It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

SSD faster storage

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

unclegally

SSD faster storage

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello.
I have various sample sets already installed on my traditional hard disk C drive where Hauptwerk is installed. I'm interested in getting samples to load faster and so have purchased an SSD drive which is installed and formatted NFTS as the L drive.
I'm now at a loss on what to do. If I copy the rar file to the new drive, and attempt installation from there, the initial action is to unpack the rar files onto a temporary location on the C drive. Is there something in Hauptwerk which allow you to define the location of installed files. Do I need to un-install each organ from the C drive for licence purposes? Or does Haupterk software need to be installed on the same drive as the samples?
Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

telemanr

Re: SSD faster storage

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm

You don't need to uninstall anything.
Rerun the HW installer and choose Custom. You can then choose where to store certain files.
You JUST want to store the cache files on the SSD. Those are what is used when you load an organ. That's when you want speed up.
Rob Enns

magnaton

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Here is a past thread that may be also helpful with additional details:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16115

Danny B.

mdyde

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 am

Hello unclegally,

[Topic moved here.]

Yes -- to confirm others' replies, you need to re-run the installer to move the installation as desired. The 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version) and the 'Changing installation locations' section (page 25) cover it in more detail.

Depending on the size of your new L: drive (SSD), in the 'custom' option in the installer you could either choose to put all of the installation folders on it (if it was very big), or (more commonly), you could choose just to put the 'Internal working data' and 'User data' components on it (which are the speed-critical ones) but keep the 'Sample sets and components' component (which is very large, but not particularly speed-critical) on your C: drive.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support