It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Keytech monitor recalibration problems

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Keytech monitor recalibration problems

PostWed May 31, 2017 12:18 pm

I purchased two of the touch monitors by Keytech from Brett a few years ago. It has only been until recently (Jan) that I have been experiencing an inability of the screens to follow my touch. I used the supplied 25 point calibration application to recalibrate the screens and they accurately calibrated the screens. When I restart Hauptwerk it seems that the previous calibration has been lost and I have to recalibrate the screens all over again. Since I have an previous version of Hauptwerk and OSX stored as a back-up on a second hard drive in my MacPro, I checked out the calibration on that one and it works perfectly. The baffling thing is that I swear that the calibration worked on my latest version of Hauptwerk (4.2.2) and OSX (10.10), too, but this has been going on so long I forget.
I contacted a Mr. Robby Yu of Keytech several times and he sends me links to files that he says will fix the problem but nothing does. Has this been an issue ? Mr. Yu has suggested the problem is with Mac but like I said the touch screens work accurately with a previous version of Hauptwerk and I believe that they worked with the latest version, too until about Jan of this year.

I would like to fix this problem as I cannot use both monitors, only one. Do you have any suggestions ? Its very frustrating to not be able to use both monitors. If I recalibrate them both before I play, it works fine. It seems that Keytec has no way of "saving" the calibration.

Antoni

Antoni

mdyde

Re: Keytech monitor recalibration problems

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 am

Hello Antoni,

I see that you also emailed this to us, and that Brett replied to your email suggesting that you continue working with KeyTec to get it resolved. (Just for future reference, there's no need to email us in duplicate when posting to the forum; doing so makes some extra work for work us since we then have to reply in duplicate, and we will get your message either way anyway -- many thanks.)

Touch-screen monitor calibration is determined entirely by the touch-screen drivers and hardware (and to a limited extent the operating system, since the drivers depend upon and interact with that) -- it's technically impossible that your Hauptwerk version or Hauptwerk installation, or anything at all within Hauptwerk, could affect the touch-screen calibration. Hence it's something on which you do really need to keep working with KeyTec -- they're the people that will be in the best position to be able to advise on getting it resolved, since they will have detailed knowledge of how their drivers work and interact with the hardware and operating system.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 9:49 am

I had a similar issue with my Keytec Mac drivers some years ago. Frankly, I do not recall whether we finally got it resolved or not, although I'm inclined to think we did. The reason had something to do with the fact that the calibration information was being stored in the wrong place, and I dimly recall there was a plist (Property List) with bad information in it that persisted between uninstall/reinstall of the drivers … so the problem just kept on keeping on.

If you're a software developer writing software for the Mac, it doesn't make much sense to blame the Mac for the fact that your software doesn't work quite right :-)

I resolved all of several issues with Keytec Mac drivers I had had by biting the bullet and buying Touch-Base drivers. I've never had another issue over multiple HW versions and OS X versions. Money well spent.
Grant

organtechnology

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Antoni,

I have multiple cases of the same thing occurring with the Keytec monitors but I am using PCs.
Did Robby also send you a detailed step by step process for installing the drivers? It seems that you must uninstall the old drivers with the USB connected, disconnect the USB, reboot and install the new drivers.

From Robby:

Please have your customer download it and please follow the uninstall and install instructions below.

1. Leave the USB controller connected to the PC.

2. Start the Setup.exe program

3. Select USB, select UNINSTALL <= This is necessary to uninstall the PREVIOUSLY installed drivers.

4. When prompted to REBOOT the PC, remove the Controller from the PC, then reboot.

5. Logon to machine after reboot.

6. Start the Setup.exe program.

7. Select USB, select INSTALL.

8. Connect the controller ONLY when PROMPTED. <= If you install the controller before it is prompted, you will need to start all over with the UNINSTALL process, then the INSTALL process.

