It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

Photobucket - with 3rd party hosting

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Andrew Grahame

Photobucket - with 3rd party hosting

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:28 am

I've been posting images to the Forum for several years now. I've used the recommended image hosting service "Photobucket" to do so.

It would appear that Photobucket has recently moved the goalposts regarding their terms of use. Today I received an email from them, advising that they will no longer support 3rd party hosting of images (ie: linking to the Forum) unless I sign up to a plan which will cost $400 per year.

I wonder how many other forum members have received similar notification.

I chose Photobucket in the first instance (a) because it was recommended by the Forum moderator and (b) because it was free. Clearly I'm not going to pay $400 per year to maintain my images on the forum, and I would imagine that nobody else on the forum would do so either.

Is anyone else using a different image hosting service (free, or at reasonable cost) which they could recommend?

Andrew

johnh

Re: Photobucket - with 3rd party hosting

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:41 am

I've used Flickr in the past...

For example:

---john.

sonar11

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Just use imgur. It's currently free, has been since it was created years ago. There are no guarantees though, so don't blame me (or the HW admins) if a third party service goes crazy. Nobody can predict that ahead of time :)

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks folks for this feedback. I am not blaming anyone other than Photobucket. It looks as if I will need to swap over to another hosting service. However it may take some time before I can replace all links to my photo uploads.

Andrew

PeterD

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Just given Imgur a try... really very good. Single click copies URL for easy posting e.g this Custom Wyvern replica ( allegedly) of Liverpool Anglican... and its midified. I hasten to say not mine !! Many thanks for the advice
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

JimE

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Andrew,
I just received notification today from Photobucket about 3rd party image hosting. My account will be restricted. So I'll have to find another site to host my pictures. :(
Jim E

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 am

Hi Jim,

I've now received this same notification for the second time.

It would appear that Photobucket are out to drive away their customers. $400 per year to facilitate 3rd-party hosting is a joke! That sort of money would be of far greater benefit to any forum member if put towards purchasing a new sample set. Even their "free" service has become a minefield, with advertisements now popping up left right and centre. My browser is set to disable popups except for specific websites of my choosing, but this has no effect upon Photobucket. Even trying to navigate their screens and functions has become hard, because every few seconds a new ad sprouts forth, obscuring the website's controls.

Fortunately they still allow for downloading of one's own photos, although the way to do this is far from clear. Today I eventually succeeded in dumping the whole of my photo collection via a zip file back into my computer. Over the years I've moved some folders containing the original images out of my laptop's main hard drive into external storage. At least now I've got all of the uploaded photos back into the one place. When I can find the time I hope to set it all up within a new hosting service and replace the forum links. However it would be advisable not to hold one's breath waiting for this to happen, because I'm not looking forward to what promises to be a tedious task.

Andrew

JimE

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Andrew,

I too have received a second notification.

Just changed all my photos to Flickr. Whew, not the easiest, and tedious. Fortunately I keep all my photos on my hard drive which made the task a little easier.

Jim E

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems