch forum for mapping 4 keyboards to 3 floating divisions. See http://www.pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2739

IainStinson

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:23 am

I can't see the jpg of your scheme. The site says I don't have permission to view attachments.

Can you provide a link to the scheme here please?

Iain

josq

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:50 am

Hm, does this one work? http://www.pcorgel.nl/download/file.php?id=2926. Otherwise I'll ask the forum moderator

profeluisegarcia

PostTue May 30, 2017 7:01 am

David Baldwin wrote:I. The problem for me is really understanding it with a picture in my mind.

Hello David:
Our colleague Evert-Jan wrote for me a very interesting and profusely illustrated guide to Float. Divisions.I can share it with everybody. Just send me a PM with @address.
Luis

Randall Mullin

PostTue May 30, 2017 9:19 am

I am sure that at some point this will all make sense, but right now I am still not grasping it. Like a foreign language I have to translate each term into something I can relate to. The more a person uses a foreign term in a message the more confusing it is to me.

So far I have translated:
Floating Divisions = physical MIDI Keyboards
Route Numbers = buttons on the Floating Division control panels
inputs Tabs: =

On the normal Organ Settings/Keyboard screen using an input acts as a permanent coupler.
Input Tab = Permanent Coupler

If I assign the Great sample set keyboard to MIDI keyboard 2 with the Primary Input it is permanently coupled to that keyboard. If I assign the Great to my fourth MIDI keyboard with Input 2 it is permanently coupled. Now keyboards 2 and 4 play the Great Division at the same time. This is how I understand it.

Now using the floating Divisions, perhaps these Input tabs become temporary couplers, which are associated with buttons through the route designation?
Input Tab = Temporary coupler associated with a button.

So I would like to translate this into a two step process.
1. sample set keyboards to Input Tabs.
Take just the Choir sample set division on a three manual MIDI console. Primary Input should be Keyboard 1.
If I want to make the Choir sample set division play on Keyboard 2 I would assign that to Input 2. It will now play on keyboards 1 and 2, but instead of both keyboards playing the Choir division at the same time they will only play that division when associated with a button.

2. Input Tabs to Route Numbers Using the Choir sample set division
Now if I want to assign my Primary input to a button, I should be able to make this Primary Input, Route 1.
If I want to assign Input 2 to a button, I should be able to assign that to route 2.
Is this correct? If it is not, can you explain this in these simple terms using this two step process?

Many thanks,
Randall
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

josq

PostTue May 30, 2017 9:56 am

OK, a detailed analogy... Hopefully I got every detail right.

I would say an input tab is like a dressing room for a sporting team. In a dressing room, it is determined (routing) which outfit (sample set manual) is given to which player (floating division, corresponding to a physical manual).

Multiple players can form a team (a particular configuration of your manuals) in different arrangements, e.g. a particular player can play as an attacker or a defender (floating division 1 can be the Choir or the Great, etc). A team has a name (route number), but the composition of a team can be changed ahead of a match (routing programming under organ settings>keyboards).

On the back of each outfit, the player number is printed (designation of a sample set manual as choir, great, swell, or solo division). For each player number, only one outfit exemplar can be present in a dressing room (under each input tab, you can configure each sample set manual only once).

If multiple teams are playing (multiple routes being programmed), multiple dressing rooms are needed. One logical way to arrange the dressing rooms is to have one dressing room for each team (e.g. use input 2 for all routes with number 2). However, other arrangements are possible.

During a match (during organ playing) teams can be changed as a whole, or individual players can be changed (options on the floating divisions panel).
Last edited by josq on Tue May 30, 2017 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 9:57 am

Hello Randall,

Perhaps try thinking about it this way:

On paper, or on a spreadsheet, make a grid with the number of floating divisions that you want to use (up to five) as rows, and with exactly four columns -- one for each of the four possible routes. (The cells of this grid will correspond to the route buttons on the floating divisions large control panel.)

In each cell, enter the virtual keyboard that you'd like the floating division (=row, =MIDI keyboard) to map to when the given route number (column) is active.

For example, suppose that you wanted to use two MIDI keyboards as floating divisions, and that you wanted the routes to be set up as follows:

- Row 1, which represents floating division 1 (=MIDI keyboard 1):
- - Column 1 (=route 1 for that floating division): Great
- - Column 2 (=route 2 for that floating division): Swell
- - Column 3 (=route 3 for that floating division): Choir
- - Column 4 (=route 4 for that floating division): Echo

- Row 2, which represents floating division 2 (=MIDI keyboard 2):
- - Column 1 (=route 1 for that floating division): Echo
- - Column 2 (=route 2 for that floating division): Choir
- - Column 3 (=route 3 for that floating division): Swell
- - Column 4 (=route 4 for that floating division): Great

[Unfortunately I can't easily format the above actually as an actual grid in a forum post.]

