It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Inexplicable fade out sound but not mechanical noise

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

elia

Inexplicable fade out sound but not mechanical noise

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

On OSX 10.12.5 Hauptwerk is configured with Jack Audio and Ardour DAW. Hauptwerk use 7*12 monophonic audio output.

Using Velesovo Dry happens that in a seemingly inexplicable way the sound fades out quickly to the point that the instrument has to be reloaded (Load button) to bring it back to the normal situation.
The odd thing is that the sound does not work while the keystroke mechanical sounds.

All sounds are routed to the same audio group and only the bass in another group.

It comes to mind if there can be a special MIDI input code that creates the fade out effect?
Elia

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Inexplicable fade out sound but not mechanical noise

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello Elia,

There's no function directly too fade out an organ via MIDI command (unless perhaps you somehow mapped a continuous controller to the main volume slider in the control panels? But then that setting would be recalled upon loading the organ again and it would still be quiet). Perhaps it is the wind system getting shut off somehow causing the virtual wind to cease and therefore losing sound?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

elia

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello Brett,
thanks for the answer and for the useful indications. As soon as possible I try to understand what's going on. I will let you know what this strange dynamic depends on ...
myRegards,
Elia
Elia

dhm

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm

I have had a few customers reporting that the sound faded out on the Velesovo set, and the only way to get sound back was to re-load the organ.
Then they discovered the stop marked "Calcant", which turns off the wind...... :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

josq

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes, check the Calcant stop.

engrssc

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Just curious, why would there be such a control esp mounted in a (Hauptwerk stop location). I understand having a blower switch, but this seems a bit unusual, yes? :o : Does it, in fact, control the wind "pressure", being a rotary control?

I always thought these rank controls should be called "starts" rather than "stops". . :roll: No doubt has to do with (real) pipe organ functions. Yet according to the dictionary - An organ stop (or just stop) is a component of a pipe organ that admits pressurized air (known as wind) to a set of organ pipes.

Rgds,
Ed

josq

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 am

I guess it's the price of realism to have such confusing "functionality" in a sample set.

In Europe, it is however not very unusual to have a Calcant stop which controls the wind supply.

engrssc

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:19 am

Looking further, apparently this "stop" was used by an organist to signal person(s) to begin (or discontinue) manually supplying air to the organ, yes? The Mormon Tabernacle originally used water power from a flowing stream to turn the air supplying mechanism for the organ. Early green power? I think I recall hearing that the "stream" was re-routed to pass by the Tabernacle in order to provide this energy. Kinda neat. 8) Compare that to supplying "energy" to operate a Hauptwerk organ (today).

Rgds,
Ed

josq

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 4:52 am

True, on some organs the calcant stop rings a little bell to alarm this person (the calcant).
However, the Velesovo organ is very modern, so nowadays "calcant" refers to activating the wind supply.

IainStinson

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 am

Many years ago,I played the pipe organ at school. The blower was activated by a stop located on its own to the left of the other tabs. It was exactly the same type of KA stop as the speaking stops on the instrument. The builder used the same way of starting the bloweron a number of their instruments.

The organ in the Organ Room at Glyndebourne (now only a case and console) has a stop named Blower II at the bottom of the left hand jamb.

On the subject of blowing,if you've not seen it before, take a look at the YouTube video about the water power blown organ at St. Munis. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNHkCc9P_A4

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

Return to Technical support