9. Reboot when PROMPTED.

10. Run Calibration program. <= Be sure to hold the Calibration Circles for “1” full second. If you “tap” the circles, the calibration data may not register properly (or may not register at all) and the calibration display will be inaccurate.

11. Touch screen is ready to use.

This should be done for both OSX and Windows OS. I run in administrator mode when doing this also.

Hope this helps,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 6:58 am

To Martin Dyde:
I e-mailed the question in duplicate (i.e to you and/or Brett and to the Forum ) becuase the last two times I asked a technical question, I didn't get any response. So since I would prefer an answer from you or Brett I duplicated the question on the Forum for which I always get a response, although it may not be as thorough or complete.

Robby Yu of Keytec is a difficult person to work with since he is very computer literate and assumes others are too. I had this calibration issue in Jan of this year and its noe June and still no success. Finally after about six e-mails with links ( with no explanation of what to do with them) , Robby took my advice and screen shared with me to try and diagnose the problem. An inordinate amount of his time could have been saved by doing this in the first place. But it still didn't fix my problem and he doesnt know what it is either. I am able to successfully calibrate each screen (which is amazingly accurate, by the way) but it doesn't save the settings. I have to calibrate each screen (25 points) each time I wish to play my Hauptwerk. Since my MacPro has more than one hard drive, I have most sample sets duplicated on my other drives. I have no calibration problems with the earlier version of Hauptwerk and everything is spot on, no need to recalibrate. But that is with a previous version which I do not want to use.
I didnt get a list like what I see in one of the Forum responses. I suppose I could try that. Re-calibrating the screens each time I play is frustrating.
Antoni

NickNelson

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 am

I'm with Grant on this one. The symptoms suggest that the calibration is being performed OK, but that the information is either not being saved or not being retrieved properly. On PC's I think this is often due to a 'permissions' problem. I don't know whether this has an analogy on Macs.

I would try to find out (from KeyTech) what the calibration file would be called and try to discover whether it actually exists on your machine.

Nick

mdyde

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 7:32 am

Hello Antoni,

Antoni Scott wrote:I e-mailed the question in duplicate (i.e to you and/or Brett and to the Forum ) becuase the last two times I asked a technical question, I didn't get any response. So since I would prefer an answer from you or Brett I duplicated the question on the Forum for which I always get a response, although it may not be as thorough or complete.

As far as I can tell, looking back at least a year and half, we've replied to every email that we've received from you. Hence if you didn't receive a reply then perhaps your email application incorrectly put it in its spam folder (or perhaps those two messages didn't actually get sent to us, or reach us, somehow).

Antoni Scott wrote:Since my MacPro has more than one hard drive, I have most sample sets duplicated on my other drives. I have no calibration problems with the earlier version of Hauptwerk and everything is spot on, no need to recalibrate. But that is with a previous version which I do not want to use.

Any difference in touch-screen calibration behaviour between the two computers will be due to driver, hardware, or operating system differences between those computers, rather than the fact that they also happen to have different Hauptwerk versions on them. Hauptwerk itself definitely can't affect your touch-screen's behaviour.

Antoni Scott wrote:Robby Yu of Keytec is a difficult person to work with since he is very computer literate and assumes others are too. I had this calibration issue in Jan of this year and its noe June and still no success. Finally after about six e-mails with links ( with no explanation of what to do with them) , Robby took my advice and screen shared with me to try and diagnose the problem. An inordinate amount of his time could have been saved by doing this in the first place. But it still didn't fix my problem and he doesnt know what it is either. I am able to successfully calibrate each screen (which is amazingly accurate, by the way) but it doesn't save the settings. I have to calibrate each screen (25 points) each time I wish to play my Hauptwerk.

Sorry to hear you've been having difficulties getting it resolved with Keytec, but hopefully you'll be able to get there eventually. Alternatively, perhaps you could try the third-party TouchBase drivers that other people have recommended. (Brett or I can't help you with it though, I'm afraid -- I have no experience with Keytec's or Touchbase's products -- the respective manufacturers will be the people who know them in depth.) Hope you manage to get it resolved anyway.
Best regards, Martin.

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Touch-Base has a "trial" version, limited to 100 clicks between cals or reboots. You would need to uninstall the Magictouch drivers before using it, but that would be a way to try them out.

The current commercial list price is $171 for one copy, which is licensed per computer, but there is a substantial discount for a non-commercial, home user.
Grant

Antoni Scott

No support for touch screen monitors

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am

I made a similar post some time ago regarding my not being able to calibrate my Keytech touch screen monitors. I have contacted them too many times to remember but they seem to be very non-responsive.
I am able to calibrate each screen separately, prior to me playing but these calibration settings are not saved. Prior to this problem, and right after I bought the pair of monitors, the Hauptwerk Version was 4.0. Version (4.0) saved on one of my other internal hard drives (I have a MacPro with up to four internal hard drives). These monitors worked fine back then and still do with Version 4.0. The problem occurs with the latest version of Hauptwerk 4.2.
I contacted Keytek and their customer service tech, Robbie Yu, finally agreed to diagnose this issue via computer sharing but even he couldn't get it to work. He created a diagnostic file which he said he would forward to his team for further review. That was months ago. Keytech sent me their latest software update but this didn't rectify the calibration problem.

Have any Hauptwerk owners that have Version 4.2 and have Keytech monitors (which were available for sale from Milan Digital a few years ago) experienced this same problem (i.e. not being able to save the calibration) ? It is time consuming to have to calibrate both screens each time I sit down to play. I could revert to my earlier Version 4.0 but then I woudn't have the benefits of the newer version.

Although I haven't read any monitor issues on the Forum that are the same as my calibration problem, I find it hard to believe that I am the only one experiencing this. Any suggestions would be helpful as I am unfortunately not having any luck with my conversations with Keytech.

Antoni

dhm

Re: No support for touch screen monitors

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 8:32 am

Antoni,
Touchscreen calibration cannot be in any way related to Hauptwerk, so the HW version number is completely irrelevant.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 am

Hello Antoni,

I've merged your new topic into your previous one, since they're both covering the same issue, and so that we can all see all of the relevant details.

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem, and that KeyTec haven't been able to help so far, and that you're finding the issue frustrating.

However, as I wrote before, and as Douglas (DHM) mentioned, it's absolutely 100% technically impossible for Hauptwerk itself (regardless of the version you use) to have any impact on whether your touch-screen calibration or drivers are working properly. You could see that for yourself by simply booting the computer without even launching Hauptwerk -- you would find that the issue exists with any other application (apart from Hauptwerk) that you launched (not just Hauptwerk). Hauptwerk has no knowledge at all of touch-creen hardware or calibration, and it can have no influence over those things -- those things are completely controlled by the operating system and the touch-screen drivers. The driver just tells the operating system where you touched the screen, and the operating system then just sends mouse-click messages to Hauptwerk accordingly.

If it was working at some previous point in time at which you were using Hauptwerk v4.0, and it isn't working now, then the difference will be due to something else apart from Hauptwerk, such as using a different version of the operating system, or different touch-screen driver versions, at the time. I.e. the fact that you're using a different Hauptwerk version is just coincidence, and cannot, in itself, be relevant to the issue.

It isn't something that I can do anything about, or help you with, I'm afraid -- KeyTec themselves are probably the only people that have the relevant level of knowledge of their product to be able to do that. (Wiping and re-installing your Mac from scratch might possibly solve it, but I don't know.)