Now make a second grid, this time with the virtual keyboards as rows, and the setting screen's 'Input' tab number as columns (1-4).

To populate the second grid:

1. Start with the first row (=the first virtual keyboard, i.e. the virtual Great). Look in you original grid and find the first cell that contains the virtual keyboard (Great). In my example above, Great occurs first in the first grid in row 1, column 1. That particular cell in the original grid (row 1, column 1) denotes 'floating division 1, route 1', so in the first free column for the Great row in your second grid, enter 'floating division 1, route 1'. Cross that occurrence of the Great out in your original grid, since it's now been transferred to the second grid.

2. Now find the next cell (if any) in your first grid that contains that same virtual keyboard (the virtual Great), and which hasn't yet been crossed out. In my example above, Great next occurs in the first grid in row 2, column 4. That particular cell in the original grid (row 2, column 4) denotes 'floating division 2, route 4', so in the next free column for the Great row in your second grid, enter 'floating division 2, route 4'. Cross that occurrence of the Great out in your original grid too, since it's now been transferred to the second grid.

3. Repeat for any further occurrences of the given virtual keyboard (the Great), although my example has no further instances, so row 2 (the Great) in the second grid is now complete.

4. Move on to the next row in your second grid (the virtual Swell) and repeat steps 1-3 to populate it.

5. Repeat for the remaining virtual keyboards (i.e. rows in your second grid).

Your second grid would then contain:

- Row 1, which represents the virtual Great:
- - Column 1 (=settings screen input tab 1): 'floating division 1, route 1'.
- - Column 2 (=settings screen input tab 2): 'floating division 2, route 4'.
- - Column 3 (=settings screen input tab 3): [empty]
- - Column 4 (=settings screen input tab 4): [empty]

- Row 2, which represents the virtual Swell:
- - Column 1 (=settings screen input tab 1): 'floating division 1, route 2'.
- - Column 2 (=settings screen input tab 2): 'floating division 2, route 3'.

- Row 3, which represents the virtual Choir:
- - Column 1 (=settings screen input tab 1): 'floating division 1, route 3'.
- - Column 2 (=settings screen input tab 2): 'floating division 2, route 2'.

- Row 4, which represents the virtual Echo:
- - Column 1 (=settings screen input tab 1): 'floating division 1, route 4'.
- - Column 2 (=settings screen input tab 2): 'floating division 2, route 1'.

You would then populate the input tabs on the settings screen accordingly.

Does that help to clarify?

[Edit: P.S. Thanks also josq for the colourful analogy! I see we both posted replies at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.

Randall Mullin

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you all for your responses. Perhaps when I have dissected josq's analogy I can compare it to mine and see where I am correct and where I am wrong.

Martin thanks so much for taking the time to come up with a spread sheet. I will go through it step by step and see if I can come up with an analogy that will work for most organists.

As all of you know, the Hauptwerk community was originally populated by many people with an engineering orientation and an interest in the organ. As Hauptwerk attracts more and more organists with no engineering orientation things like using floating divisions in Hauptwerk will not be user-friendly until they can be translated into "organist speak."

I look forward to that graphical interface when it arrives.

Many thanks,
Randall
Randall Mullin

organsRgreat

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Here's a simple workaround that I find useful: Say you have three manuals. The middle one is designated Great, controls the organ's Great division, and transmits MIDI on Channel 2. You need this manual to also control the Swell. Go to Organ Settings > Keyboards, and set the Swell division to receive on Channel 2. Hauptwerk will now play BOTH the Great and Swell stops from the middle manual.

This can be done while an organ is loaded, as no re-chaching is required, and the new allocation will be remembered the next time that organ is loaded. I would imagine that most Hauptwerk users know on which MIDI channel each of their manuals transmits, but if not there's an easy way to check. Go to View > Large floating control panels (for this organ) > Audio, MIDI and performance. In the bottom part of that panel you'll see a row of MIDI channel numbers from 1 to 16. Look at the top row of lights, labelled Console MIDI IN. Play a few notes - a green light will flash to show which channel Hauptwerk is receiving. Another green light will illuminate to show MIDI data arriving on ANY channel, but for identification purposes the ones under numbers 1 to 16 are the ones to check.
Next

Return to Technical support