It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Pitch change using Reaper

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mmayse

Pitch change using Reaper

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 am

I've got something really strange going on. I am experimenting with a set up using Reaper for a little additional reverb. I set it up using the Hauptwerk AU/VST Plug-in Tutorial. It works fine, except for some odd reason the pitch is about 1.25 notes lower than normal pitch. I've checked all of the settings for pitch, temperament, transposition, etc. and I don't find anything out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions? Where should I be looking to see what's going on? I'm sure I've checked some box I shouldn't have, but I've reviewed all the steps and it looks ok.

Thanks so much for your help!

Max

mdyde

Re: Pitch change using Reaper

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello Max,

[Topic moved here.]

You need to set the host project's sample rate set to the same sample rate that the organ loaded in Hauptwerk uses/requires (48 kHz for most commercial sample sets, but 44.1 kHz for St. Anne's). Here's the relevant excerpt from the 'Using an AU/VST host to apply real-time reverb' section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 184 in the current version):

"Create a project in your AU/VST host software for the organ (sample set) you intend to use, and ensure that its sample rate is set to the sample set’s native sample rate (otherwise the organ may sound at the wrong pitch). If you use several different organs then you may wish to create a separate project for each distinct native sample rate they use (such as 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz) and load the appropriate one with each organ according to its native sample rate."
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mmayse

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am

Of course, you're right. That was exactly the issue. Once I managed to get the sample rate set (for some reason my interface driver got hosed in the process of doing all this), it worked perfectly.

This is a custom sample set that I recorded and processed at 48k and Reaper was set at 44.1k.

THANK YOU so much for all you do!

Max

mdyde

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks, Max.

You're very welcome. Glad to hear it's working properly now.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing