It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

help for a new user please

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Lefebure-Welyfan

help for a new user please

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

hello fellow organ fans, im a newcomer to the forum,so please don t shoot me down in flames lol.
im trying to setup and evaluate the free version of hauptwerk before i commit myself to purchasing the retail version and any sample packs.(i am on a very tight and limited budget at present. im using a laptop with the minimum system requirements and a CASIO CTK-720 USB MIDI keyboard. when i load the hauptwerk software,i get the error dialogue popping up:

could not open MIDI in port "CASIO USB OUT 1" make sure the port is not in use by another program.
operating system message : unidentified exteral error code 1.

message code for diiagnostic purposes 3807.

any help or pointers as to where i am going wrong would be greatl appreciated.many thanks in anticipation

bryan aka Lefebure-Welyfan
'There is nothing to it. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself'
(JSBach)

1961TC4ME

Re: help for a new user please

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 3:24 pm

I used to use a couple Casio's way back in the day and if yours are like mine, there is an on - off switch on the Casio. This is not a Hauptwerk problem you're having although HW gives you that message, it is simply telling you the port is not open or able to be used. I'd guess it is simply because you're not doing things in the proper sequence and you need to turn your Casio on before you start HW as HW does not support 'hot plugging' i.e. turning off or on a component or plugging a component in once HW is running. Try starting your computer first, make sure it is fully booted and running, turn on the Casio, wait a few for it to be recognized by your computer, and then open HW and see what happens.

Marc

Lefebure-Welyfan

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 pm

hi there,many thanks for the reply,i tried things as you said,even a reinstall of hauptwerk,but still getting the same error. the keyboard is connected and detected by the computer,but i cannot use it with hauptwerk.
any help appreciated

bryan
'There is nothing to it. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself'
(JSBach)

mdyde

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 3:39 am

Hello Bryan,

Thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk.

I don't know off-hand why the Casio USB-MIDI driver might be giving that error (e.g. perhaps it just doesn't work properly for MIDI output), but from a brief look at the CTK-720's specifications on the Internet I don't think there would be any reason to use MIDI output to it anyway, since it doesn't have any illuminated buttons (or solenoid-actuated/illuminated draw-knobs/tabs, etc.) that Hauptwerk could usefully control.

Hence I'd recommend just un-ticking that MIDI port (and un-ticking all others too) on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI OUT ports' screen tab. I.e. you should just have the Casio CTK-720's USB-MIDI port ticked on the MIDI *IN* ports screen tab (not the MIDI OUT ports screen tab), and with nothing else ticked at all on either screen tab. Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

HeAu

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Dear all!

I think, some missunderstanding took place here. Bryan wrote "could not open MIDI in port "CASIO USB OUT 1". My understanding is: "CASIO USB OUT 1" is the devicename with which the device is represented in the list of MIDI IN ports of HW.

@Bryan:
Are you shure you are using the lates HW-version? From my understanding of the user guide I suppose HW 4 should start even when no input device is available if you choose the corresponding option during startup.
Userguide page 15:
"You will need a MIDI interface or USB music keyboard if you want to play Hauptwerk live (although you can evaluate it without one by clicking on the keys on the screen)."

I recommend to disconnect the Casio and then check if HW is starting, offering to choose to quit starting, mark the Casio as temporarly off-line and continue starting or clear the Casio and all its settings from the device list and continue starting.

Another possibillity is that another application is already using the Casio. I think HW cannot share any device with an other application. Maybe there's a software sythesizer, Miditzer or B4 active on your system?

Rgds
heau

mdyde

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm

HeAu wrote:I think, some missunderstanding took place here. Bryan wrote "could not open MIDI in port "CASIO USB OUT 1". My understanding is: "CASIO USB OUT 1" is the devicename with which the device is represented in the list of MIDI IN ports of HW.

Hello HeAu,

My apologies for any confusion -- I think you're probably right, in that I misread Bryan's post.

HeAu wrote:From my understanding of the user guide I suppose HW 4 should start even when no input device is available if you choose the corresponding option during startup.

Correct.

HeAu wrote:I think HW cannot share any device with an other application.

It's true that most MIDI drivers/ports can only be open in one application (e.g. Hauptwerk) at any one time.
Best regards, Martin.

organsRgreat

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Have you used MIDI Ox? It's a free download, and will show you exactly which codes are arriving at your computer. You need to set it up by going to Options > MIDI Devices, and choosing one as an Input. Your Casio keyboard should show up as one of the inputs. Then choose View > Input Monitor, and pressing a few keys should bring up some numbers and/or letters.

As HeAu has pointed out, you should be able to produce some sound from Hauptwerk by loading a sample set and using your mouse to click on a few keys, even if no MIDI imput is recognised.

