It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

Removing a cache froma configuration

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TimM

Removing a cache froma configuration

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 11:45 am

I've been experimenting a lot with various audio routings for various organs in the four configurations, and I just got a message that my cache SSD is dangerously full. Upon investigating, I see that for some configurations there are some organ caches that were one-shot experiments, never to be used again. But these caches are taking up valuable space on my SSD, even though in that configuration I will never again load that organ. How can I clear out such phantom caches to free up valuable SSD space?

mdyde

Re: Removing a cache froma configuration

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Hello Tim,

Currently the only supported way to do that is to un-install the organ (via 'File | Un-install'), which will delete the caches for that particular organ in all four configurations.

(Unofficially, for technically advanced users such as yourself, it's actually possible to delete the cache for a particular organ for a particular configuration by manually deleting its cache file via the configuration's 'HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles/ConfigN-OrganCaches' folder. However, that's unsupported, i.e. at your own risk.The OrganID is shown in the activity log once an organ has been loaded.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

deWaverley

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am

I'm sure this has been asked before, Martin, but I can't find it: Do we have a list somewhere of which IDs refer to which samplesets?

I see what you say about looking in the log for the currently loaded set, but obviously it would be very useful to have a list of what is what.

Thanks

mdyde

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 am

No such lists exists, I'm afraid. (IDs are allocated to sample set producers in blocks, but how they use those IDs is up to them; they don't notify us with that information.) There's no quick and easy way to find the IDs in bulk.
Best regards, Martin.

deWaverley

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 am

Ah, I see - many thanks Martin.

Maybe that should be my 'Challenge of 2017' - to contact all the various Producers and compile the (current) definitive list!

Mixtuur4st

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 am

That list already exists: see the Dutch and/or the German Hauptwerk forum.

Jack

mdyde

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 3:37 am

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of that.
Best regards, Martin.

telemanr

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 am

Mixtuur4st wrote:That list already exists: see the Dutch and/or the German Hauptwerk forum.

Jack

A link or URL would be appreciated.
Rob Enns

Mixtuur4st

mnailor

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 am

You only have to uninstall the organ definition, not all its data packages, to clear an organ from cache through the Hauptwerk file menu. That can save time when you want to play it again, since you only have to reinstall the RAR package that has the ODF and apply any update packages. The trick is finding the right package to reinstall the organ definition, which is usually in the first or last toing

Don't remove organ settings when you uninstall the organ definition if you might load it again.

Just an alternative to needing the organ ID and deleting cache files yourself.

TimM

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks for that extra info. The issue for me is that I don't want to remove the organ from all configurations, just one particular configuration, so just deleting the cache file would be best for me, assuming that it works and doesn't mess up other things. I'm not to that point yet, because I discovered that Hauptwerk was being extremely conservative when it issued the 'low disk space' warning for my cache SSD. I still have almost 100GB free space on the cache SSD, even with several wasted organs/configurations. But if I get desperate I'll try the deletion method.

Tim

OrganoPleno

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 10:24 am

TimM wrote: just deleting the cache file would be best for me...

Here's a shortcut to find which cache file belongs to the Organ you want to delete. Just load that Organ one last time in Hauptwerk (using the configuration from which you wish to delete it), but this time load it using the feature that forces you to specify exactly which ranks to load and how to load them.

This will force Hauptwerk to regenerate the Cache file for that one organ, in that one configuration. (If you only specify a few Ranks to load, it won't even take very long to do this.) Now exit Hauptwerk and look at your Cache files... sorted by time and date. The one file with the newest (current) Time and Date will be the one you want to delete.

And even if you accidentally delete the wrong one... no real problem either, because the next time you load that Organ, Hauptwerk will regenerate that Cache File for you... using all of the same Parameters as previously!

TimM

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 10:38 am

Aha, that suggestion just gave me a new idea. I could reload the organ with rank specification, but select only one rank to load. That would not get rid of the cache, but it would replace the huge complete cache with a tiny one, which would be almost as good as deleting the entire cache. I'll try that some time. Thanks!

chr.schmitz

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:28 am

Tim,

you can go even further... Download the organ without any rank ;-)

Chris

TimM

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:01 am

I assumed that Hauptwerk would chastise me if I tried to load an organ with no ranks selected, but maybe not. Interesting. I'll try that first when the time comes.
Next

Return to Technical support