Alternatively, why not try the third-party TouchBase drivers that others' have recommended as being more reliable and flexible?
Best regards, Martin.

organtechnology

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 am

Seems there is some kind of problem with Keytec drivers both for PC and MAC. I have the identical problem with the current drivers for Win 7 2.61.03 USB MM and a rollback to Multimonitor 2.52 USB Windows 7 is not resolving the issue e. The Keytec drivers simply seem to forget the calibration from one session to the next and in some cases only on the second monitor.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

JRP

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi - I have had a fantastic experience with TouchBase drivers installed them on a Mac driving 2 touch screen Acer monitors. The original installation didn't work but the technical support was extremely fast and it solved the problem. I would support the previous post to uninstall the current drivers and install the evaluation TouchBase drivers.

organtechnology

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:52 pm

organtechnology wrote:Seems there is some kind of problem with Keytec drivers both for PC and MAC. I have the identical problem with the current drivers for Win 7 2.61.03 USB MM and a rollback to Multimonitor 2.52 USB Windows 7 is not resolving the issue e. The Keytec drivers simply seem to forget the calibration from one session to the next and in some cases only on the second monitor.

Thomas

The problem seems to be solved for now. Removed all of the Keytec drivers from the computer and the zip files and then brought back a new download of Multimonitor 2.52 USB Windows 7 zip file. Installed this version using the previously published steps including Uninstalling 2.52, disconnecting the panels and rebooting.

Since the Keytec Apple drivers are not yet past 10.7, I think checking out Touchbase might be a good idea. The free version has enough touches for proving the system.

Best regards,

Thomas

mdyde

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Hello Antoni,

In answer to your email to email (to keep the topic in one place):

Antoni Scott wrote:Hello Martin:

This calibration issue has been going on for months. Its very frustrating. Because I have the Macpro, fortunately I have all of my Hauptwerk files backed up on one of the other drives. The Keytec calibration works on the earlier version of Hauptwerk but not the present Version that I use all the time. I'm not suggesting its the Hauptwerk software but I am saying that the calibration stays calibrated on the earlier version. Perhaps you haven't personally dealt with Keytec, but their customer service person (...), a Mr. Robby Yu, is anything but helpful. He is suggesting that Mac's are difficult to write software for stating that Windows is easier, and basically it is not worth their time to trouble-shoot a problem such as mine. He also states that they do not make the particular model touch-screen I have. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with my issue at hand other than saying they can't be bothered. It took me several months of calling to finally get him to screen-share my computer to extract a diagnostic file that he could forward to his tech dept. That was a few months ago.

At least I can use the touch screen but I have to calibrate it each time I use Hauptwerk. It just won't save the calibration data. The answer is probably very simple for someone that wants to deal with it.

Antoni

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having a problem, and haven't been having much luck getting KeyTec to help you with it.

However, I need to stress again that this is *NOT* a problem in Hauptwerk, or in any way due to, or related to Hauptwerk itself. Again, if it worked on your other operating system hard-drive which had Hauptwerk v4.0 on it, but doesn't on your new hard-drive, then that's nothing whatever to do with the Hauptwerk version, or with Hauptwerk -- it's due to some other difference in those two operating system installations. As I mentioned you should be able to see for yourself that it isn't related to Hauptwerk because the issue will occur regardless of what application you're using, and even if you don't launch Hauptwerk at all.

As various people have suggested, probably the best option is to un-install the KeyTec drivers, and use the recommended third-party TouchBase ones instead. However, I have no first-hand experience myself with any touch-screen makes, models, hardware, or drivers, so I'm not in the best position to advise.

I do sympathise that you feel that you need help with it, and presumably you feel reluctant to try the TouchBase drivers yourself, but I'm sorry -- I can't help you with it. Just because I make one particular piece of software that you use on the computer it doesn't mean that I can be responsible for looking after the computer itself. If you need help with these kinds of general computer issues then you need to find somebody near you with some Mac experience, such as a computer shop. Lots of computer shops offer services to help people resolve their computer issues, and you live in a populous part of the world, so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to find a good local one.

If you don't know anyone personally who could visit you to help you with computer issues then find a good local computer shop that understands Macs (e.g. perhaps an approved Mac reseller) and that provides that type of service, take the computer to them, and print out this forum topic so that they can see what the problem is, and what probably needs to be done to resolve it (i.e. un-install the KeyTec drivers and instead install the TouchBase drivers).
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Technical support