It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

Transferring files from Mac to Windows

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Transferring files from Mac to Windows

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

I am reluctantly replacing my Dell Precision 6700 laptop with a newer and lighter version, as illness has made it rather difficult for me to carry around such a monster. It has occurred to me, however, that the 6700 would probably run Hauptwerk better than my ten-year-old MacPro (I don't know how the Core i7 compares to a pair of dual-core Xeon processors, but it certainly has more RAM - 32GB compared to 24). However, I am having problems trying to find a way of transferring my sample set installation files from the Mac to the PC, as there doesn't seem to be such a thing any more as a USB drive that can be read and written to by both OSX 10.5 (I think that is Leopard) and Windows 7. Some of the original installation CD-ROMs have been put away where I can no longer get to them, and some of the sample sets were originally downloaded from the suppliers, but I have them all as *.RAR files on the Mac.

It seems that OSX can read NTFS but not write to it, and the version I have is too old to understand exFAT. They will both cope with FAT32, but some of the files are larger than 4Gb, so that won't work either. Am I missing something here? I don't want to buy a new operating system for the Mac if I'm not going to be using it any more (and in any case I am very much more familiar with Windows).

I am sure in due course I will have a lot more questions about setting up Hauptwerk on a PC, though hopefully most of will be covered in the documentation. The next question that comes to mind is whether to use Windows 7 or 10.

Julian Money-Kyrle

chr.schmitz

Re: Transferring files from Mac to Windows

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi Julian,

if you can put both systems into the same network, you can copy your files over the network.

If not, there are several free read/write NTFS driver for macOS available:

https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/ntfs

Maybe this helps to solve your issue.

Chris

Grant_Youngman

PostWed May 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Never mind …
Grant

brooke.benfield

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

I can't help you with your file transfer problem but I can assure you from personal experience that a 10 year old Mac with Dual Xeons is no match for a single high end Core i7.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

notdefined

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:49 pm

If you have a cd/dvd rom burner, make copies to optical disk and move them that way. The optical disk format is common so both should be able to process it. There is also this: [url]https://www.howtogeek.com/252111/how-to-read-a-mac-formatted-drive-on-a-windows-pc//url]

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:09 am

After trying Chris's suggestion of downloading NTFS drivers I have managed to install an unwanted Safari extension by clicking on the wrong button, and couldn't get the drivers to download...

In the end I decided to go the network route. I live in a 500-year old country house with thick internal stone walls and the electrical wiring in different parts of the house is isolated from each other. I have only ever managed to get WiFi access in some parts of the house, and my wife is reluctant to let me run Ethernet cables everywhere. However, I have managed to get the Hauptwerk Mac to connect to an NAS via a series of links and range extenders, and I hope I can maintain the connection long enough to move the files without it dropping out (estimated time about 24 hours - a bit slower than USB).

I am heartened by Brooke's comment about the Core i7 being likely to work better than the MacPro (as well as having an operating system that I am more familiar with), though I will have to wait for the replacement to arrive and then set it up before I can make a start on a Windows-based Hauptwerk system.

With Many Thanks,
Julian

Return to Computer hardware / specs