If I'm having problems with MIDI, I sometimes find that if I exit Hauptwerk, open MIDI Ox, check a few keys, close MIDI Ox, then open Hauptwerk, everything works. I can only guess that the sequence of closing MIDI ports then opening them, twice, sorts out any little nasties that are preventing things working properly.

As you are on a limited budget you may like to review the list of free or almost-free sample sets at:

http://www.pcorgan.com/SampleSetsEN.htm ... tDownloads

The free sets appear half-way down the page. Some of these are cut-down versions of larger sets, but they are often useful on their own, or to help you decide which set you would eventually like to buy.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Just to try throw my 2 cents worth in again. Both of the Casio keyboards I have came with a cable that has a more square shaped plug on one end that plugs into the back of the keyboard, and the other end has a USB plug that obviously plugs into one of the USB ports on your computer. This is all you need to connect between the keyboard and the computer and it should work fine as long as you follow the start up procedure I outlined above. As Martin wrote, other than what I suggest here as a fix, it sounds like perhaps you just have the wrong MIDI boxes ticked in the input / output section in HW and just need to correct that and all should work. The way the Casio's connect is a very straightforward one cable only scenario.

Marc

Lefebure-Welyfan

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 3:36 pm

hello folks,the frustration is rising lol,i`ve done everything as per instructions given,but i must be doing something drastically wrong as still HW will not work.forgive my cheekiness,but i was wondering if anyone would be willing to help via remote assistance.i am at a total loss as to what to do.

**edit** and i have Gigout`s Grand Choeur Dialogue just itching to be played lol

bryan
(JSBach)

mdyde

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:59 am

Hello Bryan,

We don't offer remote-desktop assistance ourselves, I'm afraid, although a gentleman in Canada called Francois Ratte ( http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/ ) does offer that service, on a paid consultancy basis. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.

I would recommend:

- Make sure that you have all current Windows updates installed. (Use Windows Update to check for updates, apply all available, reboot, then keep repeating until there are no more. Note that you might need to click the 'check for updates' button *twice* before Windows actually performs the check.)

- Make sure you have the current version of the driver installed for your Casio CTK-720 keyboard. From a brief look around Casio's website, I believe this is the one that you need: http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72 . If in doubt, try (re-)installing that driver. (Any driver that may have been supplied with your Casio on CD/DVD will probably be an old/outdated version that may not be compatible with current versions of Windows.)

- Make sure that your Casio keyboard is connected to the PC using its USB lead, and that the Casio is powered up, with its own mains power supply connected. (Hauptwerk doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices, so it's important that your audio/MIDI devices remain connected and powered up all of the time that Hauptwerk is running.)

- Reboot after updating anything.

- If you had Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when the PC boots, then exit Hauptwerk (in case, as Windows was booting, Windows launched Hauptwerk before Windows had finished loading all of the relevant audio/MIDI drivers).

- Make sure that no other audio or MIDI software is running (so as to try to avoid any potential contention for audio/MIDI devices).

- Launch Hauptwerk.

- In Hauptwerk, on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen make sure that the entry for your Casio is ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column, and that nothing else at all is ticked on that screen tab. Also make sure that nothing is ticked at all on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab of that screen. OK the screen.

Does that resolve it?
Best regards, Martin.

Lefebure-Welyfan

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 2:26 pm

hi folks,a little bit of progress this end, i now can get HW to start without the midi error dialogue box,but for some reason,the keyboard is still playing its own internal sounds and NOT those of the HW organs.any more ideas please ?

bryan
(JSBach)

mdyde

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Hello Bryan,

If you haven't done so already, with the St. Anne's organ loaded in Hauptwerk, please try right-clicking on the virtual Great manual, selecting 'Auto-detect ...', and following the on-screen instructions. (The 'Quick-start' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- on the Help menu in Hauptwerk -- covers that in more depth.)

Do the on-screen virtual keys then respond when you play your MIDI keyboard?
Best regards, Martin.

Lefebure-Welyfan

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:03 pm

hi folks... you have one extremely happy new HW user here :D the "auto detect" worked,the keys on the virtual organ corresponded to my touches on my midi keyboard,the only thing i hadnt noticed before,was an option in the control panel on the keyboard to turn off local sound output i.e. the keyboard`s own internal sounds. once i had done that, hey presto ! St Annes is now blasting out the Gigout in my very own living room :D sincere thanks to everyone who offered help and advice,what i have learned is that i need a lot of patience and a lot more RAM lol. to say i am amazed by the sound quality is a massive understatement,a sound which i am certain will only improve when i come to a speaker upgrade.once again many many thanks for all the help and advice...

a very happy Bryan :D
(JSBach)

telemanr

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 7:21 pm

We're all greatly relieved because we as happy users want people to have the great experience we've all had.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hauptwerk.
Rob Enns

mdyde

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 3:23 am

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's all working properly for you now. Hope you enjoy it.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)