It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

Reinstallation on Mac

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

soyeso

Reinstallation on Mac

PostMon May 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I use HW on Mac and PC. I recently had to wipe the Mac drive. I thought I had adequate backups of everything, but there was a misunderstanding about Time Machine backups causing HW data to be deleted. So I have recently reinstalled HW from the original DVD.
However, I have some folders backed up from before, and I am wondering how to move them from the external drive to the computer. I made a screen shot of the folders, but don't see a way to attach such information. Folders are named
1. HW Internal Working Files
2. HWSampleSetsandComponents
3. HWUserData
Then there are three associated xml files
Is there a place to simply move these files to regain my organ installations, or do I have to start from the beginning to load all instruments separately?
I looked on the forum, but could not locate a similar situation.
Thanks

chr.schmitz

Re: Reinstallation on Mac

PostMon May 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello soyeso,

HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles contains the cache files, created by Hauptwerk in order to speed up loading of sample sets.

HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents contains the Organ Definition Files, Packages and Temperaments.

HauptwerkUserData contains all user data, as the name of the folder suggests. Hauptwerk stores here mainly organ settings, organ combinations, and custom organ definitions (if you create your own organs) for the four different profiles.

I have no idea, what the three XML files in the main folders are good for. On my test system, these files are empty anyhow.

What should you do in order to restore your system?

If you restore HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents, you don't have to re-install all sample sets manually.

If you also restore HauptwerkUserData, all of your MIDI programming should work again (as long as your USB ports did not change).

The folder HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles is the least important folder. If you do not restore this folder, all caches will be rebuild automatically. The first start will take some time, but you do not have any further disadvantages.

You should also check, whether you find the backups, which Hauptwerk automatically creates. If you use the latest backup file, all of the HauptwerkUserData should be restored as well. On a Mac you can find these backup files in ~/Hauptwerk/AutomaticBackups.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Chris

soyeso

PostMon May 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your message. What I need to know is WHERE to place these folders, since they do not exist in the newly installed HW, or at least I have been unable to find them.
I don't have the backups for registrations, but that is not an issue as they exist in the PC laptop copy.
So my question is how to go about placing the folders into the newly installed HW (Mac)?

Regards,
Tomas

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello Tomas,

if you used the default installation, on a Mac these folders were subfolders of /Hauptwerk.

Chris

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 4:07 am

Hello soyeso,

To add to Chris' reply (thanks, Chris):

This is another similar topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16157 .

The only officially-supported way to set a new system/drive up is to install Hauptwerk and all sample sets afresh, and optionally to use 'File | Restore your Hauptwerk settings or personal data from a backup' within Hauptwerk (e.g. restoring from your most recent automatic backup, from the Hauptwerk/AutomaticBackups sub-folder of your (previous) Mac installation's home folder. The 'Backing up and restoring your settings and data' section and its 'Moving your settings to a new/different computer or restoring them to your existing computer' in the user guide (pages 25-29 in the current v4.2.1 version) cover it all.

Doing it that way ensures that all file and folder permissions end up correct and that all files/components are valid and consistent, whereas trying to move/copy files/folders manually risks breaking things now (or in the future, e.g. when next trying to run Hauptwerk's installer).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

soyeso

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

Now there is another issue. I loaded HW 4 from a DVD, and then updated it. HW cannot find St Anne's as it says organ package ID 000010 is not present. Do I have to reload HW?

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 30, 2017 10:27 am

Just try to reinstall Hauptwerk again. St. Anne's is part of the base package and should be installed every time...

Chris

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:35 am

Hello soyeso,

To add to Chris' reply (thanks as always, Chris), please just install the current (v4.2.1) version of the 'full installer', rather than the 'update installer'. (The update-installer would only work properly if you had actually launched a v4+ version at least once.)
Best regards, Martin.

soyeso

PostTue May 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I installed HW 4 from the DVD (which is now OK) before I saw Martin's response. Does that mean I should now uninstall HW 4? Where would I get v4.2.1 (I only have the update form). Why can't I just update what I have to 4.2.1?

Now I just noticed another issue. I have just upgraded RAM from 16 to 32 GB. However, HW is showing only 20.7 GB as available, even when activity monitor shows about 29GB available. This is strange, since when I had 16gb, HW showed 14gb available. I made the upgrade to get other sample sets, but 20gb will not be enough.

Thanks
Last edited by soyeso on Tue May 30, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chr.schmitz

PostTue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

No, you can always perform a full install, even if an older version of Hauptwerk is already installed...

Chris

mdyde

PostTue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello soyeso,

soyeso wrote:I installed HW 4 from the DVD (which is now OK) before I saw Martin's response. Does that mean I should now uninstall HW 4?

If your DVD is for the current version (v4.2.1) specifically, then that's fine, and you don't need to install or do anything further (since the version on a DVD is identical to the 'full installer' download for any given version number).

If the DVD was from an older Hauptwerk v4 version then you can always download the 'full installer' for v4.2.1 from our main downloads page:

http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/

(There's an option on the right-hand side for whether you want the 'full' or 'update' installer.)

[Edit: P.S. Thanks, Chris -- I see we both replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.

soyeso

PostWed May 31, 2017 3:28 pm

As soon as I installed 4.2.1 the free RAM available for for HW went from 20.8 to 30.7gb!
Thanks for the information/comments.
Tomas

mdyde

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 am

Hello Tomas,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear it's installed and working properly now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support